Reaction score
I've just suffered a broken front spring and have decided to send both front Sachs dampers down to BG Motorsport at Silverstone for a rebuild while they are off.

BG Motorsport are Eibach dealers so it would be useful if I could provide the Eibach Part No. to them rather than the Renault No. (8200514730 as I understand).

I've actually dispatched the units already so I can't check if the number was printed on the spring itself .... anyone know what it is or have a chance to look?

Thanks

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've got a spare set hanging around at home I'll have a look this evening if you post your car number in the register :)

Reaction score
hoolio said:
I've got a spare set hanging around at home I'll have a look this evening if you post your car number in the register :)

Roger that ... deal ;)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just need to go and do some jobs on the 5 whilst its still light then home later.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Typical just dug them out from the back of the lockup and the only number on them is the number you have already posted above.

Reaction score
No problemo and thanks for going to the trouble.

If Ben at BG Motorsport can come up with a part number by speaking with Eibach directly, I'll be sure to post it. I'll perhaps try to have it added to the existing sticky relating to the Sachs rebuilds. I've noticed that a few folk have started reporting snapped springs. Taking the decision to replace them with something non-standard is far less clear cut with the Trophy than it might be with most other cars due to the significant contribution the Sachs/Eibach combination has in making the Trophy the special car it is.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have been pondering this and it makes more sense than it seems, iirc renault commissioned the springs to go with the dampers and they have a very soft rating, it may be that they are only available from renault but yes post if you find out different.

Reaction score
How common are snapped springs?

I have thought about bidding when I have seem em on ebay cos they do go quite cheap.

If you got the spring rates are there places that could custom wind them??

Reaction score
Ben from BG Motorsport has tried Eibach directly but drawn a blank. It does seem that the original springs are indeed only available from Renault directly.

I'm off to make Renault's day ... ouch!! :(

Reaction score
The best option would be to try to compare the Trophy springs (presumably you still have the two halves) with either Cup springs or Eibachs after market - the four variables are free length, number of coils, coil diameter and wire thickness. The modulus of the steel will not vary. Hoolio and I have access to a spring rate formula.

Reaction score
It's a good plan. I fact Ben at BG Motorsport made the suggestion of a set of appropriate Eibachs that would ride just 30mm lower, but I really don't want to risk changing the dynamics of the Trophy. The roads up here are lumpen so will soon show up any heavy-handedness in spring or dampting rates, geometry, etc.

Nope, I'm just gonna have to take it on the chin and cough up for the pukka Renault items.

Reaction score
PB.283 said:
How common are snapped springs?

Snapped springs are probably not all that common so far, but when the Sachs dampers lose their gas and no longer damp properly, then the spring has to cope with vibration of frequencies and sustained aplitudes that they would otherwise not have to, and therefore they can snap. As the Trophy gets older, more Sachs units will require servicing and the penalty for not doing so will most likley be a snapped spring.