Reaction score
Don't worry, this isn't spam, and I did a couple of searches and couldn't find anything similar, so apologis if it's a double post.

This is a legit online petition, feel free to go through the normal 10 Downig Street page ( http://www.pm.gov.uk ) if you think it's a spam engine.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.
The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the
BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a
delivery driver. A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit* there is potential for an additional fine with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

Please pass this on to anyone who owns a car/motorcycle. It affects
them.

* Its not limited to speeding. They also know where parking restrictions
etc are located, nd you! This is a freedom as well as a financial issue.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Thanks Portland, signed and forwarded to everyone I know. Not signing it is the equivilent of saying "Yes, I'd like to pay more tax and have fewer civil liberties." Plain and simple. For those people I suggest making a political donation to the Government for the increase and forwarding evidence of all traffic law infringements daily to the police. Then killing yourself.

Reaction score
just signed this bad boy......... bloody government!!!

they want money for everything....next there will be a tax on air!

Reaction score
LOL, theres a petition for those in favour to get numbers as a balance.

So far, 2 sigs for, 204782 against!

:D

Reaction score
Steve - are you sure you wouldn't save money under the new scheme too? :D

O.

Reaction score
From the petition page: "It will be an unfair tax on those who live apart from families".

Hmmm... do people visit their families at peak times, Monday to Friday? The guys who set this up maybe don't realise that it is unlikely that there will be a charge to use the road on weekends and that it is likely to be *cheaper* to visit their families on weekends than it is at the moment...

Ahhh, nothing like a misinformed public, eh? :(

The Government needs to make their intentions and charge structure public and provide clarity to all those who have made the wrong assumptions about the proposed system. Now *that* would be a petition to sign!

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
From the petition page: "It will be an unfair tax on those who live apart from families".

Hmmm... do people visit their families at peak times, Monday to Friday? The guys who set this up maybe don't realise that it is unlikely that there will be a charge to use the road on weekends and that it is likely to be *cheaper* to visit their families on weekends than it is at the moment...

Ahhh, nothing like a misinformed public, eh? :(

The Government needs to make their intentions and charge structure public and provide clarity to all those who have made the wrong assumptions about the proposed system. Now *that* would be a petition to sign!

O.

The testing has already shown that for most drivers, this scheme would be more expensive, and let's be frank, the government are hardly going to introduce a scheme that costs millions to implement and earns them less revenue. And besides, it's the infringement of personal liberty which I am opposed to, what next - personal GPS devices implanted in our bodies? No, that isn't that great an intellectual leap and I would still be opposed to the scheme if I paid less tax with it (which I won't).

Show me some evidence to the contrary oliie, else I'll continue to be a proud member of a misinformed public, rather than a super-spy with insider secrets of no use to anyone.

Reaction score
Have there been trials run by the government? I don't think the government have even started the procurement process let alone decided on the charging strategy!

What I do know is that for Trucks (the scheme was scrapped) the scheme *was* going to be tax neutral. It was even supported by the transport union which is saying something! It would have meant that foreign trucks will be forced to pay to use the UK roads (wear and tear) while at the same time proving tax neutral for UK drivers.

I do agree that the whole personal tracking issue is going to be a problem... altough it may push our insurance premiums down! ;)

Either way it will be a huge initiative so I don't think we need to worry about it in the next few years... ;)

O.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
With you on this one Steve, i would gladly pay more for more environmental damage etc but strongly object to the spy in the sky aspect of this proposal.

Reaction score
It is all down to trust I guess.... :?

Oh well, I'll probably be sunbathing in Australia by the time a decision is made on this 8) :lol:

O.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Unfortunately trust and government are two words that are never seen in the same sentence. Except that one :)