Reaction score
He says:-

"They also they have been on this Forum found out my forum name".

How did they do that then?

We all have our forum names in the memberlist for anyone to see, but that does not mean that we know anyones real name and personal details.

I think that this guy is being a bit economical with the truth.

Reaction score
Just FYI - Highway Insurance are utilised by Green Light.

However it may be hard to prove that the posts were made by the same guy who had the insurance policy. For example, what if someone else had access to his computer. Or if someone had access to his forum name and account?

Beyond a reasonable doubt is the measure in a civil case so Green Light need quite a bit of evidence to drive credibility from their assumptions.

O.

Attachments

• user325_pic3212_1229869605_thumb.jpg
    user325_pic3212_1229869605_thumb.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 11

Day

Reaction score
Read your poilcy documents.

Any other insurance company is likely to be just as anal.

Reaction score
Just read the thread. That guy has to be careful what he says. They could pay out and then decide to sue for slander if it has caused them a loss of income as a direct results of his comments (assuming some of the statements are not true) on a public forum.

Best to keep quiet until it is all sorted and keep it objective if you are going to post.

Oh well....

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
However it may be hard to prove that the posts were made by the same guy who had the insurance policy.

Hard to prove doesn't even begin to describe it.

How would an insurance company even make a connection between a customer called John Smith and a forum username like "MonkeyFace", for example.

I still think that this guy isn't giving us the full story.

Reaction score
MickD said:
oliie said:
However it may be hard to prove that the posts were made by the same guy who had the insurance policy.

How would an insurance company even make a connection between a customer called John Smith and a forum username like "MonkeyFace", for example.

I still think that this guy isn't giving us the full story.

hmmmm. some of us had better change our usernames from being quite so obvious lol

Reaction score
MickD said:
oliie said:

You can draw simple conclusions quite easily. For instance I have often posted photos of my car with the registration plate as well as openly state what modifications I am planning/have done (sometimes with photos).

However there are so many other variables (e.g. someone else using computer, hacking into your account etc.) that you'd have to involve the police to gain any meaningful data to draw parallels (e.g. tracing IP to a home address via ISP and forum host etc.).

Highway Insurance is one of the UK's largest motor insurer so I don't doubt that they have the time or money to investigate the options!

Tough situation to be in.

In all fairness if you buy a second hand car it is also very hard for you to know if the car has had nitrous installed in the past; with scarce mechanical knowledge you rely on the previous owner's word of mouth. This is a whole different bag of nuts: as a reasonable person taking reasonable steps to ensure the car's history is recorded accurately I would have thought you'd be quite safe.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out...

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
However there are so many other variables (e.g. someone else using computer, hacking into your account etc.) that you'd have to involve the police to gain any meaningful data to draw parallels (e.g. tracing IP to a home address via ISP and forum host etc.).

I agree, Ollie.

I have a friend who is a forensic computer analyst with the police and he has said in the past that even doing all that sort of stuff, you can never prove who it was who was sat at the keyboard at the time (unless there is visual evidence such as security camera footage)

Which is why I believe that there are other factors involved.

I just don't believe that insurance companies are going to waste their precious profits employing people to pore over websites and forums to find some very dubious glimmer of "evidence".

They know full well that it would get destroyed in a courtroom by any half decent solicitor.

I still think that there are other reasons why this guys claim has been turned down that he isn't telling us.

Reaction score
Day said:
stevegunnis said:
They'll never get me...
Best remove your loacation from the googlemap then Steve ;)

I was being facetious, being that my username is my name. I don't have to worry about the Police or speed cameras anyway, I've got diplomatic immunity and my number plates are registered to a false name and address in outer mongolia.

G

lol doesnt seem 100% real
but still, you pay insurance for a reason, and at the prices you pay you dont expect them to turn round and say 'no we cant do/fix that'
Stupid :roll: