Property ladder? How about Property Snake!

Reaction score
Hardly surprisng that prices have dropped a little given the time of year and current borrowing situation. Apart from a couple of houses it seems to average about 5%. Doesn't bother me as a buyer. Just don't stretch yourself too far.

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
They're still gonna need to plummit a lot more before I can afford anything reasonable :(

:lol: You should try living down here, you wouldn't be qualifying that statement with the 'reasonable' bit.

Reaction score
Not too bad in Sunderland or surrounds of Newcastle a lot for 80 k. I just like living at home!!

Could be off into RAF in Feb so I wait for a free bed!!

Reaction score
I bought my place for £120k 5 years ago, and mortgage is now ~£85k

House three doors up, more or less identical, now up for £263,500

They'll have to fall a hell of a long way before I poop my pants.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i bought my semi for £123k, the house it's attached to went the week after for £250k, then the people that bought it ripped the guts out - their identical apart from I have a drive and off road parking as opposed to a garage.

Had mine valued 6 months later (remortage) and it came in at £200k, all i'd done was paint the walls, which were purple lmao (hence the rock bottom price, people just don't seem to look beyond decor). I think i'm as safe as they come from any housing crash :)

Reaction score
Think if I left home the Trophy would probably have to go - one of the main reasons I'm content to stay at home for the time being, despite constant moaning from the missus :lol:

Reaction score
In a 25 year cycle interest rates will average at 7.5%, that means that sometime in the next 15 years they will be a lot higher than they are now. I would be wary of having a large mortgage on a non-fixed low rate as even small increments of interest are magnified when rates are low. In all likelihood the truth about the depth of the sub-prime lending problem is being kept from us to prevent instability in the economy. I suspect that whatever they say about lack of housing stock, there will be a crash of some description in the future which will enable people to get on the housing market who until now haven't been able to. E.g. The changes in capital gains tax in April may encourage too many buy to let investors puitting their property on the market thus bringing prices down. Until you can buy or move, I'd put your money in sustainable investment funds which are likely to outperform property in the next five years - bridge that gap a little!

Reaction score
artdealer said:
IUntil you can buy or move, I'd put your money in sustainable investment funds which are likely to outperform property in the next five years - bridge that gap a little!
After taking a sensible portion to buy a car from a reputable independent dealer of course :wink: :)

Reaction score
Haha, I'll add my investment tip commission to the deal then..

All joking aside the CIS fund has gone up about 25% p/a last few years, as Einstein said, "Compound interest is the eigth wonder of the world" ;)