Accident advice

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bit of advice please if anyone has any experience. I got rear ended in the BMW 1 the other day. It actually doesn't look that bad, beaten up rear bumper and lip of the hatch is a little scratched and bent slightly, the Golf that hit me was ruined so suspected I might have got off too lightly and my first chance to have a good look bears that out. Crunched exhaust box behind the bumper which has pushed and bulged the battery compartment in the boot and also put an inch long crease in the bottom :)
So here is the question Does it matter which insurance company I use? Mine (Aviva for the BMW) or there's (AA) They have admitted and accepted full liability and were fairly forceful that I go with them. Any advantage either way guys?

BTW, BMW series 1 118D 2016 probably worth about £10k

Reaction score
Repairs should be going through his, and you would be better off dealing directly with his, but you still need to notify yours that you have been hit

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You don't have to notify your by law and I'd tread carefully if you do as they will put it against your driving record (even if they say they won't - it'll be listed there for record purposes and could affect future premiums).

Also, take ownership of the process of repair - I'd select your own body repairer as insurance apporved repairers are generally run to tight budgets and cut corners to try to earn what little they can.

Reaction score
You don't have to notify your by law and I'd tread carefully if you do as they will put it against your driving record (even if they say they won't - it'll be listed there for record purposes and could affect future premiums).

Also, take ownership of the process of repair - I'd select your own body repairer as insurance apporved repairers are generally run to tight budgets and cut corners to try to earn what little they can.

Might not be law, but try reading your insurance policy, they have the right to cancel if you do not notify

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Yep.
Don't tell insurance company if not going to make a claim.

I had a car roll back on the car park into my bumper (not my trophy) , I phoned insurance company as the car that hit me was a banger and didn't expect to get anything from owner.

I did settle with owner in the end.

Just renewed my insurance and forgot about that call, they had a record od it and put £160 on the price even though claim had been made.
Robbing b@#*+@ds

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well this has now gone in a slightly different direction, but all is good, a slightly offtrack thread is always interesting.
I'm not sure there is a right answer to who you use to handle the details (I was gently berated by the BMW guys for not using their service) as they all seem to use the same systems to communicate with each other.
It's now all sorted and I have car back after three weeks of using the supplied Mercedes C200 which despite being a really nice car that was deceptively rapid and handled surprising well I pretty much hated, just not my thing.
Also, just to add to the discussion above. I would always advise my insurer regarding an accident as the prospect of being hung out to dry at a later date is more frightening than the possibility of a few extra quid on the premium.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that hoolio. Hope your OK.

As for not telling your insurance company or not. It doesn't matter they are all linked so they will know.

Reaction score
Trophy No.

As for not telling your insurance company or not. It doesn't matter they are all linked so they will know.
Hey Andy, yeah fine. All pretty low speed , was coming off a roundabout when somebody decided to come around the outside of the traffic coming the other way waiting to get onto the roundabout, I hit the brakes the guy behind didn't.
Are you talking about the Audatex system?

Reaction score
Well that's alright then and easily done happened to me the other rear.
I'm not sure of the name of the system but know all data is linked. Don't forget very few underwriters.

Reaction score

It does matter, it is in your small print, it just means you will get a pissy phone call from them instead