Reaction score
Trophy No.
Re: Brembo Disc Breaks

Those are indeed the same fronts that i and a bunch of others have fitted though i think they may have been a little cheaper, i can't remember exactly.

Reaction score

silly queston I know but are these not a bit seriouls for fast road use.... as well as pagid pads being £100 ish.

thanks

jsthomson

Reaction score
Trophy No.

No i don't think so, yes you could spend less but i think those and the RS4-2 are a great combination. Which pagids are you talking about?

Reaction score

The Blue ones.. Im simply going by what ppl are say on here.

Braided lines is next question there are so many on the market not sure which ones.

Question does this increase or decrease insurance as I guess they will have to be notified re modifications.

Regards

Sthomson

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Those are the ones i was talking about above.

As to the braided lines, the reno ones are braided internally but if you've the cash go for it but i wouldn't say they are a must just for the road.

It will depend on your insurance company, it's always best to tell them even though things like brakes wear out and get replaced and i'm sure a lot of the time not with the original manufaturers items.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

It doesnt cost me anything to put modifications on with Greenlight, well it hasnt so far...

Reaction score

Is there a thread somewhere regarding 4-Pots? Rather than increase BHP/ft/ilbs, I'd rather increase the stopping power.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

I would personally.

What would be quicker round a track though, Trophy with £1K spent on brakes or Trophy with £1K spent on performance mods ?? close call i recon.

For B road driving a set of 4-pots would be well worth while, I dont think the increase in unsprung weight would be much ?

Reaction score

BenG said:
I would personally.

What would be quicker round a track though, Trophy with £1K spent on brakes or Trophy with £1K spent on performance mods ?? close call i recon.

For B road driving a set of 4-pots would be well worth while, I dont think the increase in unsprung weight would be much ?

That's basically my logic: I don't do track days, but I do go into Wales A LOT! Straight line speed is less important to me; I'm more interesting is dramatically reducing brake fade and greater stopping power.

Even with my Brembo HCs, Mintex 1144s, .5 fluid and braided hoses I still find they overheat and fade a little too quickly. But they are much better than standard though.

Reaction score

Brembo Max and Pagid Blues on the way for me :D , had brembo HC and ds2500, were great, showed signs of fade on track though but more than good enough for the road.

Reaction score

Have you ordered them and if you have where did you get them from.

Regards,

jsthomson

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Even with my Brembo HCs, Mintex 1144s, .5 fluid and braided hoses I still find they overheat and fade a little too quickly. But they are much better than standard though.

I have Mintex 1155's, again, alot better than standard but fade a little if used excessivley, I havent got round to fitting Braided lines yet and my brakes are feeling a bit spongy so need bleeding.

Which 4-pots would you go for?

Reaction score

Well I have spoken to GDI and they are looking into a 4-pot kit for the both the Elise/Exige and Clio 182. I can't remember the brand (not AP), but they said it would be somewhere in the region of £700.

Reaction score

Its probably Willwood?

Don't bother with 4-pots. A waste of money on a clio. Just go for Brembo Max discs, Pagid blue or yellow pads and some braided lines with decent brake fluid and you will never fade them and the stopping power is absolutely fantastic, and for £300 maximum, you are laughing.

Brakes or performance? I did both, and semi-sicks. Do it all :lol:

On a serious note though, in terms of having fun on track, brakes are the most important as the standard setup will fade and thats very annoying on a trackday.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.

my 2 pennies worth.

I've tried so many combinations my personal opinion is with the standard callipers the best combination for road use is:

Front
Pagid rs 4-2's (blue) pads, brembo HC disks, braided lines (goodridge or mocal) with castrol responce dot 4 fluid.

Rear
Ferodo DS2500 pads
OEM disks

If you plan on taking it on track then brembo max disks on the front would be my choice but iirc you can save £10 or so by going for the HC's - which should cover half the cost of the new lines.

Now regarding 4 pots, personally if i had an open cheque i'd be ignoring all the advice above and fit AP racing 4 pots - but you'd need to remove the fog lights and fit some air ducts as they generate a lot of heat - the wheels aren't the greatest at dissipating the heat.

Stay clear of any other 4 pots as you'll just end up spending twice as much money on something that's only marginally better than the above combination.

Also, whether 4 pots are worth it - as i say if you have the money, yes they are 1. the stopping performance is immense on cars around the 1000kg weight AND 2. some superbikes now run 4 pots - this isn't for show!

The 197 is what 200kg heavier? ask anyone who's taken one on track what they think of the Trophy's brakes in comparison to the 197's.... 'nuff said.

But as I say instead of spending £300 on brakes the AP kit is circa £1000+ so it's like saying do you stick with a Casio watch, spend more and get some thing decent like a Tag? or spend stupid money on something Greenwich would rely on like a Rolex? Personally the Tag does me fine....

Reaction score

Maybe I was being a tad hypocritical with my comments:

100_0825.jpg

Yes, I do run 4 Pot AP's on my 475ish kg Westfield :oops: :lol:

I never ran 4-pots on the clio and have never been in a clio with them so I don't know 100% what I am talking about.

However, given my experience on the clio, I never touched the rears and ran Brembo Max discs with both Pagid Yellow and Pagid Blue pads, both were great from cold, great on the road, great on the track, the yellow's a tad better, but the brakes were phenominal for the money and I would always recommend them to someone over 4-pots just based on the cost and just how good the setup is. I very much doubt someone with a 4-pot kit would brake any later, unless its a top driver. I could be wrong though.

Agreed with Cue though about AP. I didn't realise AP Racing made a kit for the clio, I have only seen Willwood and another which don't really strike me as amazing, both product names with mixed reviews. But there is no arguing against AP, if it was someone else paying I would ask for them, otherwise I would take the above setup.

Thats imbalanced my argument a tad, but I would say for most people don't worry about 4-pots!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Well I have spoken to GDI and they are looking into a 4-pot kit for the both the Elise/Exige and Clio 182. I can't remember the brand (not AP), but they said it would be somewhere in the region of £700.

Im sure I read somewhere they are Milwood, the midilite ones.

Reaction score

I am interested in fitting the brakes (pads, discs, hoses) that Cue mentioned, can you recommend where i can source the parts? Thanks. Q

Reaction score

Quentin,

http://www.k-tecracing.com

I believe they sell the Pagid Blue's that cue is talking about, definately sell the brembo's and sell there own version of braided hoses.

Or have a look here http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/ These definately sell the blue pagids and discs, and moquip hoses.

You may have to go the ebay route to buy Goodridge, i saw them on there new for £50 plus postage.

I just ordered my setup from k-tec, went the most common route: ferodo ds2500 pads all round, brembo max discs at front, genuine reno at rear, already have goodridge hoses fitted plus bought an ITG panel filter - £520ish