Reaction score
So i recently got new tyres on the rear of my car so it would pass the MOT, it did pass but he said the fronts were getting close to the limit. So i swap the fronts to the rear of the car so they last a bit longer. Then there was a wobble at 60mph so after a nightshift i waited up till 9am and took it to a garage to get the fronts balanced only to find out they were going to charge £12 per wheel so i swiftly walked out. Took it to another garage and they said it would be 30min wait so i waited. 1hr later they came to me and said there balance machine wasnt working. So then i drove to another garage and again had to wait 30mins which turned out to be 45min and cost £10, the bloke comes out and says your car is ready, we are just tightening the wheel nut up, just as a walk to the car the lad is tightening the final nut up and i hear a big crack, my initial thoughts were he has just sheered that nut, my initial thoughts were correct. The top boy comes and has a look and said it was a big job to remove it and started moaning about it, he said he would have to strip the caliper and disk to get it out. Now I have removed plenty of sheered bolts at work to know its not a big job if you have the correct tools so i knew he was talking crap. I had at that point been awake for 26hrs and wasnt in the best of moods so i said just put the wheel on and i will do it myself. I then drove about for 1hr looking for somewhere that sold wheel nuts.
When i got home i decided i wouldnt be able to sleep untill it was fixed so i got my tools out, tried drilling the centre of it so i could remove it but the drill bits wouldnt touch it. Then decided to remove the caliper and disk to get easy access to it but i couldnt find a socket big enough for the nut in the centre of the disk, i then noticed there was 2 ridges in the bit of stud left in the hole so i got a flat head driver and it came straight out. Great i thought, so i put the wheel back on and put the nut back in only to find the new nut i bought was 1.5mm too long and was bottoming out so then had to file it down, tried again and it was spot on.
So what was a 10min job costing £10 ended up being a 5hr job costing £25 buy the time i had bought the nut and drove approx 50mile finding a garage that could do the balance and a garage that had a nut.
I ended up being awake for about 30hrs with only 3hrs sleep the day before, then when i went to bed the neigbours decided it would be a good idea to get new roof tiles fitted, not just a few but the whole roof! So i only ended up getting 2hrs sleep.
Took it for a drive and its now solid as a rock, no wobble in the wheels at all but fcuk me i was tired.
I thought the dampers may need a referb but after putting the exaltos on the front it now feels like new.
I thinking about putting Hankooks on the rear, are they any good?????

Reaction score
What a hulabaloo!!! Unusual to hear of a wheel bolt snapping. :?

I'd stick with 4 tyres all the same personally, if you can find some more PE2s. :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my locking wheel nut bolt snapped once, they snap at around 130nm of torque or above, so if they've put the wheel back on and just tightened it then it doesn't surprise me that it's gone.

After my escapade i learned to always do them up using a torque wrench. set at between 105 & 110nm