Reaction score
Decided to change the gearbox oil in #302 as there is no evidence in the service history of it ever being done. Car has covered 63k.
I went to the local Renault garage and they wanted £52+VAT for 3L of Elf 75-80 (after checking i found that you can get it for about £35 off ebay). Then checked in the local motor factors and they had a fully synthetic 75-80 for £6 L and it meets Renault requirements.
IMAG1558_zps09413f7c.jpg

Changing it was as easy as an oil change, the only difference being that you need a length of pipe and a funnel when refilling it to make life easier. There was no need to warm the gearbox oil before draining as it ran out just fine from stone cold.

Here is the old oil (Filthy!!!)
IMAG1556_zpsb6bc18f9.jpg
And the new oil going in (now thats a better colour)
IMAG1554_zps2189923a.jpg

It was definitely worth doing and didn't take that long. 3L was plenty even though the capacity is 3.1L. Just as i was putting the last of the 3rd bottle in, it started coming back out of the filler hole.

**For reference the pipe i used was 1m long and it's o.d. is 13mm. It's about the largest pipe that will fit into the filler hole.

Reaction score
I went for Fuchs Sintofluid. Millers is always a good choice & you got it for a good price!

Reaction score
I was actually surprised how cheap the Millers was!
And just to mention that I am changing the coolant too. Renault is actually The CHEAPEST for coolant!!! I was surprised by this. It was £12 Inc VAT for 5L of type D coolant from the Renault garage. The motor factors were a few quid more expensive. Ideally I would have liked red coolant to match the car..lol.. But couldn't argue with £12 for the proper stuff!

Reaction score
Just bought same miller 75W80 for 18.98 + 5 for delivery (5Litres) on ebay. Bargain.

Reaction score
Could anyone point out what washer will be need to replace gearbox sump washer and whether there is a guide to doing the job ? Does the air filter box need to removed ? Thanks (BTW: the ebay seller is Alex Carr Engineers Ltd - Yorkshire and stock is limited)

Reaction score
:D Funny post mate! Some Superblue too perhaps sir?

I was actually trying to get some Superblue but none of the local factors had it. They had Castrol srf but it's about £40 L. Maybe worth it in a track car but too much for my needs. Ended up going for Halfords dot 5.1.

Reaction score
Could anyone point out what washer will be need to replace gearbox sump washer and whether there is a guide to doing the job ? Does the air filter box need to removed ? Thanks (BTW: the ebay seller is Alex Carr Engineers Ltd - Yorkshire and stock is limited)

Here's a guide I just found.
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25471&page=3#/forumsite/20488/topics/25471?page=1
I didn't bother replacing the sump plug washer but it's good practice to do so. The choice is yours.
You could probably manage without removing the mailbox but it will make life easier if you do.