Newbie on look out for 182 Trophy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m a long-time petrolhead, early-40s now so have had a few motors in my time and currently have a BMW 328i and a Lotus Exige S2 in the stable.

I do a small amount of track work, between 3-6 days per year in the Exige and as much karting as I can fit in around family time.

I’m looking for (hopefully) a long-termer to join the stable and although I generally prefer RWD cars, I’m liking what I hear with the 182 Trophy cars.

I’ve seen this car:

which is slightly pricy for me but wondering if it would be a better long-term car?
Don’t know the garage either

And on the other spectrum, you have this car here:

You guys know the cars so what’s the consensus?

I generally prefer to buy privately where I can and cut out the middle man where possible.

Hoping to join the forum fold soon....

Jim

Reaction score
As regards to the first car you posted up about - Drop @Dannyhill7 a private message on here - he is the trader who is selling it. That car is no 310 and just been sold privately and then being sold again by him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Mossy - thanks for your reply.

Has Danny bought the car from Vogue? That’s how it reads to me.... also seems to have no service history.Price seems steep if it has no history, don’t you agree?

Reaction score
One thing I haven’t been able to find out through my research, how well do these cars cope with high mileage?

I look after my cars but they are certainly driven! I put over 20k on the Beemer and 5k in the Exige - which is tough going at times!

Reaction score
Danny is the trader - hence him joining up on here looking for its service history.

If it had the history it would be okay price but without the history then you maybe right.

Talk to Danny he seemed a decent chap and may work with you on a better price.

Reaction score
One thing I haven’t been able to find out through my research, how well do these cars cope with high mileage?

I look after my cars but they are certainly driven! I put over 20k on the Beemer and 5k in the Exige - which is tough going at times!

If you’re going to “drive it” and put miles on it have you thought about a normal 182? They last forever and just keep going and at a fraction of the price.

Reaction score
From what I’ve read and seen, I think the Trophy will be more suited to my driving style and I’m happy to pay overs on a standard 182 to get the Trophy as driving is a big part of my life - guess the same for a lot of us on here.

what do you reckon to the other ad I posted Mossy?

Reaction score
From what I’ve read and seen, I think the Trophy will be more suited to my driving style and I’m happy to pay overs on a standard 182 to get the Trophy as driving is a big part of my life - guess the same for a lot of us on here.

what do you reckon to the other ad I posted Mossy?

Last one you posted about us number 243 and paintwork with rust not the best:
87E46F69-718C-4962-BC06-724109B4A3D2.png

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
RE the mileage question.

As long as you keep to the advised maintenance schedules as a minimum and replace wear and tear parts when required, you'lll easily see north of 150k, think the highest mileage one is touching 200k now. We do have a some threads, which could be worth a read- trophy secrets, ownership issues, maintenance heads up etc.

We're also a helpful bunch with some proper enthusiasts included. many owners are second and third car owners, with the trophy being the special toy. Even have Harry Metcalfe and Jethro Bovingdon from Evo magazine fame amongst our contributors.

Reaction score
Thanks Cue.

Very active on the Lotus forums so looking to contribute here when I finally find the right car. Saw Harry enthusing about his car in an old video the other day, can’t wait to try one out!

Oh, who runs the Facebook group? I’m waiting to be admitted...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not sure on that - I know they're a member on here, it may be Sharky but not sure who the admin is of it. it is linked though...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The Facebook page seems a bit rudderless at the moment as someone else said they have been waiting to be approved. Only the one admin/mod in Audrey Larrive so it‘s maybe that she doesn’t check in that often anymore, though she used to be very active here and on other sites.