Reaction score
Here's another quick question!!! ;)

My Trophy is Superguarded from the dealers, but I want to clean it and Zymol it today! Should the Zymol products strip back the Superguard, or do I need an additional cleaner/solvent to get rid of it?

Reaction score
so is mine and i clean it with car shampoo and it seems fine. Not waxed it yet, but i dont think it will take it off. Well i hope not lol

Reaction score
drexel said:
so is mine and i clean it with car shampoo and it seems fine. Not waxed it yet, but i dont think it will take it off. Well i hope not lol

The Zymol process appears to have gotten rid of the Superguard, No 99 is now clean and shiny again!!! :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
most dealers say that cars are supergarded when in fact it's an immitation, a much cheaper product. You can wax on top of it, if it was actually coated in a polymer based coating, such as superwagaurd it wouldn't stick properly.

Supergaurd, permagaurd (a better product) etc fills in the pours in the paintwork - stopping colour loss through oxidisation and seals the paint for a protective finish, where as was and polish sit on the surface and leave a good shine for a period of time.

Because there is no pours in the paint work the wax shouldn't stick to it as well, but going back to my earlier point it probably isn't superwax anyway. th lesser product costs a dealer £50 as apposed to £300 - with the same results in terms of finish but it lasts weeks in stead of months. you can see why they pull the wool over most people's eyes.

Reaction score
Cue said:
most dealers say that cars are supergarded when in fact it's an immitation, a much cheaper product. You can wax on top of it, if it was actually coated in a polymer based coating, such as superwagaurd it wouldn't stick properly.

Supergaurd, permagaurd (a better product) etc fills in the pours in the paintwork - stopping colour loss through oxidisation and seals the paint for a protective finish, where as was and polish sit on the surface and leave a good shine for a period of time.

Because there is no pours in the paint work the wax shouldn't stick to it as well, but going back to my earlier point it probably isn't superwax anyway. th lesser product costs a dealer £50 as apposed to £300 - with the same results in terms of finish but it lasts weeks in stead of months. you can see why they pull the wool over most people's eyes.

Mine came with proper Superguard 'Customer Care' kit but I think I've gotten through it!

Reaction score
drexel said:
does this mean that most waxes will remove the superguard?

Zymol make a range of cleaning and waxing products and it's their cleaners that cut through the Superguard. All of their products are made from 100% natural ingredients. Their shampoo (Clear) is made with lemons, the 2nd stage 'deep cleaner' smells like cocoa and the wax is applied with your bare hands!!

The products do leave the car incredibly clean although insect remains take a lot of work to remove!

Reaction score
Get it Permagarded, you can leave the insects on for a week and they just wipe off with a sponge and water! You only have to look at the way water beads on it to understand why, no amount of waxing can come close.

If you're thinking of going to the London motor show, they taxi you to the show, pay for your tickets and pick you up after for no extra cost! You have to quote something from EVO magazine though, so have a look.

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
Get it Permagarded, you can leave the insects on for a week and they just wipe off with a sponge and water! You only have to look at the way water beads on it to understand why, no amount of waxing can come close.

If you're thinking of going to the London motor show, they taxi you to the show, pay for your tickets and pick you up after for no extra cost! You have to quote something from EVO magazine though, so have a look.

But who gets the paintwork perfect before it's treated?

To make Permaguard worth while you need your paintwork to be 110% perfect and then seal it!

Carnuba wax sets as hard as concrete but you still have to work to clean the bugs of it!

Reaction score
But who gets the paintwork perfect before it's treated?

To make Permaguard worth while you need your paintwork to be 110% perfect and then seal it!

Carnuba wax sets as hard as concrete but you still have to work to clean the bugs of it![/quote]

It's a good point, luckily mine was done when the car was new, but I believe the Permagard people get the paint as clean as possible with special cleaners and then the polymer does all the filling of micro-scratches etc. There are a couple of guys on here who had it done after running the car for several months and the results are the same, so they must do a good job of cleaning it first.

The trouble with wax is it heats up in the sun, dust sticks to it, then it hardens again at night, so it eventually dulls and then scatches the paintwork when you have to clean it off.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's a good point, luckily mine was done when the car was new, but I believe the Permagard people get the paint as clean as possible with special cleaners and then the polymer does all the filling of micro-scratches etc. There are a couple of guys on here who had it done after running the car for several months and the results are the same, so they must do a good job of cleaning it first.

The trouble with wax is it heats up in the sun, dust sticks to it, then it hardens again at night, so it eventually dulls and then scatches the paintwork when you have to clean it off.[/quote]

I had mine done after 6 months of ownership and 5500 miles. It brought it back to new condition, no microscratches or anything - sparkling glass finish. I wouldn't have believed it if i'd not seen the before and after of my own car.

Reaction score
Cue said:
I had mine done after 6 months of ownership and 5500 miles. It brought it back to new condition, no microscratches or anything - sparkling glass finish. I wouldn't have believed it if i'd not seen the before and after of my own car.

Same situation with me. Essentially they got it as clean as possible and stripped all the wax etc. the paint had on it before applying the Permagard polymer. A few thousand miles later and I am still wiping insects off the paint with water and a sponge...

I may go for a re-coat soon though :)

O.