Clio 172 Mk II streering wheel wear and tear

Reaction score
The steering wheel on my Clio 172 Mk II is starting to deteriorate. The rubber thumb insert on the left of the steering wheel has came loose and on some places the leather is gone (see pics).

My Renault dealer said that with all RS the rubber thumb insert will come of after a couple of years. Because this falls under the category wear and tear it's not covered under warranty. The only thing they could do is fit a completely new steering wheel, which would set me back a couple of hundred Euros.

For the time being I fixed it myself with some super glue. I was wandering if any of you have had the same problems with the steering wheel?

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,487

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steering wheel wear is quite a hot topic at the moment. I know lots of people who have had the thumb grips start to peel away, and there's been a few incidences where the wheel material has just melted from the heat of the sun.

As you say, Renault are refusing to honour warranty claims on steering wheels of cars over 1 year old as they say it is a 'wear and tear' item. Clearly you should not be expecting to replace a steering wheel after such a short amount of time. The amount of people having problems with this shows that they must be poorly manufactured to me.

You might want to follow this thread over on Cliosport:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151374

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. :)

So it's already happeing on cars that were just over 1 year old. So you could say that I was lucky that my wheel lasted for almost 4 years and 57000 miles. :wink:

Edit: typo.

Reaction score
Rutger said:
Thanks for the link. :)

So it's already happeing on cars that were just over 1 year old. So you could say that I was lucky that my wheel lasted for almost 4 years and 57000 miles. :wink:

Edit: typo.

I had encountered the problem as well when my RS is about 1.5 years old.
Most Clios here in Taiwan have the so called " wear and tear" problem with their steering wheels.
And the dealer here do not support the warranty either.
Be positive, its a right time for you to get a momo or sparco... :D