Alternatives for the rear sachs

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
My rear sachs are reaching the point were there's more oil on the outside than the inside. It doesn't look like you can get them rebuilt so what is a good alternative.

I looked at koni adjustables but they marked as not for the cup models.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Standard 182 CUP dampers.

I know a large amount of trophy owners have or do run them and while speaking about suspension with someone who knows there stuff better than most, the rear do very little.
I also have my suspicion that Renaults V2 Sachs (The black ones) are just cup dampers with a Sachs sticker on them.

@markfishy used to do a Koni rear damper that was adjustable but unsure if he still does them.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I looked at koni adjustables but they marked as not for the cup models.

I have a set of the Mark Fish Koni adjustable (which he sold alongside his Trophy/182 springs) so I’m not sure where that information came from, perhaps they are different? I do have the boxes/model numbers for those.

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
The koni part number is 8010-1048SPORT

I've not see the renault v2 sachs yet but will try and hunt down a set

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Orignal Renault Sachs From Factory (Silver)
Image supplied by @hoolio

IMG_0424.jpeg

The new version of rear Sachs Dampers (Black)

Sachs Rear 006.jpg

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Looks like the koni's will work. I'll have a look at renault oem dampers as well

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have a set of MF Koni adjustables stored that I'd be willing to part with. However they're in need of a refurb, but no doubt cheaper than new at circa £300 each from Kam racing...unless I've got my wires crossed? When I refresh I'll likely go with std Cup dampers

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I believe that amount is for the pair but @Mike256 in reference to your comment above, Kam say this:

These are also fitted to the rear of the Renault Clio 182 Trophy models as the standard Sachs dampers are not able to be replaced or rebuilt. These Koni adjustable rear dampers work well for both road and trackday use.

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help.

From doing some price checking Kam racing sell oem cup dampers for £70 each and larkspeed sell koni's for £133 each.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m not sure they were ever put on a jig and actually tested side by side. I think it was just accepted that the rears could not be that much different Sachs to Cup. If I didn’t have original spares, the cup option wouldn’t be a difficult decision.

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the wife doesn't see this.

I ordered the cup dampers today and decided the car needed a few more bits with the money I saved compared to buying koni dampers.

So I bought new dust cover bump stops for the fronts, a spare set of springs and a full set of powerflex bushes.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
What are the options for the car springs?

Rare if trying to go OE springs.

Front Yellow genuine Trophy springs are NLA and have been for some time.
Eibach done a group buy for aftermarket exact replacements as they made the original ones.

As for rears they are like hens teeth, Standard CUP rear springs with white & Red dots

Images of all below -

Trophy OE Renault Front Spring
Trophy OE Spring 01.jpg

Eibach Replacment Springs -

Trophy Eibach Spring 05.JPG

Genuine Trophy Rear Cup Springs -

Rear Cup 01.JPG

The other springs that people ran for a long time and I have done for the last 14 years is Mark Fish Springs.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
What are the options for the car springs?
Just to add to @MarcB 's excellent answer re original springs.

There are also other aftermarket options, Eibach, Cooksport (though now also no longer available since they ceased trading) and Grams. These generally drop the car more than the original springs though.

I had also heard on the grapevine somewhere that Grams were working on a Trophy replica spring set, though not heard anything about that lately.