Reaction score
Hi there. Ive just had my Cam Belt, Aux belt and water filter changed. I test drove it after and got a funny sound in low revs when i floored it in 1st. Sounded like the air box had been left off, but only at low revs and when i floored it.

Anyway, took it back to the mechanic and he tightened the engine mount at the top on the left hand side of the engine bay,it had aparently slipped.

Anyway, that solved it for a while (about 30miles of driving) then it started happening again. He's now said that the engine mout has gone and i need a new one...

has anyone had the same problem/could offer me advice? Is this a regular problem? He showed me one he had done from another clio sport and the rubber had cracked, had a look at mine and said the same??

Reaction score
Are they standard ones? They do tend to go after a while and can lead to problems with the exhaust moving and cracking the cat

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As Matt says,it sounds feasible that is where the problem lies.

Reaction score
yeah they are the standard ones. been to a garage today to get a 2nd opinion and they think its one of the arms at the bottom of the engine near the exhaust gasket and also the main one to the left of the engine by the cam belt. Going to get it done next week hopefully. Parts are £100 from Reno, dont know how much fitting will cost, doesnt look like a lengthy job, think ill try and negotiate a good deal with the guy who fitted the belt as he's the one that disturbed them and now need doing!

Reaction score
Your better off getting powerflex bushes for your enging mounts and lower twisted dogbone mount or inline whichever your car has. do you find the gear lever moving during acceleration as this is a common fault with the lower engine mount and when fitting poly bushes you reduce the movement loads as it stops the engine moving as much during acceleration and as matt says the standard ones can cause problems with rattling heat shields and cracked exhaust joints.

Reaction score
Ive had the top mount replaced this morning and its noticably different but the noise is still there in first. Had the AA out and they had a check of wheels/driveshaft and couldnt see anything.

Yep the gearstick moved alot during accelleration, the mechanic suggested getting the bottom mount arm done aswell but i thought id save some £ and just go for one and see if that cures the problem so it looks like ill be getting the lower one done.

The other thing is that the top mount appears to be slipping out of line, would this be a characteristic of the lower mount needing to be done (ie the engine moving more and therefore putting more pressure on the top mount)

Reaction score
Just been into a couple of garages who have both had it up on a ramp and said theres nothing wrong with the dogbone mount at the bottom of the engine. Im desperate to get this fixed now as its really pi**ing me off, close to taking it to Reno (must be bad!)

The only thing i can think now is that is has something to do with the 'slipping' of the top engine mount next to the oil filler cap. - Its almost like its not secured properly and needs some locking washers, but ive called reno and theres nothing missing. Any ideas will be much appreciated....