Hunting/Searching at Idle

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As per the title #162 is hunting when idling when cold and up to temp.

I don't recall being told by Steve (the previous owner) that it had any modifications (high-lift cams) etc. but I don't think it's down on power. Regardless, my first thought is gummed up injectors as she hasn't covered many miles in recent years; anyhow I've ordered a to do some testing and I'm sure she'll be running perfectly soon.

Before I get stuck in, does anyone have any advice or experience of this, please?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could be a few things, what do you mean by hunting though? if reving slightly higher - this is normal and part of the 182's engine warm up sequence for the first minute or so after being ignited.

If you're referring to fluctuating revs between say 600 and 2k, it could be anything from the inlet to injectors. If the actuator value hasn't been cleaned recently - i'd start with that as its an easy fix if its this. A couple of bolts (fixes on the side of the inlet manifold), spray some WD40, unclog, clean the gunk etc, then re-attach.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for this @Cue

Definitely fluctuating rather than the warm-up sequence. I'll start with the actuator valve as suggested :)

Reaction score
Thanks for this @Cue

Definitely fluctuating rather than the warm-up sequence. I'll start with the actuator valve as suggested :)

Hey @will2705 mine developed this issue today: warm engine, revs fluctuating pretty wildly between 900 & 2000 rpm.
Did the actuator valve clean sort the problem?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey @HowieUK ,

Mine wasn't doing it nearly that much, it just sounded a little like it had high-lift cams on it. After doing some research (a few kind owners agreed to send me videos of what their T's); I realised mine was in was normal - as suggested above. So I never got round to cleaning to the actuator valve. This is something I'll do regardless once the underside work has finished.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Reaction score
Ok, cheers for letting me know anyway. I’ll clean the air filter and throttle (carefully!) then head up to Mark Fish if that doesn’t remedy it.
Thanks