Exhaust Gas Monitor Warning 'Flashing'...

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,

Can you please help and explain what the Exhaust Gas Monitor Warning light 'Flashing' actually means in English. The eplanation in the handbook is as helpful as usual.

Can I drive the car slowly to the garaga 3 or 4 miles away?

The tempature gauge has been fluctuating too... it never goes above normal temp it always goes colder and it takes quite a long time for the car temp to warm up... Any ideas?

Thank you,

jsthomson

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I recon it could be either the coolant temp sensor or thermostat. I had the same issue and replaced the temp sensor and the issue was still there. Changed the stat and problem solved. Does your guage sit just below the normal (halfway) and then randomly drop? If so I would say stat.

Flashing emmisons light could be related to the guage issue. Mine used to flash in the past but I put it down to me having a different cat on the car instead of the OEM as I've got an Orbisound on mine.

Reaction score
Thank you for reply...

Your are exactly right re the thermostat issue.. will get the stat changed.

The flashing light issue the car does not want to go above certain speed is this normal... does that still sound like a gauge issue and will it be ok to drive to the garage.

jsthomson

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
If it won't rev it's probably in limp mode as it's detected a fault somewhere. It could be because it's detected a fault with the temperature due to the stat/coolant sensor playing up. Both are a really easy job so may as well get them from Reno and try fitting them yourself to see if it fixes the issue. Stat was about £18 and sensor was about £15.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Surely the two issues are separate though. The handbook states that the flashing engine icon is to do with emissions. The fluctuating temp gauge has been happening for a weekish with no flashing engine light.

So will it be ok to drive the car in limp mode to the garage or do i have to get it picked up.

Regards,

jsthomson

Reaction score
Hi,

The AA came and picked the car up this morning took it to the nearest Renault garage which wasn't really the nearest :) Thank you Mr AA man...

His diagnosis tool said it was miss firing on cylinder 1 and I shouldnt drive it.

The car is at Renault now so fingers crossed its only the coil.

jsthomson