Reaction score
Nick C said:
Any one using Tesco 99 fuel. I have just filled up with this. Normally use optimax.

Will let you know if i notice any difference.

The Evo report this month suggested it is very good however optimax has better cleaning qualities.

Nick C

Tried it (as I was already there getting groceries) and it seemed fine to me. Except for some ASDA petrol I put in my old 172 when desperate, I haven't really noticed a difference between petrol, specifically optimax, bp ultimate, tesco99.

Reaction score
On the subject of power, I know someone with a Trophy that took it to a rr and it ran 178bhp with 3000 miles on it.

Reaction score
Ron isnt everything, optimax is good because it has alot of detergent in it. Does Tesco fuel?

amm

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Ron isnt everything, optimax is good because it has alot of detergent in it. Does Tesco fuel?

don't know but i wold not put tesco s**t in my Clio as i filled up when i was desperate once i my old civic type r and it ran s**t on it it took 3 fill ups to get it running right after :x

Day

Reaction score
He's refering to Tesco 99 ;)

Hardly call it s*it. It's not quite as good as Optimax but i'd have the "tesco sh*t" over normal 95 unleaded.

Reaction score
Lol...

In response to the original question... no, I don't think Optimax is a rip off :)

It easily pays for iteself in the extra economy and performance over regular 95 in my experience.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:

Taken from the makers of "tesco" 99 RON

"Greenergy supplies the new 99 Octane Super Unleaded petrol now on sale at selected Tesco forecourts. This performance fuel has the highest octane rating (RON) of any petrol currently on sale at UK forecourt chains and contains an enhanced additive package to help remove engine deposits and ensure smooth engine running."

Reaction score
When i want food, i go to tesco. When i want petroleum, i go to a multinational petroleum company.

Would you buy a sausage roll made by shell? Exactly.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
Would you buy a sausage roll made by shell? Exactly.

No but i'd quite happily buy say a Ginsters sausage roll from the shop at a Shell Garage.

So is that really different to buying Esso fuel at a Tesco's?

I guess the real question is would you buy a Shell branded sausage roll if you knew it came from the Ginsters factory just in different packaging, and sometimes they were even delivered in Ginsters vans? :wink:

Reaction score
Just because tesco get petrol delivered in a bp lorry they ASSUME that it contains bp petrol. It doesnt. Its a common misconception held by really stupid people. What happens is that all the petrol comes from the same refinery / distribution centre. The tankers fill with the same petrol. The additives are they added to the tanker (solvents to increase ron, detergents etc) and the fuel is 'mixed' on the way to the petrol station in the back on the tanker as it slops around. Each type of petrol having its own closely guarded additives package. Its the additives that cost money. The more expensive the petrol the more additives.

Be my guest to buy cheap supermarket fuel. When your power is gone after 3000 miles because your valves are coked in carbon (which causes power loss AND detontation) and you engine eventually destroys itself, dont say i didnt warn you.

Im sure the £2.56 a year you save buying the cheap fuel will go well towards an engine rebuild.

Reaction score
Tesco fuel is supplied by a major Oil company. You could go to another branded fuel forecourt and buy the same stuff (one of our clients is this company so I know this as a fact).

I can't give details about additives etc.on the forum.

This goes for their oils too of which are exactly 100% as another brand of oil you can buy in a well known forecourt.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Like i said the BASIC PETROLEUM is the same. However the additives they add is the really important stuff. Chemicals to change the MON / RON, detergents etc.

Why people keep purpetuating this myth that all fuel comes from the same place so its the same fuel is beyond me. Yes it comes from one or two distribution centres, but the additives are specific for a particular type of fuel. The more additives it has in it, the more expensive the fuel (based on the fact that the BASIC fuel with no additives will cost the same to everyone)

Reaction score
I dont buy any fuel from supermarkets apart from the Tesco 99 RON stuff. This has all sorts of additives as quoted from the makers. I have a test in progress to compare the performance of it against Optimax. If it proves to be under powered I will switch back to Optimax. Until then the Trophy will keep getting the Tesco 99RON.

Reaction score
oh and when I am next at BP's refinery I will ask someone in the scheduling office about what gets delivered where etc just so we know from the horses mouth.

Reaction score
Well everywhere round my way's run out of Optimax at the moment, so I've had to put BP Ultimate in. Is that 97 RON? I assume it won't have the cleaning properties of Optimax, but I guess a tankful will be OK.

Reaction score
I don't perceive there to be a difference between Ultimate and Optimax - would happily run on either.

In fact, I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to notice any real-world difference after tests in a lab on either fuel. Chemically I doubt there is much seperating any of these top fuels.

There are more variable factors in the real world that I'd be concerned over before having to make a choice between the ~98ron fuels.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Miss Metallic said:
Well everywhere round my way's run out of Optimax at the moment, so I've had to put BP Ultimate in. Is that 97 RON? I assume it won't have the cleaning properties of Optimax, but I guess a tankful will be OK.

It has similar detergents.