Ball Joints Problem

Reaction score
Hi all i went to replace my front lower ball joints this weekend i managed to do the one that was making a noise however the other one has the locking bolt seized in the hub so im going to take it to work and heat it up see if i can get it removed that way. If worst comes to worse i will have to cut and drill it out.
My question is can anyone let me know what bolt type it is i know its an M8 but not sure on length or strength i can only see what looks like a marking of 10 on the back and what looks like an 8. The bolt im on about is not the 2 x M12 bolts they hold the ball joint to the lower arm its the one in the hub that holds the ball joint in place.

Reaction score
From one mechanic to another: I found this bolt seized solid too, so took the wishbone and upright/hub off the car, which is very straight forward, and with the whole thing in a vice the bolt did knock out without too much fuss with my favourite FBH. It was just a case of getting a good hit on it, something which i'm sure you've found is very hard with it all in place on the car.

Sorry for not actually answering your question. But maybe this solution will avoid you needing to know the answer to your question..? (From the sounds of it it's a 10.8 bolt, btw. Couldn't say what size, but from memory I would guess at M10?)

Hope this helps.
Nick.

Reaction score
Hi Nick i did think about taking the hub off and trying a vice or i do have a press at work but if i did any damage would need another bolt to replace with hence the question. From what ive been looking at i think the stress limit is 10.9 and not sure on the number 8 in the middle but it looks to me like an M8 bolt. The only trouble is i only have stress limit bolts to hand of 8.8 so not sure there be strong enough. Im going to try heat the hub surrounding the bolt see it that frees it up so fingers crossed. Cheers for the update im glad im not the only one who struggled with this bolt i just couldn't believe it didn't move.

Reaction score
Just an update managed to get the bolt out with a bit of heat to the hub in situ. New bolts have been ordered with nuts as there stress bolts with fine thread at a cost of £14 from renault which aint too bad considering to order them in else where would have cost a lot more. The bolts are 10.9 strength i will measure at the weekend and its a M8 bolt.