Reaction score
At the moment I'm running standard discs and pads with up-rated fluid and hoses.

I'm looking to upgrade the front pads for my trip to Abbeville in France with easytrack next month and have pretty much decided on the Ferodo DS2500.

Is it also worth changing the discs at the same time for the Brembo High Carbon 280mm replacements? Or stick with my STD discs as they have done less than 5K miles?

7MAT

Reaction score
I was impressed with the brakes on Sam's car, which has the Brembo discs. They also appear to be a similar price to the regular Renault ones! Would make sense to bed them into the new Brembo discs and achieve the whole effect. The existing pads and discs would have a value to you or the next owner if you passed them on.

Reaction score
allvehicles said:
I was impressed with the brakes on Sam's car, which has the Brembo discs. They also appear to be a similar price to the regular Renault ones! Would make sense to bed them into the new Brembo discs and achieve the whole effect. The existing pads and discs would have a value to you or the next owner if you passed them on.

Not that I need an excuse to spend more money, but you are making sense.

I've fitted pads before (but not to a clio) but have never fitted discs before. I presume its straight forward. Are there any special tools I need to complete the job on a clio?

Matt

Reaction score
I would personally buy the parts and have them fitted by a qualified technician or business. My motives are that you can never be too cautious where safety is concerned and heaven forbid one day somone should have cause to scrutinise the work and decide that (say) a caliper bolt wasn't torqued up properly. BTW, I am qualified but haven't fitted a set of pads in 19 years so have no idea what you're going to find holding the disc to the hub!

Reaction score
As far as I know the disc is retained using the usual method of countersunk screws (which inevitably seize and are a pain in the arse!) This will also help centre the disc on the hub

The disc will be clamped in place between the wheel and the hub - it is the wheel nuts that hold both the disc and wheel on so as long as these are torqued correctly the disc shouldn't be going anywhere!

It's definitely worth investing in a decent torque wrench for anyone doing even basic work on their car, it'll soon pay for itself if you are saved paying main stealer prices on things like fitting pads!

Reaction score
Ever since I went on a 'Product Liability' course ten years ago I have been very concerned about safety. Of course the disc is clamped in place etc, so all cut and dried really, it helps though to be a 'civilian' when you do your own work because you're not expected to be an expert. Funny, but this product liability debate reminds me of a friend who is a BMW technician. When you work on a car you are as liable as the dealer who sells the hours. It sank him to him when he had to go to the High Court to defend himself, the affadvit reading 'The Crown vs Mr AB & AnyDealer Ltd. My final point is that I know of some very reasonable garages, some of who post here and Cliosport who certainly don't rip off customers - and who, I am sure, know one end of a torque wrench from another!

Reaction score
For sure - the whole product liability issue is one of the reasons I haven't yet gone into business for myself (automotive design engineer) The thought of something I have designed breaking and causing an accident scares me s**tless, even though I am confident in my abilities that it won't happen.

Getting it back onto a vaguely brakey topic again - what are the Ferodos like from cold? Would you be planning to run them as your everyday road pad or just for trackdays?

Reaction score
Definitely felt a more secure pedal with aerospace hoses which I put down to the hoses not expanding under pressure? I should know this having done Bernoulis Law at college! (That must have something to do with it). Definitely one of the mods I would do - with a better quality brake fluid at the same time.

Reaction score
Matt, Your standard discs will be fine. I've just changed mine for Brembo one's after 13,000 miles, and numerous trackdays. New pads as well.

I can recommend the Mintex 1177 pads. I'd fit some braided hoses as well.
Give me a shout, and I'll show how good they are, over the weekend.

:)

Reaction score
We use performance friction on the racers

They work from cold and use std disks with braided hoses and srf fluid and I have had them in lots of road cars for 5 to 8K no probs

Reaction score
Mark, we sell the PF 97 pads, and they ARE the best pads you can get for the clios FULL STOP, they're leagues ahead of anything else (and we've tried EVERYTHING!)

we run them on our demo car

but people unfortuatley don't like the brake dust!

Day

Reaction score
They do ruin your wheels though Fred.

I've seen the evidence and the look of dispair at the sugestion of refurbing the two front turini's :shock:

Perhaps as a reseller you should bump the price up a little and include a free refurb after 6 months ;)

Reaction score
why our are wheels fine?? we've only had problems with people running OE wheels, most track boys use a different set of wheels that they don't care about (we run speedline 2118's)

if you're a trackday nutter, a bit of brake dust doesn't really worry you, we sell a fair few of them (return customers) with no complaints, only rave reviews about how awesome the pads are