Reaction score
Ok, so how many people here have had/driven both the trophy and 172's and 182's? to those of you that have I was just wondering how much better you would say the handaling is on the trophys then other clio sports.

Also how hard is the suspension as i have had a few ppl say that it is very stiff?

Any performance difference in them to the cups? Also how do they respond to mild modifications, e.g filters and exhausts?

Any common problems/faults?

Reason is i would love to get rid of mine for something a little newer and the price diff between the 172 cup and 182 trophy could be as much as 5k and am wondering if it is worth it. Potentially i could renew the williams with a cup in the not too distant near future but the trophy could be late 08.

Reaction score
woow, your asking a difficult question.

I went straight to the Trophy, not having owned any of the previous.
I love my Trophy, end of.

Is it worth the extra over other models? drive it and see.
I don't regret buying the most expensive model, the smile i get when driving on the w/e is worth every penny.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 172 Cup before the Trophy and the way the Trophy handles is better then the Cup i've found. The whole feel of the steering was a lot better on the Trophy, the cup in a way felt a bit softer and not as 'pointy'.

Corners can be taken quicker in the Trophy and when you do find the end start to slip its easier to predict and then control... Its great chucking it into roundabouts! :roll:

Performance wise i think my Cup was slightly faster due to weight and also more miles... I put it on a RR and it kicked out 183 bhp, i'm yet to put the Trophy on a RR however it currently only has 11K miles whereas the Cup had 40K ish.

I love the Trophy and cannot think of anything else i would replace it with... Maybe a clio V6 :lol:

Reaction score
Cups feel quicker, but they are generally higher mileage so have loosened up a bit. Handling, I would only describe as like a Trophy but on skinny tyres... the Trophy is a long way ahead in that department IMO.

Tuning wise, from the 2.0 16V Clios I've driven a good induction and exhaust makes a hell of a difference. In fact, you feel pretty invincible. Let's put it that way :)

Just to make your decision even harder, I had a Williams for a while early 2007, it reminded me how good they are, still bloody quick from A to B and feel lightweight by modern standards. Although undoubtedly they do feel like an old car now in many ways.

Reaction score
I had a FF 172 for a year before the trophy & borrowed a mates 182 FF while he was away on holiday.

As soon as you show a trophy a good series of bends it comes into it's own.
My first attempt at some of my favourite bends almost came to a sticky end as in the 172, i had to apply more steering input as i entered the bends the trophy just sailed through with no extra input.

I also like the fact they are rare & i very rarely see one :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.

In a way i feel the best car to replace the Williams with is a Trophy. What i love about the williams is the rawness to drive, the decent mpg i recieve from what is a 'fairly fast car' and its relatively cheap to run in terms of servicing and repairs (yes must be the only one). The only issues i have really is the age of the car and the fact everything on it seems to be a pain to change (mods never go on easily).

I suppose what i would be looking from a trophy is a newer version of mine which would inevitably have to be a bit quicker and 'better' overall to make the decision correct. The only disadvantage to the Trophy is the almost 'blandness' to look at. Dont get me wrong they look stunning imo, just whereas the williams is a bull in a china shop the trophy is much more shall we say elegant/sophisticated. All i need to do now is to get this damn wedding out the way to starting saving some serious cash!

Reaction score
Hello I had a 1.2 16v dynamique then a 172 and now a Trophy!

I am very sad and also often vist the dealers and pester them for test drives! Like on Friday when I drove a Megane r26 in yellow.

Trophy is best I have driven if you want a basic but fast car that loves corners! My 172 was quick in a straight line but was a wobble merchant in the corners. However, it did have climate control, 6 disc changer etc etc. The seats are excellent in 172 as well.

Trophy is brilliant, love it too bits. I frequently drive up to Scotland and the Trophy has a habit of getting me very lost on twisty roads. But it is fun.

The downside of the 172 is the induction, their is a big differrence in power between the two cars. Also you will find that 182 engines seem to have more power but in some way is being restricted. I also found the same with the megane on Friday. I have recently had my manifold matched, custom exhaust, itg filter and remap done. The car is totally differrent and power is delivered all the way to top end about 7200rpm. Car pulss in every gear even fifth and fourth.

If you are looking for a bargain I d track down a low mileage 172 cup - in my mind that is closet to trophy but cheaper. Also when on a test drive allow the car to warm up in order to get feel of power. The engine management will kick in at around 6000rpm if not warm enough.

Regarding megane r26 lovely car, but 18k for a renault! No thank you. Power wise it is quick but I am certain it would not leave my Trophy's sights.

Reaction score
In reply to g40 steve. I turned a bend yesterday and applied too much turn. Clipped my alloy! Not happy at all.

Reaction score
I never rag a car from cold, the williams gets left running for 5mins before driven in both summer and winter, and never sees above 3k unless above 60dc, dont give it death until normal operating temp... 80dc.

I just keep looking at 172 cups for 5.5k on 52/03's and thinking how cheap.... £5500, thats only a couple of k more than what i would get for the williams and could have one in a matter of months but deep down i dont think they are quite special enough. Its a tough one as i want a new car but saving the extra 3/4k (reckon trophys will be circa 8/9k this time next year and outside warranty) is a task. I also want a car im not going to mod too much and i know the cup would get coilies, poss big brakes, buckets and some engine work whereas the trophy wouldnt get the seats or suspension saving me a packet.

Reaction score
If you test drove a 172 cup and 182 Trophy on same day I dont think there would be much difference to be honest.
172 cup got a lot of attention in terms of suspension set up.
I ve seen a couple on autotrader going for 5.5k with 20k miles. I am even tempted to purchase one!!

Trophy is excellent and thats why I bought one but for that money you cant go wrong. Check out french cars magazine they have one on long term/ownership test.

Reaction score
I used to own a 172 before the trophy, and the difference in cornering is amazing. The 172 was very tame where as the trophy is alot more raw in the bends. Im currently looking at getting a 172 cup for a track project because i cant bring myself to strip the trophy and track it. I have never driven the cup version but i am very interested to see the difference between it and the trophy!

Reaction score
I ve drove three cups on test drive - very hard ride and direct in the corners.

Hard steering as well.

Reaction score
must agree with u phil
i also had a 172 before the Trophy and in cornering the difference is amazing.

My mate has a Mr2 and we had a little raz on a long open country road once.
in a straight i would lose him in no time but come the sweeping bends i would need to back off and he would come back at me....... in the Trophy forget it, the speed you take through and out of the bends is far higher.

as much as anything i think it just gives you the confidence to push harder than you thought you could, it just feels so bolted down and stable at speed.

i guess it depends if you want to pay more to get the best or bag a bargain for a very good alternative, no contest for me, i just love the Trophy
good luck :wink:

Reaction score
mates of mine have a mk1 172, 172 cup, 182, 182 with cup packs and mk1 v6.

haven't really been at the limit in them in the road and straight line are all about the same speed. But the trophy was the quickest round track and you can just tell its faster round corners even when going slowly!

But for me it was only the trophy I wanted.

came from a punto, didn't even look at any other reanult sport.

Lee

Reaction score
I have a Mk2 172, 182 with Cup packs then the Trophy.

Personally I think the 182 with Cup packs was a better all rounder. The Trophy is superb when you are in the mood, but on the days you aren't in the mood it's a bit tiring.

Handling wise the best of the bunch are the 172 Cup and Trophy. I'd still say the Cup has a more nimble feel to it, but ultimately less grip.

Obviously I've done a fair few track days in all my Clios. The Trophy is obviously the best, but not as easy to exploit as the 182 was. Lift off oversteer was easy and fun in the 182, in the Trophy it's usually a sign you are pushing too hard, and it's going to bite you on the ass.

I love the Trophy, but some days I just want to get to and from work in comfort. It doesn't do that because it is VERY stiff. I've had mates in it who've got far more exotic machinery and they all say "christ this things stiff". One of them has an Elise, and reckons that's more comfortable!

Reaction score
Lee said:
The Trophy is superb when you are in the mood, but on the days you aren't in the mood it's a bit tiring.

Yup I agree.

I feel lucky that I don't have to drive it everyday.

Reaction score
Sorry but I am a die hard Trophy fan and love driving it everyday. The way it sucks you in and makes you drive quicker than you ever thought is excellent.

Just watch the police!

And your wallet due to price of V-POWER!

Reaction score
Oh how she loves a drop of V-Power - and as you say it aint cheap, 102.9 at the minute where I am

I still love driving it every day, even if I'm just going to work and back it still makes the journey a whole load more fun when I hit the back roads :D

Reaction score
But of a bump, but i was wondering how the trophys respond to engine mods? I dont really know too much about MK2 RS's so what are the potential best mods in relation to value for money?

Also i do recall a RR where a Trophy(s?) only made 160bhp on the rollers, was this a one off or is this the anticipated bhp output?