Reaction score
find out tonight on Channel 5 at 8pm !

Fifth Gear
Channel Five: Monday, November 14 2005 (20:00 - 21:00)
Series 8 - Episode 6 of 10

Vicki Butler-Henderson takes on a death-defying challenge to get into the record books. Her goal is to drive in a straight line at 150mph - while wearing a blindfold. Tiff Needell takes the Ferrari F430 Spider for a spin at the Snetterton circuit, while Jon Bentley compares petrol brands to discover if premium fuels are worth the extra expense (subtitles) (stereo)

Runtime: 1 hour

Reaction score
Just watched the program and they compared Otimax to Ultimate and Supermarket own. On the std new Clio, they all made 81bhp, but on the new Golf Gti and new Scoob Sti Ultimate and Optimax showed impressive gains, Optimax coming on top by a few bhp or ft/lbs on both cars.

Glad I have been running my car on an Optimax only diet since the first full tank!

Reaction score
Can't get Optimax where I am. Shell do have something called V-Power though, which is meant to do the same. And the good thing about heading often to Germany is the 101 RON fuel you get everywhere there... (I assume that's what 98 ROZ equates to ?)

hyb

Reaction score
It's only usefull if your on a trackday, or running a import that hasn't been remapped for uk 95 fuel.

Reaction score
V-Power is the branding used elsewhere in the world. I think only in the UK is it Optimax.

I think too I have heard that if you have a performance car and you run on lower than 98 RON, you may actually see worse performance fuel consumption wise than if you run on 98 RON, so stepping down for what looks to be cheaper fuel, may result in you having to buy more of it, and so wasting your money.

Reaction score
Yup, being an adopted Yorkshireman, MPG for my day to day driving (as opposed to caning round for fun) is a factor for me too. If I save cash on petrol, I can spend it on handfuls of cold gravel to eat.

I've noted the Sainsbury's 97 RON in my C2 GT (not exactly a track car, but not bad for a tiny 1.6) gives much better MPG per tank than normal 95 RON, to the point it's cheaper to use than 95RON. I don't tend to go for Optimax or Ultimate, but if I see Sainsbury or Teso high RON petrol, in it goes (I don't trust the sources for other supermarket rebadged petrol). Makes for a nippier car, (allegedly) cleaner engine and better MPG. :D

Trophy will be getting run in on "Johnny juice" I'll do an MPG comparison in the Trophy running the 2 fuels too.

Now if only more Tesco's oop North had the 99 RON stuff on their forecourts...

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah, it's still worth the extra money for Optimax or Super in my opinion.

I've never claimed they give the car more power, but it is just much nicer to drive with it. It was exactly the same on my 172. I occasionally stick a tank of 95 when optimax isn't available and I can definitely tell the difference. On 95 the car idles more roughly, is noticably more noisy and the throttle response is poor at low revs.

I'll gladly pay and extra £2.50 a tank for this improvement and the extra cleaning properties they have.

Reaction score
LOL at people who buy a 15 k car then scrimp on a few pence to shove crap fuel in it, not realising their valves will look like a coal seller after 3000 miles.

Enjoy the BHP while it lasts boys. :p

Can you read the petrol cap? 'recommended 98 ron fuel' :roll:

Reaction score
got one on you today havn't you KS :shock:
Had to do some slaying on other forums??

Reaction score
Im not on one. I just dont understand how people cant read. When you open the fuel filler for a Mk2 clio sport it clearly states to use 98 ron fuel.

How much more advice do you need?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
At the risk of agreeing with Stromba :)shock: steady on!), Renault must put that sticker on the cars for a reason.

Yes it's only a recommendation rather than being mandatory, but there has to be a reason be it for driveability, performance or protection that has come out of the development and testing of these engines that they feel the need to do so.

I cant see why a manufacturer would effectively push up the cost of ownership of a car slightly without good reason.

Reaction score
Didn't they say on 5th Gear that legally a car HAS to be able to use 95 RON? Therefore it has to only be a recommendation. Ie. we advise you to use 98 RON as your engine may not work at optimum levels if you don't, but if you don't, then it will still work...

Reaction score
The ecu retards the engine with lesser fuel. It will still work but not to maximum power. Plus supermarket fuel is full of impurities, high in sulphur and turns your valves into coal (this has been shown time and again in scientific reports).

Enjoy :D

Reaction score
So renault recommend you use 98 ron fuel and you use 95? LMAO

Do you filter out the fully synth a use olive oil as engine oil?