hyb

Reaction score
The other day my petrol gauge was reading just under the 1 bar, no petrol stations for quite a while and couldn't be arsed to turn around and find a closer one. Got me thinking what was the best MPG anyone has had? Excluding motoways & dual carriageways. On some nice twisty roads I managed 42mpg over a 20 min trip

Reaction score
hyb said:
The other day my petrol gauge was reading just under the 1 bar, no petrol stations for quite a while and couldn't be arsed to turn around and find a closer one. Got me thinking what was the best MPG anyone has had? Excluding motoways & dual carriageways. On some nice twisty roads I managed 42mpg over a 20 min trip

How? I'm lucky to see 30, even cruising at 80 on the motorway!?!?!?!

Reaction score
41.8 - cruise control assisted 250 mile journey at a pretty steady 75-80mph. I did it more out of curiousity to see what's achievable by taking it easy but it was very boring!!!

My day-to-day journey is mainly 40-50 on a roads with a bit of dual carriageway action and i'm see about 34-36mpg.

hyb

Reaction score
chiefsilverback said:
hyb said:

How? I'm lucky to see 30, even cruising at 80 on the motorway!?!?!?!

Its tricky :D Just slightly resting foot to keep the speed steady, use hills to gain speed, never accelerate :) Try it, its tricky!

Reaction score
I'm getting 32.7. Got 34.8 in my 172 and could push it to 39 when be very careful, never seen anything close with the Trophy.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i think i've done a post on this already......

my best was 428 miles on a tank - just over 40 mpg. Its also the first time i've ever run out of petrol in any car, i was relying on the 'miles til next fill up' indicator and it ran completely dry with 40 still showing. Strangely i also managed to get over 10 gallons out of the tank - not sure on the actual size of tank but it seemed stange that it showed 10.7 gallons.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
easy trick is to look further down the road in front and start reading what other drivers are doing, never accelerate down hill, use the gears and coast up to lights. in flowing traffic leave longer gaps between you and the car in front so you're not on the brakes at any point and therefore don't need to accelerate after breaking.

the worst mpg i've had in still in the low 30's and i kane it everywhere.

Reaction score
T23PHY said:
41.8 - cruise control assisted 250 mile journey at a pretty steady 75-80mph. I did it more out of curiousity to see what's achievable by taking it easy but it was very boring!!!

how on earth did you do that?

my car gets about 30-31mpg on cruise control at 80, and about 35 at 70...

Reaction score
YOU GUYS ARE SILLY.......you dont buy cars like these to get good mpg....thats what scummy deisels are for.......girly mpg chasers are not welcome

Reaction score
dcw@pr said:
T23PHY said:

what fuel do you use? I've been using Optimax only since i've had the car.

the run I mention above was mainly motorway with about 15 miles on a single carriageway A road. In all honesty, wasnt expecting to get such high figures for fuel consumption!

Reaction score
T23PHY said:
dcw@pr said:
T23PHY said:

what fuel do you use? I've been using Optimax only since i've had the car.

the run I mention above was mainly motorway with about 15 miles on a single carriageway A road. In all honesty, wasnt expecting to get such high figures for fuel consumption!

optimax/tesco 99. i think the difference is really in the mpg calculator probably

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
big_peaches said:
i use optimax and get 22 -24.....you bunch of pooftas...

why get a clio at all, if its just out right pace you're after buy a caterham, fastest thing on the road.