Reaction score
A while ago when we had all the serious downpour in cumbria My T leaked in through the boot into the drivers foot well - out came the interior to give it a full drying. Since then it has been fine until..... I was on the way back for surrey the other week and it rained on the way home.

Got back home and weather was fine. Parked up and noticed alot of water coming out of the rear jacking point. Had a look under the drivers seat and it was soaking! just the drivers side? again dried it all up, since then its been fine (we have had little rain) I had the aircon on the other day and it rained the other day - I had a check up in the drivers footwell and the foam was slightly damp???? no sings of were its coming and I had a hose pipe on it the other day trying to see......

Any ideas?????

alot of people say the aircon can cause it also door seals

Reaction score
You have the first 2 obvious things to check in your post; aircon drain pipe blockage can cause the problem - door seals should be easy to check with a hose pipe; carpets removed and inside dried before you test. Check the windscreen seal also. If it's not these then it could be more sinister (corrosion around panel seams/mastic or accident damage perhaps??

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I had a leak in my old 172 Cup that used to fill the space under the read bench (just on top the tank) and used to leak down into the rear footwells. After many hours of swearing in the cold with a hose pipe on the car, I manged to locate the leak. It was on the roof, undearneath the plastic trims that start at the middle and go to the back of the car. I pulled one off, found the smallest of holes which is where the water is collecting and then pooring in the car. Filled it in and it was fine!

Not sure if yours is this, but it maybe worth checking. As it could be a hole near the B pillar and running down the inside of the car and collecting in the footwell.

Reaction score
All fixed!!!!!!!!! :lol: found a thread on cliosport of someone having the same problem.

Seemed to be a build up of shite behind the wheel arch blocking the water drain from the sill. When I got in there OMG how much build up!!!!! no wonder..........

I would defiantly advice people to check theirs !

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Where's that then? Is it front or rear and have you got any pictures of exactly where peeps should be checking. This is probably quiet important as its almost certainly a spot where they will rust. Much like the build up of dirt inside the lip of the rear arch.

Reaction score
Wet footwell

I have basically narrowed this down to drainage.
The clio has 4 drainage points behind the sill which can get blocked - or the drainage in the wheel arch.

Firstly try the drainage points behind the sill - picture below:
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... oholes.jpg

Simply use a small pin or piece of wire (strong enough not to flex) to poke them clear... this is a 2 minute job and doesnt need the car jacking up.

If these seem clear then its most likely the arch liner being clogged - this is a 15 minute job which again requires no jacking up.

Fistly turn wheel to full lock to reveal arch you wish to clear (whichever is wet)

Secondly undo the torx bolt at the base of the arch, and remove the 2 plastic plugs circcled below - i used a screwdriver and pliers - be carefull these can break.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... lio004.jpg

Once removed i simply lifted the arch liner on to my wheel out the way:

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... lio007.jpg

Once out the way you will find a foam sheat behind:

Pull this down and it will come out:

Next you will most likely find tonnes of crap at the base of the pillar: this needs to be removed by any means - i used water fingers, wire, screwdrivers, basically anything that can remove muck!

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... lio006.jpg

Then once satisfied it is clear - replace all components in reverse, and then test by pouring water down the corner of your screen on the side it is wet - you should see this at the base of your car:

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... lio008.jpg

Job done!

The ammount of muck in mine is 5 years and 20k miles!!! and thats all been in birmingham!!! so if you have an older car with more miles - it may be worth looking in to.

Reaction score
Nice walk through! Did mine recently a bit grubby to say the least!

What are those rims btw?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think Rich has just used the pics from CS as that's not even a sport and his is much cleaner. But well done I generally stuff a hose in that section, front and rear.

Reaction score
Its well worth the time in removing the parts and having a good clean out! couldn't believe how much shite there was in there!!

Yeah I took them off Clio sport forum!