Reaction score
Received today, did a quick mock-up and started the car with it just to make sure it works. Need to fabricate a battery tray and sort out some new mounting points, But put back to standard for the moment until I have a bit of time - hopefully this weekend. Oh and when I ordered it, I also ordered some screw in post terminals (£10), so it could be used with the standard terminal clamps on the car:
DSC00147.jpg

DSC00146.gif

Reaction score
I did take a side by side with the standard battery, but I can't seem to find it now on my phone! I'd say its around 1/4 the size though. (its an odyssey PC680)
I've got a 'special' air filter sitting in my garage ready to go in, so I took the standard airbox out to do a full mock-up, with new airbox and battery, just to make sure on positions, that pic above is where it will eventually fit. As for the fuse box cover, my clip has busted, and I kept knocking it when i was messing around so I just took it out for a few mins. The existing battery terminals will reach if the battery is stood up, but there is not really any existing points to mount a standard aftermarket battery tray so it will require a bit of re-jigging.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tidy piece of kit that mate. I like it...alot !

Reaction score
Phase 1 complete:
DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152.jpg
I made the custom battery tray to take advantage of 2 existing mounting points, so no modifications to the car were required at all. its foam lined to absorb shocks and made of aluminium, so nice and light.
As for weight differance I'm not really sure, I've heard the standard battery weighs aroung 15Kg and this new one weighs 6.1Kg, so its a good chunk. Took another pic of size comparison below:
DSC00149.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That looks pretty good apart from the oversize red box on the top :roll: , presumably you fashioned the tray yourself? Could you do/get more for ppl?

Reaction score
'fashioned' is the word! but it is a bit of a prototype.
After having a bit of a think, I reckon I could come up with some half decent trays, but there would have to be a compromise!
I'm thinking along the lines of using 1.6mm steel sheet, I could weld the seems making it a more durable / stronger tray and I think it would look better than rivets / bolts. The extra weight of the steel could be offset by drilling a series of holes (say 3cm diameter) around the tray.
Only drawback would be that it would need painting, I could leave this down to the buyer or do it myself. Also you would need some foam for a liner, and 1 bolt would need replacing on the car for a slightly longer version, together with 2 washers. Oh and postage costs would be about a fiver.
Just off the top of my head an unpainted tray would be about £15 posted, and painted (primered x 2, top coated x 2) lets say £20. I'll make sure the dimensions of the tray are suitable for the redtop 25 aswell.
I'd need at least couple of people to be interested, because I'll need to buy some new tools / sheet steel to get started.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mmmm, am very interested in that though i would n't mind hearing how it performs in the cold weather we've got coming next week :(

Reaction score
The longevity of the battery will be less than the original battery, cold cranking could infact be better so you shouldn't have no issues there, but the ah of the battery is only a 1/3rd of the standard battery. so unless your engines running don't even have the stereo on, also when you get stuck in bad traffic, you'll be drawing more out of the battery than the alternator is putting in, especially if you've got the heated rear screen on, lights, stereo, air con etc etc.

While they offer a good weight saving, there probably only real worth is just for trackdays, day to day driving could be problematic.

The other thing to consider is charging the battery, while you might get away with a standard battery charger, it's recommended that use a dms or equivelant.

I've used the red top in many track cars, but never in a road car for the reasons stated above, now i know you've just bought an odessey and probably saved about £10-£20 over a red top and there's also the rumour they are built at the same factory, but i disagree. I've always run the red top while a few friends have run the odessey, i've never had to charge my battery ( and that involved the car standing for 3 winter months in between starts) whereas all the people i know with an odessey have at some point had to charge there battery and one had to replace as even a deep charge cycle couldn't rescue his battery, for this reason i'd only use a red top. This could be a one off occasion but for the sake of a tenner or so.............

Keep us informed how you get on, also of you don't mind being a guinea pig, how about finding a bit of town traffic and sticking all the electrics on and see how long it lasts :wink:

Chris

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^^ that's some of my questions answered, though am still concerned about day to day running.

Reaction score
Chirs's point about capacity is exaclty the one I made. Ideal for track use, but suspect for day to day pottering with HRW etc all on when in town.

Reaction score
I'll keep everyone posted on my findings, things to consider in my case though are my daily drive is a 60 mile round trip, with hardly any stops and certainly no traffic, mostly spent at 50Mph. The car is garaged overnight, although the garage is sometimes colder than outside! I've never had the rear window demister on in two years of ownership and the car never ever gets misted up, so I only use the aircon a few times a year. Perfect conditions for the new battery.
Also worth noting that with my install, I could easily swap back to the standard battery in about 4 minutes I think. Therefore it could be a summer only thing if needed.