Flashing Emissions light? possible solution.

Reaction score
i dunno about you guys, but sometimes my emissions light flashes at me when the cars sometimes cold or im stuck in traffic.
i changed the spark plugs the other day and this instantly cured the problem!
Renault say they will be fine for 72,000 miles but i think this could be a typing error, because mine were abit 'Ghana'..... they'd seen better days.
just an fyi really and there easy enough to replace if you have the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Your spark plugs look like they have seen better days, Just quick was there any water in the hole before you removed the plugs only to get corrosion like that usually you find a bit of water or damp. I have recently changed my plugs only due to coil pack breaking on number 3 cylinder and damaging the leads too, just to add the damage was on the ceramic coating around the plug connector its worth checking if you have a rough idle or slight misfire on standstill. When i removed plugs they looked like they had seen better days this was at 57k mind. I would recommend people change before the 72k mark i think renault put this on as platinum plugs are suppose to last longer.
The other tip is to put a bit of copper slip on the thread, this is to help on removal when changing plugs again in the future. If any of you have worked on older vehicles or ford 1.3 endura engines you will understand the reason behind this. The plugs use to corrode in the holes and on removal use to rip the plug away from the thread. If this was to happen only option was to try and remove old thread with extractors or worse case head was off and new insert put in iv been lucky and never had to put an insert in but it is known to happen.

Reaction score
liam1610 said:
Your spark plugs look like they have seen better days, Just quick was there any water in the hole before you removed the plugs only to get corrosion like that usually you find a bit of water or damp. I have recently changed my plugs only due to coil pack breaking on number 3 cylinder and damaging the leads too, just to add the damage was on the ceramic coating around the plug connector its worth checking if you have a rough idle or slight misfire on standstill. When i removed plugs they looked like they had seen better days this was at 57k mind. I would recommend people change before the 72k mark i think renault put this on as platinum plugs are suppose to last longer.
The other tip is to put a bit of copper slip on the thread, this is to help on removal when changing plugs again in the future. If any of you have worked on older vehicles or ford 1.3 endura engines you will understand the reason behind this. The plugs use to corrode in the holes and on removal use to rip the plug away from the thread. If this was to happen only option was to try and remove old thread with extractors or worse case head was off and new insert put in iv been lucky and never had to put an insert in but it is known to happen.
Eljeffo, comments please! :wink:

Reaction score
I imagine the light would be brought on by a misfire, (as the problem was evidently the plugs), out of interest did you notice a misfire? Useful heads up on this, thanks.

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
liam1610 said:
Eljeffo, comments please! :wink:

i changed my plugs recently at about 50k too and used copperslip so agree with the posters above they cost very little really and it is a simple job also if there is corrosion there can be a real risk of seized plugs meaning head off remedial work

cant find the caps button or punctuation keys on my pod how liberating ;-)