Reaction score
Trophy No.
Totally gutted to hear about your latest spell of disastrously bad luck! All I can say is that I wish you all the best with whatever you plan to do next... Because you really desevre a break!
Do I sense some boost?
Best of luck.
Thanks mate. Yes, boost is definitely an option and most likely the route I will take next. Fingers crossed :)

Just a comment, the Trophy was all about handling not outright power. How about focusing your energy and money on the handling side? Perfect this and you'll carry more speed more of the time. So option 1/2 it is.
Haha, fair points but I've focused time, money, resource on the handling (and a bit of driving tuition) as well as the mild engine power increase :) The chassis is capable of handling more so I thought why not. I'm never going to be a Lewis Hamilton, I'm not worried about shaving tenths of laps on trackdays, I'm just in it for the fun :) Option 1/2 it may be. But it might be 3, too. :)

Nothing wrong with a little extra of both :)

Like everyone I've followed the "progress" of 165 for it seems a fair while (I even saw it at Fred's last year) and it must be heartbreaking for you. Do you recon that you can pin most of the problems down to what proved to be a 'weak' engine right from the start?
It's real difficult to say for sure mate (probably more so for me as I'm not a car techie). There are signs of low oil pressure and fuelling completely out of whack, which led to bore wash. At some point the fuel components will be tested for faults but sadly what's done is done. But you have to stay positive... I can re-use the conrods and valves! :)

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
A boost option does sound good but if it was me i would be playing it safe and going something with a steady 220 /240 bhp and no more.

As its been said modifying costs money and lots of it and the more you do the more you want.

Reaction score
Turbo Trophys are the future Andy, either that or fit a Type R lump in there.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
A boost option does sound good but if it was me i would be playing it safe and going something with a steady 220 /240 bhp and no more.

As its been said modifying costs money and lots of it and the more you do the more you want.
Very true mate. Once that modifying bug bites it's hard to ignore. Even for the more 'mature' gentleman. Not that I'm particularly mature or a gentleman. Hahaha. Joking aside, it's been a bit of a fun time trying to decide what to do. On the one hand I want to go down the modified route again to some degree, on the other hand I want to just throw a crate engine in and enjoy it.

Two forums are hanging on your decision Andy :cool:.
I think there are a few mate! :D The decision has been made now though so parts are being pulled together and ordered, and the relevant people contacted.

Turbo Trophys are the future Andy, either that or fit a Type R lump in there. 
Yeah, seems to be the way mate. I'm sick of trying to get a nice setup with my beloved NA working reliably so time for a change. AS for the Type-R lump... heh heh, that's very tempting but I think I'd better leave the K20 in the Civic otherwise my good lady wouldn't be too impressed! :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nothing much new to report at the moment other than an order has been placed for various parts to get the new build moving forward. I've decided to go down the boosted route (despite my love for all things NA) and can't wait to get it back and to have some fun in it once again. Alas, it will be a while until it's back but I'm no stranger to playing the waiting game... :)

I'm still not sure what's happening on the ECU / management front as yet though and may well have to go down the route of a (road legal) digi-dash installation as well.

Reaction score
Sounds interesting and glad things are moving with your trophy and I hope all the demons of the past will be exorcised

Reaction score
Compound turbo hanging off the rear is it Andy? Just working this thru with a friend on his r56 cooper. He thinks it will be mental. I think he's mental and if it works....Mental to drive it.

you do remind me of him.. Every time I think he could have easy fun with the easy option, a mod grenade gets dropped into the middle of it all again..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sounds interesting and glad things are moving with your trophy and I hope all the demons of the past will be exorcised
Thanks mate :) I hope those demons have been exorcised, too! I hope I am soon able to provide some updates with the progress that's being made but - alas - things are moving slowly at the moment. An engine builder has been lined up though so it's now "only" a case of finding a bottom end, Megane 225 head, handing over some newly bought components (along with a couple of items that survived the last build), deciding on what to so with the ECU / management and then mapping... it's practically done! :p

Compound turbo hanging off the rear is it Andy? Just working this thru with a friend on his r56 cooper. He thinks it will be mental. I think he's mental and if it works....Mental to drive it.

you do remind me of him.. Every time I think he could have easy fun with the easy option, a mod grenade gets dropped into the middle of it all again..
I was thinking more... jet propulsion mate... :) I don't know if I'm a bit stupid or what to be honest. I'm very fortunate to be in a position to do this, but had I known the problems I'd have faced over the last few years I would have invested my money in something completely different. However, my decision to invest heavily in modifying the Clio was made and that's the route I went down. It's been an expensive choice unfortunately so I'm hoping things work out better this time (even though the sensible thing would have been to go back to standard).

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Brembo 4-pots bought so that's the brakes sorted as well now :) Although, as someone reminded me recently, it's not the stopping of the car that's the problem; it's getting the damn thing moving!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Anyone ever bored out the reno lump? Is it possible?
Yes mate, my last build was over-bored to 83mm.

The most I've seen is 83mm but ktec list wossners in an 84mm diameter. Personally I try to keep everything in stock dimensions, makes things easier to replace without machining things.
84mm is generally regarded as being quite risky, although a few people have done it. There's not much room in there in terms of increasing displacement through boring.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
May 2015 - Update

Just a quick update...

A selection of parts have been ordered...

• Garrett turbo
  • Turbo manifold
  • Turbo downpipe
  • Uprated fuel pump
  • Uprated injectors
  • Helix paddle clutch
  • (and some other bits)

...and should start arriving any day soon. I'm looking to get an intercooler from AH Fabrications who also produced my awesome radiator :) In terms of the engine it will, hopefully, soon be on the way for building. Just a couple bits to source including a small matter of sourcing a Megane 225 head before it goes off for build. A decent head has not yet been found and buying brand new may prove costly. We shall see on that one!
The gearbox, despite not having many miles on it, will be off to get checked out and refurbed along with fixing the 3rd gear issue I've been having. The ECU and management side of things should start to move forward as well following a discussion about budget and deciding on the best way to go. Suffice to say I want it doing properly!

Finally, I was able to pick up these Brembo 4-pots earlier today from a fellow Clio owner (thank you!) and these will soon be off for refurb, powdercoating and then a special SJM brake setup. I'm looking forward to it!

20150530_brembos.jpg

Cheers!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
July 2015 - Update #1

Just a quick update... SORN'd for the time being.

July 2015 - Update #2

Well... I'm fast losing interest in the Trophy again at the moment. It's all part of the rollercoaster ride that is Trophy #165 (or whatever number it is, I couldn't care less at the moment). It's really frustrating to be missing out on meets, drives, track days and just getting out when the weather's good; especially living here in Wales where the roads are actually designed for RenaultSport Clios (true story).

However, on a positive note, a Megane 225 head has been found and is to be inspected for suitability by Steve (who will be building my engine). Chip actually bought the head and then thought it might be useful for my build, so a big thanks to him for that; it was a pleasant 'out-of-the-blue' surprise. :) I believe Steve is also looking at possible piston / piston ring options too.

Whilst the problem with the trophy has been one of getting it moving (and keeping it going) it shouldn't have any problems stopping. Not with today's arrival of these bad boys.

20150713_brembos02.jpg

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Sharky who done your Refurb.

Mines arrived today

Brembo%20001.jpg

Brembo%20002.jpg

Brembo%20003.jpg

Brembo%20004.jpg

Brembo%20005.jpg

Brembo%20006.jpg

Brembo%20007.jpg

Brembo%20008.jpg

Brembo%20009.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lol, Andy has posted two pictures of his brakes on his progress thread, I'm slightly confused as to why you think only nine of yours was enough?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Lol, Andy has posted two pictures of his brakes on his progress thread, I'm slightly confused as to why you think only nine of yours was enough?

I could ask why you replied at all ?

And to give you the answer is that I had just copied them from a thread over to here and it was on topic asking a genuine question and also showing the condition of the Calipers.

why did you reply again? Oh that right, cause your a prick.