Reaction score
hi folks, bit of a strange one, started to get a little whistling sound which has now got even worse from the exhaust over the christmas hols. It was coming from the join between the cat and the middle section pipe. Took the cat off and it looks like the ovel part where it butts up to the middle section pipe has been bent, im assuming it should be the same shape all the way around. dont no how this has happend as it would need to be one hell of a bump to bend it and would of noticed if it was me. And now the clamp sits funny and wont clamp the two sections together as it should. need to try and get the cat back to its origanal shape but know how fragile they are. enybody had enything like this? Or how i can straighten it back out without damaging the cat. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Reaction score
Mine is doing this at the moment, originally i removed the clamp, straightened it and refitted it with some exhaust seal. This was fine for about 2 weeks then it slowly started coming back again, had a look and the exhaust seal had just fell off and the clamp was twisted again. Im not too sure if the cat was bent as i couldnt get fully under the car to inspect it. Im going to buy a new clamp next weekend, if that fails i will stick a decat on till i can afford a new cat.
It doesnt seem to be affecting the performance of the car, only difference i have noticed is the noise, when idling it has a burble sound and when foot down it is quite loud, which i suppose can be expected as air is escaping from the cat.
Once i fit the new clamp i will post back, hopefully that will be it.

Reaction score
You can buy a complete kit that holds the cat to the silencer comes with new seal all new nuts and bolts and springs! From a dealer they are around £30 ! From what sounds from both you guys this will sort out your problem!

Reaction score
Well ive discovered what the problem is with mine.
Drove to work this morning and the exaust was quite loud, (blowing from cat to exhaust joint).
When i can out of work and drove home it was even louder, as if it didnt have a exhaust on :shock: :? .
I decided to remove the clamp again and have a good look. Straight away i noticed a hair line crack around the lug on the cat, the bit the clamp sits over. Went around the other side of the car and got underneath and had a look, :shock: , massive crack in the same place, on further inspection found the crack runs about 3/4 of the way around the lug of the cat.
For now i filled the crack and clamp with exhaust seal, not sure how long the sealent will last or how long it will be untill the lug completely falls off?

Now my dilema, do i get a de-cat, sports cat or original cat?
De-cat wont pass mot but is cheap.
Sports cat ive heard is the same micron as the original cat but weight is less, price inbetween de-cat and original.
Or do i just go for the original?
Any comments welcome.

Reaction score
im going to go for a de-cat i think for the time being with christmas only just gone. then maybe get the sports cat? fancy a new exhaust just looking between the miltek and the rest on the market. anybody useing the miltek with de-cat?

Reaction score
Hopefully i will have enough money at the end of the month to get a full system + de-cat, hope so anyway!
Then im going to see if the original cat could be repaired?

Reaction score
De-cat will be cheapest option. Depends how well you know the MOT tester.

Reaction score
sagman said:
De-cat will be cheapest option. Depends how well you know the MOT tester.
I do know him but he is by the book, on my first MOT he did say that the emissions test was one of the best he had seen in years!
The exhaust seal hasnt lasted long at all, its not as loud as it was but think give it a week and it will be totally knackered!
De-cat here we come :) .