Wheel melt

nbc

Reaction score
Just wonderd what the main cause of the steering wheel melt problem is?
I presume it's the sun's rays beating down on it, making it hot and causing the material to deform or is it the UV's prematurely ageing the leather?

Just wondering whether to park it with the windcsreen facng away from the sun where I can or do you think the winter temps/UV's will not be too harmful, it's just the summer conditions that are to blame?

Cheers

Reaction score
Just wonderd what the main cause of the steering wheel melt problem is?
I presume it's the sun's rays beating down on it, making it hot and causing the material to deform or is it the UV's prematurely ageing the leather?

Just wondering whether to park it with the windcsreen facng away from the sun where I can or do you think the winter temps/UV's will not be too harmful, it's just the summer conditions that are to blame?

Cheers

Its just the cheap crappy plastic material renault use, its not actually leather! Alot of people tend to replace or go for an actual leather retrim on their wheels as its the only real cure!

Reaction score
probably got something to do with hand sweat too, my original one melted in the place where it was held the most at 2o'clock (resting your right elbow on the door) and maybe a bit more at 11 o'clock - the bottom of the wheel is fine. i dare say that leaving a white towel over the wheel on hot sunny days wont do any harm - UV must be part of it.

Reaction score
I believe a lot of it is from the petrol on your hand after using the pumps. As the steering wheel is dyed/fake leather/plastic the petrol just eats in to eat. My theory anyway.