Reaction score
Ive got PS3s fitted on the front and I honestly don't think theres much difference at all. The tread pattern is nearly identical to PE2s. Having said that I've had them fitted for about a month and it hasn't really been the best driving conditions lately.

Reaction score
Honestly I am a bit confused by this as my PS3's seem fine and at least equivalent to the PE2's.

Are you sure there isn't something else up with your car?

Reaction score
Uniroyal are a Michelin brand, so unsurprising that they are quite handy tyres.

is1

Reaction score
Gordon said:
Uniroyal are a Michelin brand, so unsurprising that they are quite handy tyres.

I think Uniroyal is a subsidiary of Continental but the point still stands! They are very handy and Uniroyal themselves have run out with deliveries promised for the New Year.

Reaction score
Take a look at slide 19 of 20 for the whole brand portfolio.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/front ... 11&lang=EN

Depending on the page the link takes you to (if it's not direct to presentation), select the 'identity card' presentation of the four available, then page 19.

Brands listed are Michelin, BFGoodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal, Warrior, Riken, Taurus, Siamtyre, Kormoran. Remould portfolio is Pneu Laurent, Reamic and Encore.

As I used to hear in old school rallying circles, Michelin tyres "are expensive and might wear more quickly than others, but they stick like shit to a blanket." This was from a life long Goodyear ambassador.

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
Gordon said:
As I used to hear in old school rallying circles, Michelin tyres "are expensive and might wear more quickly than others, but they stick like sheep to a blanket." This was from a life long Goodyear ambassador.

And in my experience Michelin are some of the harder wearing tyres on the market.

Mat.

Reaction score
Interesting Mat. I expect when Uniroyal was sold the owners split the brand rights by geography; Michelin purchasing N. America and Continental Europe.

It seems that it's slightly more complicated, the heritage of Uniroyal in Europe with Continental being longer than with Michelin in N. America.

"Back in 1895, the Belgian rubber goods manufacturer Englebert started producing tyres for Continental AG and other companies. After merging with US Rubber (Uniroyal) in 1958, the company changed its name to Uniroyal Englebert. Uniroyal, the inventor of the rain tyre, has been a European brand within the portfolio of Continental AG in Hanover, Germany, since 1979."

In 1990 Michelin purchased a controlling stake in what used to be US Rubber, and was at the time Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Company. Michelin completed its buyout of from Clayton & Dubilier (now Clayton, Dubilier & Rice) the private equity/leveraged buyout firm for $1.5bn.

Uniroyal Englebert must have been sold to Continental before Michelin came on to the scene. Likely around 1979. Perhaps US Rubber wanted to divest their European interests and focus on the US alone. Hence the sale to Continental.

So it's clear that the Uniroyal tyres we'll use in Europe will be manufactured by Continental.

Please bear in mind the quote about Michelin tyres wear rates releates to competition tyres, not road. It was also 1984 that the person quoted retired from competitive motorsport. Tyres will have changed a lot since then.

Reaction score
Quick update on the ps3s...

Wet performace is pretty special. You can push them harder than pe2s and when they do break it's all controllable and mucho fun. :D

Reaction score
Sounds good - keep the updates coming as time goes on. Should be interesting to see how they handle snow.. Not that any summer tyres are likely to be especially good.. :lol:

Reaction score
After being hidden away through the harsh winter months i am now starting to prepare no259 for life back on the roads. Among a number of parts on the shopping list is 4 new tyres. Was planning on the ps3's as they seem the obvious option and have great reviews. Just wondering if their was anything else on the market to consider, the car is only on the roads in the summer so not massively fussed about 'wet grip' As for price, could do with something cheaper than the ps3's.. or is it just worth spending a bit more and go the michelins? Any advice would be great, Cheers Ed.

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Sounds good - keep the updates coming as time goes on. Should be interesting to see how they handle snow.. Not that any summer tyres are likely to be especially good.. :lol:
I got stuck in illkey in snow at end of 2010 at top of a big hill at cow and calf rocks, was terrified driving down it, dont think i can say the tyres were any better than any others in snow, seemed about same as any can be in such conditions haha

Reaction score
Costco are doing 20% off michelin tyres at the moment. Isn't the PS more for rear drive performance cars and the PE for front drive cars?

Reaction score
RichyB said:
Costco are doing 20% off michelin tyres at the moment. Isn't the PS more for rear drive performance cars and the PE for front drive cars?

cant get exaltos anymore as far as i know, i put pilot sports on my fronts just after they came out and im due a new set anytime now :roll:

Reaction score
RichyB said:

Can anyone price up a pair of PS3's fitted inc VAT with Costco? Not sure if you can phone for prices as a non member.

Cheers

Reaction score
I've had 2 ps3's on the front for around 3 months now with pe2's on the rear that have done about 5000 miles. If I'm honest I'm not one of these people that think about things like tyres and how different tyres are better I just bought what I thought would be the best tyre.
However, since purchasing the ps3's I've started to think about it more!! When I bought the car it had pe2's on the front and Goodyear f1's on the back and whether it be dry or wet it handled like no other car id been in, it was immense. Just throw it and you no it's coming out alive! Yet with the set up I have on now I find that in the dry (obviously I'm talking pushing the car near it's limits) i find that it wants to oversteer?? The ps3 feel great in the dry and I don't find any roll in them at all. In the wet they do spin a lot more than the pe2's did and on round abouts again in the wet, I don't have the confidence I did when I had the f1 on the back.

When the time comes for me to buy new I will be trying the rainsports that the lads on CS rate very highly.

Hope this helps Elliott.

Reaction score
I bought a set of rainsports for my trophy and cannot fault them, only small niggle is the sidewalls are a 'tad' soft but this is negligable. Absolutely fine for road use and I got them for £64 each delivered!