Reaction score
jsthomson said:
Yea that is the part number from the sticker that was on the damper.

jsthomson

Thanks JS. I should have been prepared to get down and dirty myself, so I did just that to see if there was a Sachs number on there too ... and there is. It is shown on two rows as:

DB5
84 4904 001 796 SACHS

I've dropped an email to Ben Fricker at BG Motorsport (who rebuilds the front Sachs dampers) to see if they can supply them directly.

I'll report back.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
jsthomson said:
hoolio said:
No, I've just been and had a look and I can't see a number on mine either so not much help there I'm afraid.

Did you see the two red and whites squares on either of the springs.

jsthomson

I wanted to double check that there was no number so went underneath and cleaned the whole spring and yes they have white and red squares painted on them though I have no idea of their significance.

Reaction score
I have finally ordered the parts from France:

2 x rear springs - 8200 342 862
2 x rear dampers - 8200 519 954

At a cost of £459.70

Can wait to get them fitted.
jsthomson

Reaction score
calumski said:
jsthomson said:
Yea that is the part number from the sticker that was on the damper.

jsthomson

Thanks JS. I should have been prepared to get down and dirty myself, so I did just that to see if there was a Sachs number on there too ... and there is. It is shown on two rows as:

DB5
84 4904 001 796 SACHS

I've dropped an email to Ben Fricker at BG Motorsport (who rebuilds the front Sachs dampers) to see if they can supply them directly.

I'll report back.

If they are a lot cheaper pls don't!!!!

jsthomson

Reaction score
I heard nothing back from Ben (he's a busy man) so I'm now just waiting for the units to arrive from Renault. They're on back order. That's been 2 weeks now :( I've been quoted £120 a unit.

Reaction score
Try these guys:

PARK'S, MOTHERWELL
01698 264 162

Ask for John in parts department.

He is getting my rear dampers. He might help ya!!!

jsthomson

Reaction score
Thanks JS. As luck would have it, my back-order dampers have just arrived. Booked to be fitted on Friday :)

Reaction score
First off, apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place for it.

Just took my Trophy in to Renault for the rear dampers to be replaced as one was leaking oil, drove it home and something felt odd. Turns out they put the wrong dampers on, the Cup spec ones.
Apparently there's a fault with the central Renault parts system which pulls up the wrong number when selecting the Trophy parts list. Just for info, the part number I got fitted was 8200 681125, so well worth checking.
I believe the correct part number is the one someone reported earlier (8200 519954). Would explain why it seemed so cheap!

Parts are now on back order from France so I've got a couple of weeks of driving on the Cup shocks.

Reaction score
bobtbobtbob said:
First off, apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place for it.

No need to apologise and thanks for bringing the part number confusion to our attention. Well worth knowing about. (tupw)

Reaction score
It's also worth noting that the handling is now slightly more "interesting". Definitely looking forward to getting the right ones back on there.

Reaction score
bobtbobtbob, I've orederd a set of rear dampers 3 weeks ago, apparently there is no eta on when they'll be made. Was there yesterday asking them so seems the'll be quite a wait for them to be manufactured :/

Reaction score
That doesn't sound like good news. Might give them a call and chase them as they said 5 to 10 days, although given they put the wrong ones on anyway, not sure I'd trust what they say...
Why did you need to change yours?

Reaction score
When I replaced my rear units it was simply because I'd had the front Sachs rebuilt and wanted a fresh set all round. Although the rears are more expensive that a standard 182 they are small beer compared to the fronts so worth changing, I reckoned.

Reaction score
Was planning on fitting new ones along with the fronts getting refurbed anyway, but one started leaking few weeks ago. So mines on 172/182 dampers.

Let me know if they say anything and I'll do same if I get news.

Reaction score
I've just noticed one of my rear dampers is leaking. Can the rear dampers be rebuilt the same as the fronts or should they just be replaced? I've noted the part numbers above (8200 519954) who's the cheapest supplier and can I just get my local garage to fit them or is this something Renault have to do? Should I just bite the bullet and get all 4 rebuilt / replaced at the same time (car is on 41k)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Rick,

The rear dampers are not rebuilt like the fronts, you just replace them. You can get your local garage to fit them or have a go yourself as they are really easy to fit. If one is leaking I would suggest replacing them both with new ones. I personally would have the front dampers sent away for servicing at the same time that way you will have all the dampers is full working order. It would be expensive so if you feel the handling has not deteriorated then there is no halm leaving the front dampers as they are.

Reaction score
Awesome thanks Ben I haven't noticed anything wrong with the fronts but I may well get all 4 done because I expect the other 3 won't be far behind. I take it from what I've been reading lately that BG motorsports are not the only guys (nor cheapest) in town who can rebuild these now?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah im sure some other owners have had their dampers serviced elsewhere. I think Stealthsport can service them?

I paid around £440 inc delivery I think, but I know the price has gone up since then, probably somewhere around the £500 mark. Ouch !

Money well spent though :D

Reaction score
Stealthsport, predictably, are no more. Went t1ts up last December.

So your options for rebuilds are still BG, or another suspension rebuilder - im sure most will be able to do it.

Reaction score
You're kidding, Stealthsport aren't trading any more? Looks like I'll have to contact BG then