Reaction score
My exhaust has recently started to sound really loud. It's standard but it’s turned quite boomy on the move and when stationary it resonates into the boot and is starting to get annoying.

It is due a service however I'm thinking the cat has gone? The engine is lumpy all of the time more than usual even after warming up.

Can someone help shed some light please?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Is it blowing anywhere ?
Technically if the cat has gone the emissions light should come on but I wouldnt rely on it as I have a decat fitted with the lamba sensor plugged in and there are no lights.

It may not necessarily be the exhaust. Best thing to do is get it serviced and ask them to diagnose the problem really

Reaction score
Ok thanks.

I've had a look to see if it is blowing but can't see/hear anything usual. What should I be looking for?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Generally if its blowing there will be a hissing noise and possibly water vapour dripping from the area where its blowing.
Is the engine ticking over nicely ? should be around 900 revs. Lacking in performance ?

Reaction score
Ok, no hissing noise or water but will check again tomorrow.

The engine seems to tick over fine and performance fine also. It just seems to be more lumpy than normal, more movement from the engine on idle down to the exhaust.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd bet at the exhausts blowing. they are made of very cheap and heavy material... to have got 4 years out of one is surprising.

Reaction score
Hmm noticed some water coming from the tail pipes and there is quite a bit of rust on the back boxes so thinking it could be the case.

It should be getting looked at next week.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Water dripping from the tail pipes is pretty normal, especially when cold.

Reaction score
The car went in today and both exhaust mounts had gone causing it to vibrate and fall slightly. :)

All new ones on now however I can see why they get a lot of stick :lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They probably get alot of stick because the backboxes will most likely be filled with water !

Reaction score
:lol:

It's a shame I don't like many of the after market exhausts tho. Plus I've had enough of having the booming sound. I much prefer a quiet system that makes a nice noise when you give it some.