Sam

Reaction score
It's relatively difficult to explain..

But, i reffered to the 'buckle' as the female part (as in your terms, the socket). The seat belts (including the male application, the plug) are still attached to the vehicle.

There are harnesses that utilise a car style 'plug/socket' application. These you must understand are not FIA approved, and do not plug into the existing vehicle 'socket'.

In terms of fashioning a harness that quote "used the seat belt plugs" what difference would that have over a standard seat belt???

Have a mooch on the Demon Tweeks web site for different harness styles (under the motorsport section)...

Reaction score
Take the example of a right hand drive car, you could use a 4 strap harness (shoulder and lap straps) with the left hand lap-strap connecting to the existing driver's seat belt 'socket', and the right hand lap strap would clip to the seat belt fixing down to the right hand side of the drivers seat.

The shoulder straps would in the instance of a Trophy, feed through the harness guides, and join to a single length of webbing which connected to one of the rear seat belt 'sockets'.

This way you would have an easy to remove harness which exploited the full strenght of the existing seatbelt fixings!?!?!

Reaction score
chiefsilverback said:
Take the example of a right hand drive car, you could use a 4 strap harness (shoulder and lap straps) with the left hand lap-strap connecting to the existing driver's seat belt 'socket', and the right hand lap strap would clip to the seat belt fixing down to the right hand side of the drivers seat.

The shoulder straps would in the instance of a Trophy, feed through the harness guides, and join to a single length of webbing which connected to one of the rear seat belt 'sockets'.

This way you would have an easy to remove harness which exploited the full strenght of the existing seatbelt fixings!?!?!

Agreed. GaryG has his harnesses fixed in this way on his 182, should have taken some pictures at the trackday on Saturday, maybe Gary can post some pictures himself?

Reaction score
OliS said:
chiefsilverback said:

Agreed. GaryG has his harnesses fixed in this way on his 182, should have taken some pictures at the trackday on Saturday, maybe Gary can post some pictures himself?

Were they purchased or home made?

It would be quite simple to make one of these, just the cost of a few metres of 2"/3" seat belt webbing and the appropriate buckles/'plugs', then take it somewhere professional to get the stitching done.....

Reaction score
Mine are sparco 3 points. I fixed the inner lap mount to the cobra subframe and the outer mount to the original seat belt rail point. The rear goes to the seat belt point (stripped out) or where the luggage bar went, cant remember now....think it was the one most in line with the seat. I doubt this is FIA approved as i am using the stock bolts and points but i feel it is perfectly acceptable and most importantly safe.

Reaction score
But I'm talking about using the actual seat belt connecters, unit you physically plug the seat belt into, not removing the existing mountings and bolting new things in!!

If they are strong enough for seat belt use, they must be strong enough for a harness....

Reaction score
#-o Sorry chief misunderstood your post!

Don't know of any that exist that would clip into the original seat belt buckles, and I agree with you that if they are strong enough for seatbelts, then they should be strong enough for a harness, however...

Surely the easiest solution would be to remove the front seatbelts, use the existing holes for the lap straps and then remove the rear seatbelt buckles and use those holes for the shoulder straps :?:

Sam

Reaction score
hyb said:
Just annoying to use Harnesses as a day to day solution with something like that

Sooooo true.. I think I used them on the road for about 2 days, I soon realised this, as I went for my phone which is kept on the top of the centre console... only to find that I could just about mange the radio... :oops:

As to using the existing seat belt lug's (bottom of the b pillar, and near handbrake) for the lap belts of a harness, you'd have to get some eye bolts manufactured as the standard 7/16 ones are to large.. (not for the rear tho)..

hyb

Reaction score
Lol, McDonalds drive through would be a bit of a farce..

"er....could just just throw me the food plz?"

Reaction score
A friend of mine has 4 point harnesses in his Exige and one trip through the Dartford tunnel he pulled up, opened his window and held at the money as far as he could, but the grumpy sod in the booth wouldn't move.

My friend pointed out that he couldn't reach any further without un-buckling and the guy in the booth just didn't budge.

My friend then had to un-buckle etc... so he deliberately sat there clipped himself back in, tightened the straps and then floored it in first and just lit up the back wheels deafening the cnut (attendant) and filling his booth with tyre smoke!

Sam

Reaction score
Excellent!!

Jealous idiot know doubt, that'll teach him for working in a toll booth..

(no offence attended towards 'toll booth' attendants, they do a stern job!!!) :wink:

Reaction score
Belts

My suugestion would be go and find anyone that has a rally car, due to the MSA we have all had to change our belts because they did not have the latest FIA label on them, :evil: so there are hundreds of sets of belts sat unused and would be available for free :D

I just gave ours to someone that does autocrossing as they can still use them :shock:

Carl

Reaction score
Welcome Mr T! :)

I was thinking to go the FIA route incase I end up getting a MSA licence in the future...

However I will have a look and see what I can find. Perhaps eBay is the best route or are there any forums where various people are selling the belts?

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Hyb - they would be a good solution wouldn't they? They really are perfect...

I am gathering they won't fit due to the locking mechanism shape/size which are vehicle brand specific... it's a shame!

O.