Brand New Sachs. (Group Buy)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hollio - i was talking about the front's. As I said in the later post i thought the rears were the same sachs units but couldn't remember what the cup had fitted to it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So...

In the end, if I want to replace the rear dampers, Renaultpartsdirect are saying I need Cup units. You are all more knowledgeable than I am. Is a Cup damper the same as on the car originally or is it the best compromise but not far off?
Mine are original and not leaking but just looking to rebuild the front suspension and wondered about the rear shock absorbers too?
Thanks

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So...

In the end, if I want to replace the rear dampers, Renaultpartsdirect are saying I need Cup units. You are all more knowledgeable than I am. Is a Cup damper the same as on the car originally or is it the best compromise but not far off?
Mine are original and not leaking but just looking to rebuild the front suspension and wondered about the rear shock absorbers too?
Thanks

The rear cup dampers are as close as and as you say probably the next best ( I believe Rik did a Dino test on both) after revalved Koni from Mark Fish (does he even still do these?) The cup are not exactly the same spec as the original Sachs but if your Sachs have been on there for 15 years they would have lost performance anyway and the cups will be a refresh.

Reaction score
Ok, so if they’re legit I’m in for the group buy.
One of mine is leaking after 4 years since last refurb. I can’t afford to keep doing that.
if Anyone has any updates I’d be grateful

Reaction score
They are legitimate, Optimiz access struck a deal with renault sport. He's bought back remaining stock of Twingo R1, R2, clio cup racer parts etc. These are genuine but be careful he is listing both 54mm and 60mm bolt spacing on the site but as dablk mentionned both say "pinned" because he just copied and pasted the same description and so does both say "60mm spacing", one of them is wrong obviously.

The link above is certainly the 54mm version as it says "clio" but "non cup" in the description. This one should be correct http://www.optimiz-access.fr/chassi...ts-sachs-trophy-entraxe-60mm-twingo-2-rs.html but ask him to make sure or ask me to do it for you :) This one set does include the additional scraper seal.
Hey, I’m thinking of going ahead and buying a set of these. Can you confirm for me that the Clio trophy is the 60mm?
my trophy is all standard so I wouldn’t be looking to adjust them really but would this be a problem as I’ve read they’re pinned?
Thanks
Em

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Emma,

I don’t think they have any left. We bought the whole lot as a group buy a couple of years ago after I found the company in France. There are some up for sale on the forum at the moment if you need a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi Emma,

I don’t think they have any left. We bought the whole lot as a group buy a couple of years ago after I found the company in France. There are some up for sale on the forum at the moment if you need a set.

Ahh man! I’m no good with forums, I see now this was a couple of years ago??
Thank you for getting back to me anyway

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Time flies! I wonder how many have made it into the cars yet?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Emma, if yours are leaking, then the front dampers can be refurbished - try BG Motorsport, Cornering Force or Rik Perry - I think Rik has a back log until early next year though, cornering force are slightly better for the wallet than BG, but BG are the main UK Sachs partners.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I will be visiting BGM soon.
For interest this is an extract from.an email from.them last week. We could organise a 'group refurbish'!
(joking :)

There isn’t really a ‘standard’ charge to re- build these dampers as it really depends on the condition of the struts, although most of the sets we’ve seen work out to cost around £480 per pair incl. vat, based on the springs being removed and the dampers cleaned before they arrive here. If we are to remove the springs and clean it adds a little to the cost.

The service includes a full strip and de-grease, inspection of working parts, replacement of all sliding seals and bushes with genuine Sachs parts and a pair of dual seal gas caps that we have developed especially for the Trophy. They are then re- built with new oil (obviously) and nitrogen charged, before being dyno tested to ensure a good match left to right.

However, of late we are starting to see some shafts that are scored and need changing. If they need a new shaft/shafts then there will be an additional cost of £140 each incl. vat, but we only change these if absolutely necessary and we will always discuss with you first.

We are able to provide a drop off service for your car, but we need it at least over night to allow a thread locking compound to set before rebuilding the dampers. With the removal and refitting this works out to around £675 incl. vat for the standard service.

If it is of interest we also offer a compression adjuster upgrade. The original adjuster assembly is pinned in place on the Trophy so we can replace it with a genuine Sachs Race Engineering working assembly which allows you to adjust the level of compression adjustment to either soften it, to make for a more comfortable ride on bumpy B roads, or stiffen it, for more spirited driving conditions. The cost of this adds another £263 per pair, incl. vat to the bill.

Finally one other ‘optional extra’ we offer is for the struts to be powder coated to make them look like new as well as offering some protection from corrosion. If you choose to have this done it adds about 3-4 days to the time we need the dampers as well as £132 incl. vat per pair to the bill. Please see attached photos.

If you decide to proceed, you will need to contact us to book them in so we can allocate parts and workshop time.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine are sat on the shelf. I’m wondering if cycling them occasionally would be beneficial to the seals so that they stay lubricated? I’d have to de-pin them as they’re quite stiff.

Reaction score
I suggested the group buy but gave mine up to another buyer as I didnt really need a set. With hindsight I should have bought them and sat on them, especially when folk are asking £1400 for a set

Reaction score
I will be visiting BGM soon.
For interest this is an extract from.an email from.them last week. We could organise a 'group refurbish'!
(joking :)

There isn’t really a ‘standard’ charge to re- build these dampers as it really depends on the condition of the struts, although most of the sets we’ve seen work out to cost around £480 per pair incl. vat, based on the springs being removed and the dampers cleaned before they arrive here. If we are to remove the springs and clean it adds a little to the cost.

The service includes a full strip and de-grease, inspection of working parts, replacement of all sliding seals and bushes with genuine Sachs parts and a pair of dual seal gas caps that we have developed especially for the Trophy. They are then re- built with new oil (obviously) and nitrogen charged, before being dyno tested to ensure a good match left to right.

However, of late we are starting to see some shafts that are scored and need changing. If they need a new shaft/shafts then there will be an additional cost of £140 each incl. vat, but we only change these if absolutely necessary and we will always discuss with you first.

We are able to provide a drop off service for your car, but we need it at least over night to allow a thread locking compound to set before rebuilding the dampers. With the removal and refitting this works out to around £675 incl. vat for the standard service.

If it is of interest we also offer a compression adjuster upgrade. The original adjuster assembly is pinned in place on the Trophy so we can replace it with a genuine Sachs Race Engineering working assembly which allows you to adjust the level of compression adjustment to either soften it, to make for a more comfortable ride on bumpy B roads, or stiffen it, for more spirited driving conditions. The cost of this adds another £263 per pair, incl. vat to the bill.

Finally one other ‘optional extra’ we offer is for the struts to be powder coated to make them look like new as well as offering some protection from corrosion. If you choose to have this done it adds about 3-4 days to the time we need the dampers as well as £132 incl. vat per pair to the bill. Please see attached photos.

If you decide to proceed, you will need to contact us to book them in so we can allocate parts and workshop time.

i really think there is a lot of hyperbole with this Sachs thing, it has become a stand or fall point on the sale of the cars. Service periods based on rumour have been established. Time based refurbs irrespective of mileage have likewise been set down. It can’t be argued that there is a need to make sure they are functional but for me if they perform with no visual signs of deterioration and some evidence of care the “must be serviced at x yrs” is irrelevant

Reaction score
T
Emma, if yours are leaking, then the front dampers can be refurbished - try BG Motorsport, Cornering Force or Rik Perry - I think Rik has a back log until early next year though, cornering force are slightly better for the wallet than BG, but BG are the main UK Sachs partners.
Thank you,
BG did them for me 4 years ago.
Only one is leaking now. I’ve just paid out for gearbox refurb so I can’t really afford the full works. Cooksport have quoted £144 for reseal and bushes which sounds good.
shame I missed the group buy...just a few years late??

Reaction score
does anyone try to install sachs twingo on clio trophy?
if i understand,the only main différence is 54 mm for twingo than 60 mm for clio.
i am thinking that it would be easy to transform 54 mm in 60 mm with drilling unit and a good drilling cutting tool