BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Guys.

Im looking for a wheel cleaning solution to get rid of Race Pad Break Dust.

There is a wheel cleaner on 'i4detailing' called 'Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
Bulk Wheel Cleaning Solution'. This looks pretty good but it says - Not for use on polished aluminum or anodized wheels.

This suitable for standard trophy wheels or not? If not can anyone recommend a wheel cleaner to eliminate stubborn break dust.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think Matt uses the Bright wheels stuff which is also good for inside the wheel arches. If that doesn't work you'll probably have to go for one of the acid based ones which are fine if used sparingly(i use a bit on a cloth to rub in and then wash off straight away)
Last time i did my wheels each one took an hour and a half but that was cleaning,sealing and then protecting. It comes off a lot easier now though.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
What products did you use for sealing and protecting.?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you really want to go to town;

AG SRP
then
AG EGP
then
Poorboys wheel sealant

I used Dodo Lime Prime then Britmax sealant and then the poorboys.

Still won't stop you kerbing the buggers though :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers Hoolio.
Ill look in to it. I hate cleaning the wheels, Its a pain in the arse taking them off all the time , and they take ages to clean properly. The race pads dont help.
How are the RS4-2's for break dust, looking to get a set when the Mintex Wear out.

amm

Reaction score
go on to yozzasports web site they have a wheel cleaner that will sort out most race pad dust the small test sample yoz gave me worked on the race pad dust on my wheels

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers 'Amm'.
Ive ordered some Bright Wheels from I4D, hope this will work. If not ill try yozza.

Hoolio,
Ive already got AG SRP and EGP, Didnt think about using it on the wheels as the EGP is pretty expensive. Think ill give it a try to see if the results are worth it, but as you say it might be worth doing it so that the Brake dust comes off easier!

Day

Reaction score
I've been using the Meguiar's Super Degreaser to good effect recently :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben, I've been pleasantly suprised about everything about the RS4-2's, they don't seem to be any worse than the Renault ones when it comes to dust but then again i don't use it a huge ammount and seem to wash it more :) having said that the last time i took it out the discs were hot for the best part of two hours so there would of been a lot of hot stuff flying around. I'm in the middle of a spring clean at the moment so i'll know more when i take the wheels off again.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
wait until the buggers are bedded in - mine need doing every w/e now :(

Pretty much do that anyway dirty or not :oops:

How many miles did it take to bed them in? (track miles) and are they any noisier?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i've done around 3k on them since fitting them. The first 2k was a mix of road and track miles - they remained quiet and dust free, comparitively.

The last 1k though is a different story. i actually thought they'd worn out at one point as it sounds as though the base plate is doing the braking lol.. But they're fine... just rumble a lot and the odd squeal every now and again.

Reaction score
Went to town today and did the two front wheels with AG UDS (Ultra Deep Shine) and the AG EGP as I had them both in the cupboard. Now it's Permaguarded no need for polishes any more! I didn't use the Poorboys 'sealant' as I didn't have that knocking about. Hoolio do you think 'sealing' them will make a lot of difference as I'd have thought that all that polish and lacqer would do the trick.

I noticed when I was polishing there were tiny, tiny, tiny amounts of pitting, black spots that couldn't be polished off. Other than that they now look mint. It'll be interesting to see how easy they'll be to clean now.

It's not a fun, quick or easy job :) Easier if you take the wheels off I guess. I was sitting on the ground...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gordon said:
Easier if you take the wheels off I guess. I was sitting on the ground...

Yep, the wheel brush i've got means i have to wear full chemical suit and B/A if i clean them on the car.
The Poorboys is just an extra layer of dedicated wheel protecter that's all and i'm a sucker for pots and potions.
Like Cue said the best protection is to do them regularly.