Jay

Reaction score
To throw in a curve ball, I sold my 197 to get my wife a Meggy 225 so I could keep the Trophy. best Choice as we have two great motors for different occasions.

Reaction score
sold my trophy last month and bought an r26, do love it, went from a leon cupra r to the trophy, the r was a bit soft but well built and had torque!!! missed these when had the trophy but loved the feel, the r26 is the best of both, never driven a car that is so easy to just jump in and get to work and comes alive when pushed, love it, have to say. as for the 330, driven a few, nearly bought one few years ago, great car, rwd is always gonna be better, but very boring after a trophy, ask cue on here about the bm he ran one for a while!!

Reaction score
Thanks Marrow! :p
I've owned and sold two Trophies, once out of necessity and once out of choice.
The easiest way to not regret it, is to not compromise on your next choice and get another excellent car. I hear you have to compromise when you're married (a key reason to not get married :wink: ) so maybe easier said that done.

Reaction score
I had a BMW (E46) 325i Sport for the best part of 3 trouble free years before the Trophy. I had to get rid of it out of necessity, needed something smaller, otherwise I'd still have it. RWD is so much better that FWD IMO and you can definitely feel it's way better engineered that anything Renault has produced. Though it was only a 2.5ltr the engine was silky smooth and rev happy. Though the BMW offers a more mature and refined experience the Clio is a little whipper snapper of a car and offers more fun by the bucket load. Still I'd go back to a BMW and RWD handling in a shot if I could.

Reaction score
Got an R26 a couple of months back and the Wife is running the Trophy.

The R26 is smoother & more comfortable by a massive amount and only a little less fun than the Trophy.

When I get back in the Trophy the thing I notice most is how poor the ride is.

The R26 I have is a Lux and the leather really lifts it. I would put it in the same league as the 328 Sport I had a few years back for build.

Reaction score
Another plus side is if you like your cars to be 'Mint' its alot easier to get a clean 1 year old R26 with 10k on it than a 5 - 7 year old E46 with 50k plus.

Reaction score
Johnny's Law is only ever replace things with things that are in some way better.

I'm about to get a Focus RS instead; sure it will be quicker, but I'll probably miss the Trophy's narrow, twisty road supremacy. The Trophy is one of those rare cars that is a privilege to own, so it's harder to replace than most.

But so as long as you replace it with something that is better in some respects, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
reading the comments this morning, im guessing the general consensus is that possibly the 328 or 330 may not be on par with the little tomato?

R26...... possibly?

Another plus side is if you like your cars to be 'Mint' its alot easier to get a clean 1 year old R26 with 10k on it than a 5 - 7 year old E46 with 50k plus.

that is a massive consideration. I mean i dont want a car with silly miles but then i dont want to buy a beemer with a silly price on as well just due to the miles.

Hows the depreciation on the R26?

We looking on par with a beemer?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Vish356 said:
Hows the depreciation on the R26?

We looking on par with a beemer?

R26 may be an good bit of kit but it's still a renault remember.

Reaction score
I wouldn't discount BMWs just because they have 50k and may be little older. These cars are way better built and can easily do big mileage and still look mint. If I had £15k to spend on either a 1 year old R26 with 15k miles or a 3 year old 330i Sport with 40-50k miles, I'd take the BMW any day of the week like this these for example:
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=05

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=06

But thats just me. Find me any French car that still looks as fresh as these with that mileage an age. Don't get me wrong, the R26 is a fantastic car but totally different from a BMW. Best thing to do is go and take a test drive before making a decision.

Reaction score
I say I wouldnt regrett it, but I really miss my Trophy :(

It's been nearly two months, I am thinking about buying one on the side for some fun!

Reaction score
SirSimon said:
I say I wouldnt regrett it, but I really miss my Trophy :(

It's been nearly two months, I am thinking about buying one on the side for some fun!

Are you not getting on well with the z4 then or just a bit civilised?

Reaction score
for fun my old 106 gti has the trophy licked. Wouldnt see which way the tomato went though.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my 2 pence on this, having owned e36's and e46's is if you want something more civilised yet is more fun and quicker then a e36 M3 evo would be my choice.

The E46 330ci i had felt similar in comparison to the E36 Evo that the Trophy feels in comparison to the 197. The 330 Ci was quick but the Trophy would win any battle you care to throw at it. But the M3 would show the T a clean pair of heals on anything other than a wet road, when they are a handful.

Personally I'd go with a 99 M3 Evo, say for £7k and save £5k on the cost of an R26 - plus it's more refined, quicker and won't loose any more value, where as the meggy will.

Reaction score
I'm having as much if not more fun with the Cup.
Also it's never been back to the garage for any warranty work or problems, after 3K & 3 trackdays :D
The T was a regular for niggles & major probs, ie new box at 5K #-o
+ it's a lot nicer place to be :D

Reaction score
Dont think i could spend £7k on a 10 year old car, agreed its a great car but its a lot for a car that old. Much rather have something thats only 2 year old. I came close to buying a 197 cup in white. think they look awesome, but just preferred the torque of the megane, but thats just me being too lazy to rag the nuts off the clio ha.