Reaction score
So having been on holiday driving hire cars for a couple of weeks, I came back and thoroughly enjoyed the chance to 'enjoy driving' again in my trophy - it was even more fun than I remembered (and interestingly having been away from it a bit in Punto's etc, the drining position actually seemed quite low!). Anyway after a a run back to hertfordshire to see the folks, all was well until I did some sturdy braking, it seemed to take an age and felt nervous on the limit and it really made me think that being so light must be able to stop better than that!! It might have just been the surface, but it wasn't even after any hard braking (ie them being hot) as I hadn't needed to stop for a little while.

So onto the point Glen.. I was hoping there might be someone in the London / Near to London Area with uprated brakes which I could compare mine to. I plan to keep my Trophy for the long-run, so don't mind spending a bit of cash on it, but want to get the decision right. I know there have been loads of topics and I hae read a bit of them which boils me towards the Pagid's or Ferodo's with carbon Drilled discs probably BRembo's, but would like to know how much difference they really make.. and that I cannot do by reading.

Anyone in the London area got some special brakes then? I live near Greenwich side, but... have car... can travel. Incidentally mine has been permaguarded and I am able to click-up and down if you know what I mean so if anyone wants to know what it is like with that sorted then could help us both.

Cheers
Glen

Reaction score
Hello mate
I'm in Wembley and am planning on going up to Yozza tomorrow, 25 June. I'm looking at getting some Brembo carbons and some Pagid RS-2's, not sure thats the right number but that's what I'll be asking for!!!!.
Like you I've not been overly impressed by the brakes, had a few moments where the old M3 would have stopped dead after a hard days braking and the Trophy's just gave me a moment where I thought, "I'm dead". LOL.
I'll be getting the hoses replaced at the same time so let me bed them in and I'll give you a shout and we can meet up. I'm planning on a trip to Millau to see the bridge and then the Alps to see some friends before two days at the Ring, which is probably the main reason I'm getting the brake upgrade, so bare with me.
PM me and I'll give you my mobile number.
Patrick
:D

Reaction score
cliosport brakes are very very good as standard...sounds like something may not be quite right with yours.

what most people don't realise about uprating brakes is that the stopping power is only marginally better in most cases, the reason people upgrade their brakes is because you can stop that maginally better than standard, but you can keep stopping over and over fade free.

Brake upgrades just allow consistently strong and fade free braking over 20 or more laps rather than 2 or 3 and then fade with standard brakes on track.

im in croydon and have pagid pads and brembo max disks btw.

Reaction score
Matt, thanks, that's helpful to know and exactly the reason as to why I wanted to try them out before buying. I suppose given that all cars brakes have ability to kick-in the ABS, it followslogic that they all must be able to stop as quick as one-another (within reason), the fade / consistency being the key difference.

Like Patrick it seems (and how many other trophy owners!), I had an M3 before the trophy, and the stopping power in that is really something. While I appreciate it'll nver be that good, I did think it would be a bit better (it was wet yesterday though which wouldn't have helped).

Patrick I'll PM you about that - it sounds good and would be interested in how it turns out (and if Yoza are the place to go for it). Matt, you sound like you know your stuff and have had them for a while, so I might give you a shout too if that's ok?

Cheers,
Glen

Reaction score
AWESOM-O 4000 said:
Matt, thanks, that's helpful to know and exactly the reason as to why I wanted to try them out before buying. I suppose given that all cars brakes have ability to kick-in the ABS, it followslogic that they all must be able to stop as quick as one-another (within reason), the fade / consistency being the key difference.

Like Patrick it seems (and how many other trophy owners!), I had an M3 before the trophy, and the stopping power in that is really something. While I appreciate it'll nver be that good, I did think it would be a bit better (it was wet yesterday though which wouldn't have helped).

Patrick I'll PM you about that - it sounds good and would be interested in how it turns out (and if Yoza are the place to go for it). Matt, you sound like you know your stuff and have had them for a while, so I might give you a shout too if that's ok?

Cheers,
Glen

not a problem, gimme a shout if you want a demo etc.

don't get me wrong, my brakes are very noticeably better than standard, i was just making the point that when buying an aftermarket brake kit, most people don't know that the main difference is the increase in the amount of time before they fade rather than just how fast they stop.

the pagids almost have your eyes out, they would feel even better had my brother not got an evo 9 with a full ap racing brake kit....378mm disks with 6 pot calipers...its otherworldly dammit :lol:

Reaction score
My Trophy brakes seemed to really struggle in the wet. More so than other cars. Not sure why.

Definately worth changing them.