Reaction score
Day said:
The guy in one of the video clips looks like Will Young... I hope Renault are not trying to say something...

You need a limp wrist to drive the 197?

Reaction score
" :oops: "

okok, i'm sure we all do, but every day driving i rarely get about 70. I like the trophy for the way i can get it round a bend rather than how fast i can get it. Also i'm not going to get nicked for taking a bend at 60, but will for going over 70. Do away with motorways and just have lots and lots of bendy roads. ha.

I'd love to see how the new 197 handles, sod the top end. If i wanted to go fast i would have bought a bike.

Reaction score
ducks butt said:
" :oops: "

okok, i'm sure we all do, but every day driving i rarely get about 70. I like the trophy for the way i can get it round a bend rather than how fast i can get it. Also i'm not going to get nicked for taking a bend at 60, but will for going over 70. Do away with motorways and just have lots and lots of bendy roads. ha.

I'd love to see how the new 197 handles, sod the top end. If i wanted to go fast i would have bought a bike.

exactly :D

Reaction score
Ha I watched that video and kept imagining the Trophy absolutely howling past that 197.

:D

Reaction score
hyb said:
ducks butt said:
Slugger said:
I've heard people say a couple of times about the top speed. How often do you go over 134 anyway??

Too right, how often do you go over a 100?

:oops:

I 'use' my car on the autobahn most weekends. It would be nice not to sit at 5,000rpm. Even in the UK it would be good to have a taller top gear in my opinion.

Oh, and a bike will be the next purchase! :wink:

Reaction score
This is not a replacement for the Trophy guys so it should not be compared to it.

Compare it to a full fat 182. I doubt the handling will not be as good as a full fat 182. Indeed I suspect it may be better.

It is classical Renault marketing to launch what seems like hundreds of variants within a few years of launch. I have no doubt they will have a Trophy equivelant once they start to do this...

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Hi Dudes,

I'm really enjoying the banter on the new 197...

I'm a bit concerned about the constant model changes too, but in Oz we have had the same with the Subaru WRX ... I got sick of it... However, to keep the brand alive (and remember they do race them) so model upgrade are inevidable with this car... and Renault want to keep their hot hatch, THE HOT HATCH.

I have always known that the 182 was the best hot hatch on the planet, (and the Trophy my fave) but things change and we move with it or do we? Depends on how you want to look at it...

As for me, I can't wait until I get my bum on its drivers seat!

I think the car looks great and much more pleasing to the eye than the 182. The side profile of the 182 has alwasy made me look in the other direction. The 182 has a side profile that only a mother could love...

As for the new double axis strut system set-up; brembos; six speed box; a breathed on engine; and that cool exhaust system, I'm lining up to have my first Clio 197 RS by the end of this year. Hey, and don't forget the new safety features - the 197 might just save your life - ever thought about that?

The size is just right for me, that's why I held off on the 182.

As for all this weight chatter - well, loose some yourself. Take 8 kilo off your tummy - you'll not only feel better but you'll enjoy drivin' the 197 even more.

Time's are a changin'

Cheers,

Phil

Reaction score
There were lots of negative comments when the 182 was launched, and again when the 182 Trophy was launched. Some people don't like change.

Reaction score
I think the new renaultsport has got the balance about right. It has definitely moved in the direction of the megane a little. If it had any more power it would be treading on its toes! I also like the fact that it has no turbo.
Everyone knows what they would like to change about their 182. Some would have it more stripped out, but most people wouldn’t. I would like a more precise 6 speed gearbox with a final ratio better suited for motorway cruising. That’s why the quoted top speed worries me.
Styling wise, I think it just needs a rear spoiler. Could make a good option! I think if you put it alongside a 182, it will probably make the 182 look pretty average.

As for the negative comments, I think we’re all a bit worried that if it turns out to be really good, our Trophies will lose their shine!
:cry:

Reaction score
Can't say I'm impressed to be honest. Rather heavy and 17" wheels. Doesnt look very nippy on the video.

On the upside, its a bit more roomy and has a 6 speed box for day to day driving and shopping. Looks reasonable, but another step away from fun pocket rocket. If I wanted to pay that sort of money and have a bit more room, I'd be looking more to an ST for the small price difference.

Reaction score
Wow, there's a lot of kit on there that used to be standard and is now chargeable:

OTR price £15995.

Options:

Auto Lights and Wipers - £75.00
Tyre Pressure Monitor - £250.00
Climate Control (only available with auto lights etc) - £250.00
Electric Heated / folding door mirrors - £100.00
4 x 15W RDS Radio with Single CD and 6 speakers - £100.00
Extra Tinted Windows - £200.00
Panoramic Sunroof - £600.00
Carminat Sat Nav - £1000.00
Double Distance Xenon Headlamps - £500.00
Pre Telephone Equipment - £100.00
4x 15W Radio with single CD and MP3 player with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters - £100.00
4 x 40W Cabasse radio with 6CD (dashmounted) and 4 speakers and 2 tweeters - £350.00
Metallic Paint - £350.00
Dedicated Cornering Lights - £150.00

Colours available are :

Non Metallic - Ultra Red and Racing Blue
Metallic - Deep Black, Albi Blue and Nimbus

Even less convinced now, £17K for the equivalent of an old full fat. Dangerously close to ST/VXR/GTI turf that...

Day

Reaction score
With the usual dealer discounts expect that to be less.

Remember nobody paid full asking price for thier Trophy...

Did they?

Reaction score
Nope, I certainly didn't, but then again, you shouldn't really be paying full ask for any car, although I'll grant that Renault do discount more than, say VW.

I'll still prolly have a test drive though, just to be sure :wink:

Reaction score
Had an invite to drive the 197 posted through me door today . Not till 24th of july but looking forward to giving it the once over then legging it before the sales pitch.

Reaction score
pacey said:
Had an invite to drive the 197 posted through me door today . Not till 24th of july but looking forward to giving it the once over then legging it before the sales pitch.

Be careful, you might get won over by the red band around the steering wheel and the extra solidity afforded by the 1240kg kerb weight. :wink: