Reaction score
Hi all,

Just noticed the other day that my discs were VERY uneven. There are a lot of groves and this has made the braking squeek and braking hard very untrustworthy.

My question to you knowledgeable people is whether it's simply a case of replacing the discs & pads or is there something more sinister? I've heard that it could be because of alignments, bearings and other scenarios!

Could someone clear this up for me because im gonna plump for some new Brembo Max discs and Pagid Pads and don't want the same thing to happen on them aswell!!

Thanks

Hon

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
is this just on the fronts or the rears as well?

i've seen some things on CS that suggest when the OEM pads wear down they can score the disks - it would be around 5 mm in from the edges of the disks (inner and outer) if yours is the same problem.

If not try this:

Find an empty bit of straight road, accelerate up to 60 (not hard, the speed is more important than how fast you get there) and brake hard down to a standstill, obviously make sure there isn't anything behind you when you do it.

Repeat this exercise 3 or 4 times and see if things have improved.

The reason: The OEM brakes can get encrusted with rust quite easily and this can cause scouring of the disks, you need to get some heat into the disks under heavy load too scrub them. Make sure the disks are warm though as you don't want to 'glaze' them.

Also note down if you find the car pulling under the braking.

Failing that it could be the pads causing the scouring. Personally I'd change the pads, disks, lines and fluid (which is what i did) but it's not exactly cheap, Max disks will set you back around the £90 mark at the mo.

Reaction score
Thanks for you detailed reply on this Cue.

Using my spidey senses, I have a suspicion that its the pads that are causing the scouring. I took the car out last night and tried some "heavy" braking and the brakes fade when the brakes are hit. The steering is a bit juddery and the car just doesn't feel like it particularly wants to stop!! This was done when the brakes were gently warmed up.

Is it possible that anything would cause this problem? Bearings, alignment, etc? Reason Im asking is because when I get the new kit ie. discs, pads + fluid I don't want the same to happen again if its something else that is causing this.

Thanks for your input in this.

Hon

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the pads being low and nearing the end of their life can cause all of the symtoms you've listed. The will overheat easier also when down to their minimum.

Reaction score
Cue said:
the pads being low and nearing the end of their life can cause all of the symtoms you've listed. The will overheat easier also when down to their minimum.

Yep, mine displayed exactly this behaviour after a trip to Milton Keynes!! Pads were well on there way out....

Reaction score
What brake set up are people going for when they change? Are people sticking with standard or modifying?

Reaction score
I've read pretty much every single post on this forum regarding brakes and the general concensus seems to be either the Brembo HC's or Brembo Max with Ferodo DS2500's. If you want something more track orientated it would be the Brembo Max's with other pads.

Thing is, I'm not gonna go on a track and don't usually drive like a looney, so I'm very tempted to just change the brake fluid and new OEM discs and pads all around.

The Brembo HC's and DS2500's should set you back less than £200 delivered if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
What are the DS2500's like for dust?

I would like an upgrade but dont want the old problem of brake dust eating lacquer off my turinis

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
I would like an upgrade but dont want the old problem of brake dust eating lacquer off my turinis

If you take the wheels off & give them a proper clean, seal & wax they should be ok as long as you keep the sealant & waxed topped up I'd of thought buddy :wink:

Reaction score
Yes i would have to agree with you there Trophy176, but then again you are bound to get dust from any pad/disc combo - just a matter of how much. At the end of the day you still have to end up on your hands and knee's cleaning it.

I find that WonderWheels are fricking amazing at turning your wheels back to new, but again, some people don't like this product because of its strong corrosive nature. I find if you only use it occasionaly, say once a month, and rinse them well afterwards, there's usually no problem. Used them on my old Oettinger alloys for 2 years and they were fine.

Hon

PS can't give my 2p on what the Brembo & 2500's will do to your wheels though!

Reaction score
I've heard that the DS2500's really aren't too bad with brake dust.

I'm still running a standard setup but have some Brembo Max's and am just trying to establish which pads to go for. The car is permaguarded but as far as wheel protection goes, I'm not that blown away so I decided to take all 4 wheels off the car, totally clean them and remove all tar etc then give them a coat of autoglym polish which I got free with a subscription to Auto express (promptly cancelled after my 3 issues for £1 ;)) Anyway, that protected my wheels really well for a couple of months at least. With regular 2 weekly cleaning, the water was once again beading over the wheels. So i highly recommend spending a couple of hours giving your wheels a little tlc! :D

Reaction score
Aye been proper scrubbing the wheels recently but then week later massive build up!! I am currenlty using my fathers Simonz wheel cleaner that Audi gave him with new TT!

Tight northerner