Reaction score
Looking for some advice regds a problem a fellow trophy owner is having .

It seems to be having problems starting and seems to be starter motor related but after the aa man wacked it a few times it still not working , its been at the dealers and they replaced the starter motor, it worked for a day and now its just clicking again and wont start , has to be bump started .. its goiung back to renault again today ..

has any1 else had problems starting ? renault dont seem to know what the cause is ?

any help or info would be appreciated thanks in advance ..

Reaction score
If you have had a new starter motor it shouldn't be that.

Possible bad earth contact or live feed, or relay from ignition. :-k

Get them to check TDC sensor they have issues. :-k

Bumping, is bad [-X

Reaction score
Still with the garage, they requested the spare set of keys late on today. Seem to think it is a key problem. When I was dropping the spares off I jumped in and gave it a go, no starty, quel surprise!

I will keep you posted

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i was thinking it could be something like an earthing issue or possibly an immobaliser issue. Are they getting the electrics but just nothing from the engine?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve Gunnis said:
Cue said:
Shabba said:
Is that right, that modern motors dislike bumping :?:

better not do - i live on a hill and always bump start....

The 330 and Trophy :?:

Is that to save fuel? :lol:

can't bump start the 330 as 1. i sold it and 2. it was auto. but it's kinder on the starter motor to bump start and in french cars that's a part that will need replacing as it ages - im in Trophyland for the long term.

Reaction score
Cue said:
Steve Gunnis said:
Cue said:
Shabba said:
Is that right, that modern motors dislike bumping :?:

better not do - i live on a hill and always bump start....

The 330 and Trophy :?:

Is that to save fuel? :lol:

can't bump start the 330 as 1. i sold it and 2. it was auto. but it's kinder on the starter motor to bump start and in french cars that's a part that will need replacing as it ages - im in Trophyland for the long term.

I was wondering why you needed to bump start your cars when you've got a brand new Trophy and a new BMW before that. Has it ever needed a bump start?

Reaction score
Be good to here from nitro on this post , i believe he has still not got to the bottom of the problem yet after all this time :(

after the reno dealers tried numerous fixes it still had the same problem with starting ,so they made the decsion to replace the loom :shock:

in the meantime Nitro's been running around in a Modus :lol:

he told me today that the car has now got additional probs after the loom change and going to be with them for longer :(
hes not having much luck and has not been offered any form of compensation for the 3 months of hassle trying to get to the bottom of the problem .

anyway Nitro keep us posted on the outcome :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd be writing to reno to get them to sort it - brand new trophy straight out of the factory? chance none, but worth a try.

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As Catastrophy was saying, the saga continues.......

So far, the car has had 2 new starter motors, new starting relay, new circuit board.

Now on the 5th visit to the dealers in 3 months (normally a week at a time!!!!) It has had 2 new wiring looms fitted, the wrong one in each case because the heater did not work once fitted. Now waiting a week for a loom coming from France on back order. This is now 2 weeks they have had it this time.

The really annoying thing is that every time we got it back, it was playing up again the next day. The dealers do not give a hoot!

Ren UK know all about this. Think I need to write a letter.

At least this garage has provided the modus (which we are strangely learning to like)

Nitro

Reaction score
Hi, im new to this forum, although i'm fairly regular on CS (same user name ;) ) G40 Steve told me there was someone else with this problem when I saw him last week, cheers bud......

Well as far as I can tell I've got the same trouble too. I've just had my car back from renault today, and they say they've fixed it. I cant say I believe them though!

My problem only happens when its cold, you turn the key and the lights all light up. turn it fully and nothing happens, just a slight click from the dash area.

Renault have changed the starter, and relays. and it still didnt start when I had it back Its just been in for a week, and they "say" theyve fixed it, and it was a poor conection on the starter....... But surely if that was the case, It would have been fixed by changing the relays and starter 2weeks ago????

I've had this problem now for 2 winters, but its much worse this year. Its been in and out of the dealers constantly since November, and i'm well out of pocket, after having to pay for hire cars, taxi's, lifts, and not to mention being hours late for work!

Just hope they really have fixed it, fingers crossed!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
not to add to the multitude of potential problem you could but, could it be a key thing?

I've never had this problem on the reno but on my beemer if i didn't rotate the keys every month or two the CPU would change the codes on them - so that the correct key wouldn't be recognised when starting the car. You could get in, put it in the ignition but the engine wouldn't turn over....

Could be another option for the dealer to explore....

Reaction score
Not long after I got my Trophy it wouldn't start - AA man came out stuck his arm right down under the engine and 'fiddled' with a switch on the flywheel (?) - then everything worked. He said it was the most common cause of non-starting on the Clio.

Never had the problem again...

Could that be too simple?

= Martin =

Reaction score
I am sooooooo pi$$ed off with the service from Renault now...... the saga beggars belief really.

The car is now going into it's 7th week in the dealers at stirling. They cannot get the correct wiring loom for it. They have therefore taken photos of the old loom and the ones that renault has been sending, to show the differences.There is a war going on between parts and technical within renault uk at the moment. The incompetence is extrordinary!!!

I hope that the loom is the problem......... after two starters and relays and circuit boards, i think this is a desperated attempt in hope.

Our car has therefore sat for 7 weeks without any more than the odd push into the workshop. God knows what other problems will arise from it sitting out so long without running.

balls.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd be writing to the UK MD and french MD of Reno, complaining about it with acurate timelines and names etc....

someone needs to be sacked over that. If it were my car, heads would roll.