Reaction score
A real off the wall choice would be a 123D 3 door M Sport - BMW can do some amazing deals on low mileage versions - 0-60 in 6.9 , stunning torque and reasonable economy - low 40's - handling good but a bit boring. I should have bought one as a road car.

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
SirSimon said:
I say I wouldnt regrett it, but I really miss my Trophy :(

It's been nearly two months, I am thinking about buying one on the side for some fun!

Are you not getting on well with the z4 then or just a bit civilised?

It's lovely don't get me wrong, like last night i did 130+ and it felt smooth and safe. But I feel the clio had more UMF, and I loved the extra rev's. The Clio's a toy, the BMW is class I suppose ( without sounding like a c0ck ).

Reaction score
as far vas build quiality, my mate had a 225 meg and felt like all renaults!!! the r26 is very well built compared, does not feel french!!!

Reaction score
Cue said:
my 2 pence on this, having owned e36's and e46's is if you want something more civilised yet is more fun and quicker then a e36 M3 evo would be my choice.

The E46 330ci i had felt similar in comparison to the E36 Evo that the Trophy feels in comparison to the 197. The 330 Ci was quick but the Trophy would win any battle you care to throw at it. But the M3 would show the T a clean pair of heals on anything other than a wet road, when they are a handful.

Personally I'd go with a 99 M3 Evo, say for £7k and save £5k on the cost of an R26 - plus it's more refined, quicker and won't loose any more value, where as the meggy will.

u read my mind cue, i was thinking of a e36 M3 evo, but there are big things regarding the VANOS system. Ive only read very basic stuff about it, but aparently they fail, and quite often. Anyone heard this?

Reaction score
If you can't afford the bills don't buy it :D
I used to have turbo/supercharged motors but i prefer ragging the tits off a na motor :wink:
3yr warranty FTW =D>
I thought about r26 nice drive, but lazy if you get what i mean. R26r is defo a possibility but will await 15k before i dip my toes there :D Also 250 looks well good compared to old meggy.

Reaction score
yea 250 is a real possibility

does look very nice.

thought about r26 nice drive, but lazy if you get what i mean

are you talking turbo spool? or just delivery of the power?

Reaction score
g40steve said:
I used to have turbo/supercharged motors but i prefer ragging the tits off a na motor :wink:
I thought about r26 nice drive, but lazy if you get what i mean.

Completely understand i loved the revs in the 172, but just wanted a change. dropping 2 gears to get a bit power when your not in the mood to rag it does get tiresome.

think by lazy power he means its just that it all comes from low down the rev range and its like you dont have to try very hard to get the power.

Reaction score
Vish356 said:
u read my mind cue, i was thinking of a e36 M3 evo, but there are big things regarding the VANOS system. Ive only read very basic stuff about it, but aparently they fail, and quite often. Anyone heard this?

Yeah the vanos is an expensive fix, £1200 if I remember correctly. Not all cars suffered this problem, however, it'll wise to pick a car that's already had the work done, check the invoices/service history. You'll hear a ticking/rattling sound from the front of the engine if it needs doing. The older 3.0ltr M3 (e36) did not suffer from this problem.

Reaction score
I have had old (er) cars and mint ones at that.

There is always that feeling that when the go in for a service they are gonna be big bills. I had a couple of calipers jam on and a MOT failure on emissions which at one point I was facing a couple of Cats. And you can double the bills if the car has an M on the back. You get good discounts on older non-M cars at BMW main dealers. I'm sure I will go back but probably to do the big diesel thing. 330d with remap.

I loved my E36. It was a 328 Sport one of the last with full spec & 19 inch Hartge Alloys. I had it remapped and inlet manifold changed so it made about 220bhp. Revved really freely. It felt really heavy car (although its probably the same weight as R26). And the brakes were about the same size as Trophy on a much heavier car.

You take for granted the benefit that the lack of weight has on handling & braking (not to mention fuel economy).

R26 depreciation has been savage for those first owners. At the start of the year they were in freefall and I thought £10k would be easy. I raised my budget and got the lowest milage, mintest, highest spec car I could find. And it looks like prices have recovered further since I got it.

I still have the Trophy in the drive & I dont feel a burning need to drive it.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
loosing £20k on the 330Ci in two years put me off new cars for life..... ok i put 120k on the clock in that time but it had nothing but the best when anything was needed. Even replacing the TV system at several thousands... in fact including tyres, servicing etc it's probably more like £30k spent on a car which cost me £35k iirc, sold for £12k - that's a £53k loss !!!! :evil:

Hence why i downgraded to quick hatchbacks which if i binned 'em every 12 months would only cost me £10k a year max... But knowing what i know now, it'd be back to old M3's which have already devalued to the bottom of their limit.

Reaction score
Cue said:
loosing £20k on the 330Ci in two years put me off new cars for life..... ok i put 120k on the clock in that time but it had nothing but the best when anything was needed. Even replacing the TV system at several thousands... in fact including tyres, servicing etc it's probably more like £30k spent on a car which cost me £35k iirc, sold for £12k - that's a £53k loss !!!! :evil:

Hence why i downgraded to quick hatchbacks which if i binned 'em every 12 months would only cost me £10k a year max... But knowing what i know now, it'd be back to old M3's which have already devalued to the bottom of their limit.

so on an E36 M3 Evo, what mileage and price should i be looking for? what sort of target?

Reaction score
Cue, you spent £30k on servicing in 2 years on a brand new car :cry: what did you do to it!

Reaction score
Good thread. I am a little late responding but I hink I have a good response as I have been there myself.

I sold mine in November as I needed a towcar. I was looking at BMW's, Audi A4's, Mondeo's, Vectra's etc all the typical choices. However I decided none of them would do me as I would get bored of them. I decided on sacrificing luxury for a little bit for performance and ended up with a MG ZS 180 after rembering seeing good reviews on their pace and chassis. The car is plenty older than the T, but a great chassis and the same sort of pace. Plus it tows just fine too. Its really comfortable so I shouldn't like it as much as I do, but I do. I can't really think of any time I have missed the Trophy...the night the new owner drove it away was very sad but since then I have seen a few and it hasn't really struck me that I miss it, just a few odd times but nothing too major. Even though in a way its nothing like the Trophy, it is similar in a way also, it was built for performance so when I am in the food it is great fun on the road whereas the BMW etc would not have been.

BUT there is a major factor, I have a toy too. Had it not been for the Westfield for the odd weekend blast and all the trackdays I do in that I think I would have missed it more. But either way I am very very happy with the MG.

So I think the point is (and I am sure someone else has said this) it just needs to do certain things. Anyone who has had a Trophy must (you would think) be into cars and have bought it for the obvious reason. Therefore you need to look for something in a car rather than 'its nice' and you won't get bored with...unless you are much older than me then its nice should do just fine :lol:

Hope you find something nice.

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
Good thread. I am a little late responding but I hink I have a good response as I have been there myself.

I sold mine in November as I needed a towcar. I was looking at BMW's, Audi A4's, Mondeo's, Vectra's etc all the typical choices. However I decided none of them would do me as I would get bored of them. I decided on sacrificing luxury for a little bit for performance and ended up with a MG ZS 180 after rembering seeing good reviews on their pace and chassis. The car is plenty older than the T, but a great chassis and the same sort of pace. Plus it tows just fine too. Its really comfortable so I shouldn't like it as much as I do, but I do. I can't really think of any time I have missed the Trophy...the night the new owner drove it away was very sad but since then I have seen a few and it hasn't really struck me that I miss it, just a few odd times but nothing too major. Even though in a way its nothing like the Trophy, it is similar in a way also, it was built for performance so when I am in the food it is great fun on the road whereas the BMW etc would not have been.

BUT there is a major factor, I have a toy too. Had it not been for the Westfield for the odd weekend blast and all the trackdays I do in that I think I would have missed it more. But either way I am very very happy with the MG.

So I think the point is (and I am sure someone else has said this) it just needs to do certain things. Anyone who has had a Trophy must (you would think) be into cars and have bought it for the obvious reason. Therefore you need to look for something in a car rather than 'its nice' and you won't get bored with...unless you are much older than me then its nice should do just fine :lol:

Hope you find something nice.

thanks for that...... im glad ure enjoying the MG.

I think the main items im looking for now rilly are, comfort when i dont wanna thrash, fun when i want to, space (very big thing now) and something that will last.

Its soo hard to think, or find something that matches what i want and what the wife wants (although she seems to be the easiest to please with just "i want something posh").

Obviously owning a T, i am very into my cars, but finding a replacement has suddenly become the hardest decision i have had to make.

I was driving to work today, and another possible option flew past me, a DC5 Integra....... but again i would have to comprimise on comfort.

ahhhh....... what to do?? :?
:?

Reaction score
MG 180 "same pace as the trophy" are you joking? i had one for a week last year and my old 106 GTI was faster

Reaction score
Vish356 said:
I think the main items im looking for now rilly are, comfort when i dont wanna thrash, fun when i want to, space (very big thing now) and something that will last.

Its soo hard to think, or find something that matches what i want and what the wife wants (although she seems to be the easiest to please with just "i want something posh").

If those are the criteria, consider these too (Megane sized) in order to fun then poshness
BMW M130i
VW Golf GTI
Audi S3 (old version)
Seat Leon Cupra
Mazda MP3

I could list more but that would just confuse you even more!

Reaction score
hmmm......... i had not considered the 130I and S3, but golf probably discount. Not a huge fan of VW at all.

Although the S3 & Cupra are exactly the same car..... :oops:

Reaction score
1-Series are surprisingly good.

My old man's got a 123D SE Coupe (only spoilt by auto box); more or less as quick as the Trophy. Not as fun on little roads, more relaxing on big ones.

I'd think carefully before ticking the M-Sport box as the SE suspension is plenty firm enough for most.

Reaction score
BoroGTI said:
MG 180 "same pace as the trophy" are you joking? i had one for a week last year and my old 106 GTI was faster

Well done for your input and help towards the thread starter :lol:

Yeah as said it is the same 'sort' of straight-line pace. i.e. in a similar band. Which one did you have? The original or newer one? I have the original and I am telling you that it is so don't bother arguing :lol: ...plus its book figures are not far off too.