Reaction score
Hi all!

If your like me and enjoy reading car magazines such as Evo, Autocar etc etc. Then you'll see that the white R26R has been reviewed by every magazine under the Sun this month (including The Sun!!).

So is it the new Trophy? Is it special enough? And will there soon be an R26R website where fellow owners group together for protection from 'normal' R26 owners? Just like 182 owners against Trophy's!

Has anyone upgraded from a Trophy to an R26R?

Undoubtedly, you cant argue with the spec sheet and the aim Renault of the R26R to be the fastest hot hatch. However, the final question I d like to ask is it too extreme? Is it one step to far? And instead just be a car for the affluent as a second car? Is it no longer a hot hatch and instead an uber hatch like the S3 and BMW 130i?

All opinions welcome. This is a debate not an argument.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Interesting this, i've been pondering the same thing for the last month or so and i think the answer is yes and no, i think the price and size clearly put it in a different class, also the fact that it seems to be much more track focused as opposed to the Trophy's B road status but it's clearly going to have the same kind of following judging by the number of Trophy owners heads it has actually turned.

trophy176 said:
And will there soon be an R26R website where fellow owners group together for protection from 'normal' R26 owners? Just like 182 owners against Trophy's!

:lol: Love the idea of us as some kind of hunted endangered breed.

Reaction score
well i dont think anyone will dispute its a pretty serious and special car, and i dont think you can compare it to an s3 or similar, its almost as if the trophy idea has been extended to the limit, the fwd hot hatch laid bare to prove what it can achieve on the road (and impress lots of people on track). An s3 is far to compromised to prove anything about its potential road performance, likewise the bmw and forthcoming focus rs from what i read. If the rs is a more effective weapon, then i will be aiming for one of those, but i think the r26r will be the drivers choice. Power is nothing without control!! Was that a volvo ad?

Reaction score
Like Hoolio says the £20k+ price tag makes it less the everyman(or lady;-) hero, then a £13k Trophy was.
I'd also venture the limited appeal of the RS Megane, as opposed to the RS Clio will mean it won't quite make the same mark. Not knocking what Reno have done, I think its great, instead of the annoying "power" brigade, then done just about everything else to make a quicker, better handling car.

Reaction score
^^ Agree, the Trophy is the real hero. Pound for pound nothing comes close to the Trophy. :D

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
scott said:
Would still like 2 see the Trophy with a pro driver around the ring or topgear track. :D

I agree. I'm surprised its not yet been round the TG track...

(Unless it has already and I've missed it)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Renaultsport said:
scott said:
Would still like 2 see the Trophy with a pro driver around the ring or topgear track. :D

I agree. I'm surprised its not yet been round the TG track...

(Unless it has already and I've missed it)

They did put a 182 round so i suppose they think they have :)

Reaction score
I d prefer to see R26, R26R and Trophy round evos track.

In fact a Renaultsport shoot out round the evo track to see who is supreme.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There was a thread over on RS recently started by someone who has been lucky enough to go around the nurburing in both the R26 and the R26R with predictable results but it's a good read.

Reaction score
Is there much in it?

I really fancy an R26 next year, I think it has everything I need and want. A good cross between the bits on my 182 I like and the pure driving thrill of the Trophy. Plus a bit more space!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Here you go, thank you Jethro (i hope you don't mind)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

Thought it would be a great idea to share the following review that I was lucky enough to take part in recently on a trip to the “Ringâ€￾.

I have been away on a trackday for the last few days. All was not well on the first day as it poured with rain and the ring is without a doubt one of the most difficult places to drive when it is soaking wet.

As I was walking through the car park sulking and again moaning about the weather I looked up to see….!!!!!….. yes you got it was the R26R which had been brought along by “Drivers Republicâ€￾…. still chuffed to bits to see it I wandered over to take a closer look, sitting in the driver's seat was as it later proved to be a thoroughly decent fellow by the name of “Jethroâ€￾… no not the portly comedian from the West Country, but the “Jethroâ€￾ who recently departed Evo magazine to join Chris Harris (Ex Autocar) at the above-mentioned drivers Republic.
I would like to take this opportunity to say, Jethro was extremely supportive and informative with reference to the “R26Râ€￾, this fact was without a doubt bolstered by the hot laps I received in the passenger seat of the new featherweight “R26Râ€￾.

The car looks great in the flesh, the interior is fairly low rent to be honest, full plastic door cards, lots of grey, little stalky things on the mirrors, a crap looking clock, and so on, the point is emphasised by the fact that my own R26 has full leather and the Lux Pack, but you know what none of this mattered this car is just awesome when in action!

Once Jethro had offered the opportunity of a passenger ride it would have been unfair for me not to offer my own R26 as a direct comparison, something Jethro Thought was a great idea.

I Only took my car to the ring at the last moment due to the fact that the weather forecast was so poor, I've never driven my car on a circuit before but have been doing track days to some years in other vehicles.

My R26 has a couple of upgrades, remap, MillTech and K-Tec’s large intercooler... having said that it is a full fat version as mentioned above, don't get me wrong my car is very, very accomplished.

Once the sun came out, it was off in the R26R, the noise this car makes its just awesome, if you didn't order a titanium exhaust, once you hear it, you WILL regret it, the car pulls extremely strongly right through to the red line, this fact was exaggerated once Jethro drove my own car, which does have more torque but due to its extra weight feels more sluggish at a higher rev range.

What followed this was without a doubt a big surprise to me, the R26R out of the crate handled the “ringâ€￾ awesomely, pulling strong everywhere, breaking beautifully, riding the bumps and compressions with no problem whatsoever, Renault have built quite simply a true great, all other performance cars in its sector will now be measured by the success of this car a new line has been drawn in the sand, and the rest will have to aspire to it, if Renault had launched this car at the “ringâ€￾ with passenger rides for all potential customers, this car would have sold out there and then, yes guys and girls I loved it and it is that good especially on track.

On comparing the two cars, my own car pulled stronger with its extra torque low down, despite the extra weight, due to some greasy patches on the track this extra power created “torqueâ€￾ steer, something the R26R never suffered from, and was all the better for it, when the R26R was flat-out at nearly every corner the “DSCâ€￾, which was left switched on never triggered once, and believe me this is quite something considering how well this car travels and the speed it is doing at the time.

In my own car the “DCSâ€￾ was less restrained but to be fair didn't trigger as much as I would have thought, I do feel these electrical aids have a place on these cars and driven properly they do not intervene as we might think they would, Renault are particularly good at setting these up.

Due to the light weight of the R26R it travels so much better over uneven ground than my R26, the lack of weight causes less pitch and roll, one of the biggest issues forgotten is how a car is effected when weight causes “inertiaâ€￾.

As you all can probably tell thought the R26R was marvellous, it is without a doubt better trackday car than the standard R26, it will also probably ride well on the road, but of course as we are all aware it is a definite compromise.

There is without a doubt still a place for the standard car, on an everyday basis it is a much nicer place to be in, you are more cosseted and less hassled by the race car interior of the R26R, one thing that cannot be ignored is the fact that a good low mileage second-hand R26 with all the trimmings can be had now for 12k to14k and this car is still a brilliant all-rounder.

So if you're like me, a big Renault fan a trackday enthusiasts who lives only 5 miles from their workplace, has no need for back seats, completely hopeless with money then it is only a matter of time before the R26R will take pride of place in my garage.

Renault have created something quite special, true it is only for a limited market and having experienced the above-mentioned I think it will be some considerable time for the other car manufacturers to catch up.

To round up the above, this is only my opinion and I wanted to share it with you all as I feel quite privileged to have had this experience which is as near as I'm going to get to the ultimate “ test driveâ€￾…. you will not experience what I have until you have put your hand in your pocket and parted with your hard earned cash…. so I hope I've got my point across, the standard R26 is great in its own environment, the R26R is the R26 drivers greatest indulgence, “all hailâ€￾ the master!!!!

Reaction score
I've got dealers to knock off £4,500 off the car without even trying too hard! Best price I've been offered one for is below £24000 with full option (list-£28400). Almost nearly bought one after seeing it in eCoty.

I'm going to keep the clio though as I feel I'm not really done with it just yet-lol, mod it further and hope for an r27.r to come out in the not too distant.

Personally I believe the 26.r replaces the clio v6 and not the trophy. They're both mad renaults and similarly priced.

Btw what do you guys think the chances are of ever seeing an r27.r as a run-out model to the current clio? In r26.r spec together with the trophys' dampers? Or maybe even with a sadev sequential box?? Or am I starting to dream now?

Reaction score
Hoolio - DR should have their review of the R26.R up soon I'd expect, as I assume they're all back from the 'Ring by now. I checked but its not up yet.

...sequential box = dreaming while in a coma for that one :lol:

Reaction score
R27R - stripped out, in white with the Turbo engine and lsd all for 15k brand new. Plus recaros.

Where do I sign.

I cant agree that the R26R is like the V6 though. I always saw the V6 as a one off example of what could be done like a concept car but not really a focussed driving tool. The v6 figures just don't match up.

Reaction score
^^^Asims comments:

With all the rave reviews it was really tempting to buy a R26R. Nearly all dealers I approached offered the car for less than £20k. Best deal I was offered £18.7k with 15% off extras. Two main reasons I never bought were a) haven't made enough use of the trophy b) im hoping they'll be 10K in 18 months time..lol *wishful thinking*

Not drifting off topic, the Trophy and R26R are quite different. As an everyday car I'd say the Trophys would be easier to live with. As a weekend only car it'd have to be the R26.R.