Reaction score
Yeah thats what I think. I dont think I could justify having an R26R and my motorbike.

I am going to wait and see with reiduals but Iam hoping to pick an R26 up for 10k this time next year on a 57 plate with xenons. Or maybe go back to a Trophy?

Reaction score
I've got a bike too! :oops: lol Done about 100 miles on it this year. Need to sell it but everytime I fire it up the Yoshi Titanium race can just melts my heart! Its comforting knowing its there and i can go on it whenever I want but since its not being used its a bit of a waste. ps-a car can never replace a bike, you know what i mean!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
duffer987 said:
Hoolio - DR should have their review of the R26.R up soon I'd expect, as I assume they're all back from the 'Ring by now. I checked but its not up yet.

Duffer i don't need any more rave reviews i'm twitching enough as it is, i thought i'd scratched that itch when i bought the 5 but ECOTY has def rekindled interest and those prices above are very attractive.

...sequential box = dreaming while in a coma for that one :lol:[/quote said:
Thought that was what it was all about :D

Reaction score
R26R in Autocar this/last week.

It looks like a great driver's car, and I admire the way Renault really think about their specials: no-one expected it to be softer sprung than an R26, but that's what they've done.

However, it's a little too much of a track car for me. I think a six point harness would really start to get on my wick after a while...

Reaction score
I d love the six point harness, it would make every drive feel like a race!! I d probably banned in weeks!!

I ve a CBR600RR I ve done 1000 miles this year.

Reaction score
As much as I respect the R26.R, It's a different car to the trophy. It's much more track orientated / impractical and much pricier.

I don't see the point in replacing the trophy with another FWD car. If I wanted a 2 seater with sticky tyres for trackdays I'd buy an Exige for that money.

It's not been a good couple of years for bikes weather wise. I've only done around 1000 miles on my gsxr. Managed 3 trackdays though. :D

Reaction score
Luke335 said:
As much as I respect the R26.R, It's a different car to the trophy. It's much more track orientated / impractical and much pricier.

I don't see the point in replacing the trophy with another FWD car. If I wanted a 2 seater with sticky tyres for trackdays I'd buy an Exige for that money.

It's not been a good couple of years for bikes weather wise. I've only done around 1000 miles on my gsxr. Managed 3 trackdays though. :D

Exiges are definitely looking better value on the trade e-mail systems.

E.g. 2004/04 Exige in Storm Titanium with Touring & A/C plus some other spec. 6000m Trade £17000. Made £23500 of the identical car 12m ago.

Reaction score
Yeah, with car prices the way they are at the moment, there's a lot of fantastic second hand cars available for R26.R money.
I guess if I wanted an R26.R, I would not have the roll cage and track tyres so that it was more practical. I'd probably get through 10 pairs of tyres! You have to respect Renault for giving trackday fans what they want though (although I suspect on the wrong car).

Reaction score
I would be happy with an R26, the R26R is great, even though I aint drove one, but I feel it may be just too extreme.

Like I said above it would be like having two extreme toys! Bike and Track car! I cant justify that, whereas the R26 can be practical too.

Reaction score
Sure the R26 R is great...

However,

If it was on road tyres (like every other FWD car) rather than R888's how much faster would it actually be than an R26 at the ring?

I tink sometimes people forget that the biggest and easiest thing was changed by Renault - the tyres. Without this I really don't see it as much improved over the R26.

Reaction score
Good point Matt about the tyres.....

I keep thinking about going for the R26 as my Trophy replacement - don't think I could justify the R26.R to wifey.

Trouble is I just hate back end of the Megane. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but this is sooooo ugly imho.

Itch? Well, yes, but only because otherwise they are such brilliant drivers cars.

Which cars are brilliant drivers cars AND stunningly beautiful as well?

Reaction score
Are the R888S really that much better?

I ve only done a few trackdays, so my skill level is not at the point of noticing tyre alterations yet.

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
Are the R888S really that much better?

I ve only done a few trackdays, so my skill level is not at the point of noticing tyre alterations yet.

Yes, they transform any car majorly.

I would be interested to see how much faster the R26R would be over the R26 without the R888's.

Reaction score
Interesting test.

Autoexpress is running a test this week with R26R v New white CTR with the LSD. That will also be interesting. I love the look of the new CTR but when I test drove it I was disappointed compared to my 05 plate CTR.

Reaction score
Same trick as the e46 M3 CSL. I'm sure in an old Autocar They tried it with and without the cup tyres and the lap time was 3 seconds faster over roughly a minute. I'm guessing R888's are more extreme than michelin's cup tyre too (although some of the 'Ring will be flat out either way).
I tried track tyres for the first time at the 'Ring on my Trophy and there was a massive difference! :D

Reaction score
Its interesting to see that tyre choice does have an effect.

My local dealer in Edinburgh reckons they are getting an R26R in two weeks, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Reaction score
I think titanium exhaust and roll cage are essential to future resale value. I think there will be a market for these from the kind of people who, up until now, would have trackdayed a GT3 RS and are feeling the pinch.

My only concern is that the honeymoon period between old shape and new shape Megane will not last long enough to save the residuals on the R26-R. Whereas the Clio V6255 was always considered a completely different car to the old / new model Clios.

Hence, if you don't mind the shape they could be a real bargain in a few months and likely all be fairly low mileage.

If they were to track along the lines of the prices of Clio 182 / V6255, E.g 2005 182 £5500 / 2005 V6255 £11000 look at the price of the equivalent R26 and double it... seems unlikely!

Reaction score
I drove the R26 and i was hugely dissapointed to say how much i was looking forward to trying one out they grip so well but they just dont corner like a trophy, the R26R on the other hand certainly sounds intresting but its not my cup of tea really and as my T will be packing over 250 horses in the very near future i dont think i'll be needing to look into getting something else for a while :D

Reaction score
What car you got Destined for Victory?

Or am I an idiot because I cant work out your cryptic message?

I d expect, at the current rate of depreciation to see 57 plate R26s with sub 20k miles being had for around 10k in 12 months. To add to this, if R26Rs are being offerred at a discount then they will possibly have the same fate. Possibly be able to pick an R26R up for sub 14k?

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
Sure the R26 R is great...

However,

If it was on road tyres (like every other FWD car) rather than R888's how much faster would it actually be than an R26 at the ring?

I tink sometimes people forget that the biggest and easiest thing was changed by Renault - the tyres. Without this I really don't see it as much improved over the R26.

That's pretty much the main reason they're available as an option isn't it? So they can say their "regular" buy it from the factory R26.R went around the 'ring in such and such a time.