Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lol. Ah well at least you've clarified that they are not pictures of all the different callipers you have.

Reaction score
and to get back on to topic :cool:

Andy, where did you go for your Exhaust, and would you recommend them? Emailed BTB and they are not producing them anymore :(

Reaction score
Lol, Andy has posted two pictures of his brakes on his progress thread, I'm slightly confused as to why you think only nine of yours was enough?

I could ask why you replied at all ?

And to give you the answer is that I had just copied them from a thread over to here and it was on topic asking a genuine question and also showing the condition of the Calipers.

why did you reply again? Oh that right, cause your a prick.

Lol. Ah well at least you've clarified that they are not pictures of all the different callipers you have.

Children, can you please stop winding each other up? We all know you both have significant knowledge of the Trophy, whether that be parts, modification or simply overall tenure of ownership. You perhaps have differing opinions of what's helpful to other users. That's fine. This forum is, most of the time, a really welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable place. If a little caustic to those that ask pretty stupid questions without a little prior research.

The forum needs you both. It's a better place due to both of your contributions. So please stop, metaphorically, flicking each other with towels in the changing rooms. Or if you do have a bromance blossoming I'm sure we'll all wish you all the best. For the avoidance of doubt that last sentence was a gentle wind up.

So no more handbags guys? Please.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Gordon I totally agree but you will see a lot of users being shot down for asking a simple question "perhaps silly" but none the less simple as they are possibly new to ownership and yet some users try and help and then hoolio seems fine to then shoot certain members down in flames with his bitching and pointless comments.

i actually feel sorry for a lot of users that have had this happen to them and I'm sure if you search you will find exactly what I'm talking about.

certain people clearly have a B in there bonnet and spoil it for the lesser few that do need the help.

seems at the moment I would not be able to go for a turd without hoolio running up at the back of me and moaning about the smell

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You know Marc I have zero respect for what you think so really don't care what you do or don't say. I have been on here for the best part of ten years trying to offer some advice and will continue to be so.

Reaction score
Gordon I totally agree but you will see a lot of users being shot down for asking a simple question "perhaps silly" but none the less simple as they are possibly new to ownership and yet some users try and help and then hoolio seems fine to then shoot certain members down in flames with his bitching and pointless comments.

i actually feel sorry for a lot of users that have had this happen to them and I'm sure if you search you will find exactly what I'm talking about.

certain people clearly have a B in there bonnet and spoil it for the lesser few that do need the help.

seems at the moment I would not be able to go for a turd without hoolio running up at the back of me and moaning about the smell

Honestly, I don't mind a little caustic banter toward those that ask dumb questions without doing any research. They are usually fine about it and get the information they require. Granted sometimes the responses can be heavy handed from some users, others less so, but that makes up the balance of personalities in a forum such as this.

It's the antagonising of each other that really isn't necessary.

Healthy debate is always fun. Such as the polite back and forth had with Krys_23 a few weeks ago that was deleted. It was simply opinions. Whereas personal deformation or derogatory comments aren't fun.

You know Marc I have zero respect for what you think so really don't care what you do or don't say. I have been on here for the best part of ten years trying to offer some advice and will continue to be so.

Well fair enough if you feel like that. Let's just try to not antagonise each other.

Reaction score
Andy,
Whats your thinking around the master cylinder/Dans(SJM) advice? 1/3 of the reading appears to be fine with a slightly longer pedal feel. 1/3 appears to be too long and needs the master cylinder and the rears are still fine. Last 1/3 appears to be master cylinder and the rears need restrictors as they actuate too much?

I am holding off doing mine till the weather changes to keep it on the road for now. I bought Phase1Tom's 280mm kit with alloy bells on CS.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Blimey, what have I missed?! :)

Sharky who done your Refurb.
Hi mate, I have replied to your PM's (rather than give out details of those involved without first asking them if it's ok!) Apologies for the delays in replying to you; I've been away from home and suffering with my health at the moment. Please give me a shout if there's any further information you need.

Andy, where did you go for your Exhaust, and would you recommend them? Emailed BTB and they are not producing them anymore :(
Hiya mate - my exhaust is a custom made full stainless from Pro-Speed, Cardiff. I can't fault it. Sounds good, nicely built and cleans up beautifully (even after all these years). I can certainly recommend them and Charlie and the team offer great advice and after sales (if needed).

http://www.pro-speedexhausts.com/

Andy,
Whats your thinking around the master cylinder/Dans(SJM) advice? 1/3 of the reading appears to be fine with a slightly longer pedal feel. 1/3 appears to be too long and needs the master cylinder and the rears are still fine. Last 1/3 appears to be master cylinder and the rears need restrictors as they actuate too much?

I am holding off doing mine till the weather changes to keep it on the road for now. I bought Phase1Tom's 280mm kit with alloy bells on CS.
Hey mate, I'm very much going to 'suck it and see'... :) Once the car is up and running I'll use the running-in period to see how the brakes feel and how they work. Once I've had some time to get a handle on them I'll see what (if anything) needs tweaking. To start with I'll just stick them on with the standard master cylinder setup and go from there. I've not had an opportunity to discuss the brake setup with Dan yet but will keep you updated on anything noteworthy... :) It could be a while though as there's a lot of other stuff to be done in the meantime!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
August 2015 - Update #1

Only a small update...

Sadly I've been in poor health of late so I've been taking things easy and generally feeling sorry for myself. As a result, it didn't half cheer me up when Dan sent me this photo to say that my turbo had finally arrived! Still a long way to go but it's another step in the right direction :)

GT2860R

20150801_turbo.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
September 2015 - Update #1

Progress continues to be made and yesterday I received some good news :) The core engine has been sourced, picked-up and dropped-off with Mike. It will soon be on the way to Steve so that he can work his magic on it. A massive thanks to Mick (Diamond Motors) for the engine and to Chip for the pick-up and drop-off.

A decision has also been made on the ECU / management side of things and I'm happy to report that the Trophy will be running a MaxxECU setup (following lengthy discussions between Mike and Chip (who runs a MaxxECU)). I paid for it last night and it should be on the way over from Sweden in the coming weeks. Now that that decision has been made Mike can turn his attention to the loom (I don't envy him one bit but I'm incredibly grateful!) The MaxxECU offers some real nice features including plenty of channels and some cool logging features. As part of the solution, 4x EGT sensors have been ordered so that temps can be monitored and engine protection measures programmed as necessary (e.g. monitoring of EGT deltas, etc). Again, thanks to Chip for bringing this solution to my attention and the information based on his experiences during the installation and setup of his own MaxxECU solution. I don't have any actual pictures so here are some I borrowed from the 'Net.

20150902_ecu01.jpg

20150902_ecu02.jpg

20150902_ecu03.jpg

The last image shows the ECU outputting real time data feeds to a companion app on an Android-based tablet (such as a Nexus 7) via Bluetooth. While it's a nice feature to have available (and one I'll potentially have a play around with at some point) it's quite likely the MaxxECU will be driving a digi-dash such as the DASH2 from Race Technology (although it's still to be decided).

And finally, a thanks to Dan who still continues to trip over my Trophy whilst it awaits the new upgrades :)

Reaction score
Good to hear that you are making progress with things. Ecru looks and sounds amazing and with all that monitoring will be no more problems.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Great news :D fingers cossed for you :D
Thanks mate :)

Nice mate,
remind me again is it a 197 your putting in a 182 block?
Thanks, Chris.

The engine is built around a F4R bottom end, a Megane 225 head (non VVT) and a 197 inlet manifold. It will be machined / worked to make it flow nicely and then forged Arrow conrods will be going in along with CP forged pistons. And a few other bits as well :)

Good to hear that you are making progress with things. Ecru looks and sounds amazing and with all that monitoring will be no more problems.
Cheers mate. I'm sure there will be little gremlins and teething problems with a build of this nature (we have to be realistic!) but the thinking is that the engine protection features will help catch something serious before any major damage is done. That's the plan (the hope!)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
September 2015 - Update #2

Just a very minor update... I popped over to see Dan (SJM) yesterday and he was kind enough to let me lovingly caress the parts that I'd already paid for and that had obviously been delivered to him. That was a special moment! LOL! If nothing else, it helped boost (see what I did there?) the enthusiasm for the Trophy again. I also picked up my misshapen and damaged forged pistons from the 'outgoing' build and these will be polished up into some rather nice-looking paper weights. Or door stops
clear.png
:)

I also received confirmation from Mike (thanks!) that the bottom end is now with Steve, along with a few other bits and pieces
clear.png
:) and I had confirmation from Maxxtuning that they had received my payment for the MaxxECU.

Oh yes, Dan is also looking to get my gearbox sorted on my behalf. That may or may not be a hefty bill depending on what is found when it's pulled apart
clear.png
:) Fingers crossed it's not too bad as the gearbox has hardly any miles on it since it was rebuilt and the installed diff is practically new and unused as yet.

Reaction score
How on earth did you run that long enough to brake a gearbox on an Na build? Without it turning into a discussion regarding come back on the engine build.. The gearbox however must be a different case surely?

so is the crank a 182? And is this the same as a 225?
assuming 182 block to match the box
does the 225 head fit straight onto the 182 block?

really interested as I know a few of builders/tuners do strap on turbo conversations but this seems much more thought thru.