Reaction score
I would like to buy a couple of harnesses in preperation for the Trackday on the 4th...

Being new to this, I was going to go fo rthis Sparco FIA approved set: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... =S/H4704VB

Sorry to ask silly questions but...

1) Is Sparco a good brand or is there better (OMP etc.). This thing may save my life so I don't want some 'all show no go' harness!

2) What else will I need to install the harness in the car?

3) I guess I should get this done by someone who can make sure it's done legally and safetly or is this a simple DIY job?

4) Will it be illegal?

Sorry to ask such basic questions but I really am not too sure....

P.S. I may use the harness day-to-day to save the hassle of removing/installing it for various weekends.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
NOTE: DON'T TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN ARGUEMENT OR ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO A WILLIAMS THREAD PLEASE!!!!

:) :)

O.

hyb

Reaction score
good thread, i want to know too. i know a few people on here have gone for saebelt at £100 a pop

Reaction score
I can't see from Sam's car where the harness is fitted to. Any ideas ?
I thought of getting this done before going to the Ring last Autumn.
In the end, I just settled, for the moment, for a CG-lock, available through Goldtrack trackdays at www.goldtrack.co.uk, or through CG-lock, though their website wasn't working when I got it.
It really holds your hips in place, you won't move even if the car is upsidedown, it costs £45- £50 and you fit it yourself in 5 minutes. The guy at CG-lock is very helpful and will get it to you next day.
It is NOT as good as a full harness, but it really does let you use the steering wheel just for steering, not for something to hold on to. You can remove it as well, I just take off the "brake" slide when I'm not using it.
If you're an occasional trackday driver, it may be an alternative.

Reaction score
ChrisB said:
I can't see from Sam's car where the harness is fitted to. Any ideas ?
I thought of getting this done before going to the Ring last Autumn.
In the end, I just settled, for the moment, for a CG-lock, available through Goldtrack trackdays at www.goldtrack.co.uk, or through CG-lock, though their website wasn't working when I got it.
It really holds your hips in place, you won't move even if the car is upsidedown, it costs £45- £50 and you fit it yourself in 5 minutes. The guy at CG-lock is very helpful and will get it to you next day.
It is NOT as good as a full harness, but it really does let you use the steering wheel just for steering, not for something to hold on to. You can remove it as well, I just take off the "brake" slide when I'm not using it.
If you're an occasional trackday driver, it may be an alternative.

CG-Lock.gif

I highly rate the CG-lock for both road & track!

7MAT

Reaction score
If you need help fitting then feel free to call me 07769712624 (i'll do it for you free of charge if your near Birmingham or Oxford)

Reaction score
I have heard some really good reviews about these but never really thought about it.

I am still thinking about getting some harnesses for the car, there are two different fixings available, the first is a bolt eye, which you would need to undo the bolts which the belts fit to at the moment and then re fit them when the bolt eye is in place. This type of harness is a permantly fixed item, not great if you carry passangers on regular occasions.

The second type have a snap type fixing, you will need to put Eye Hooks into the car ie where the rear belt is fixed and eaither side of the seats. this is not to bad but you may have to get something fabricated to fix them securly. Once the Eye hooks have been placed correctly the snap fixing clips straight over them to securly hold the harness.

Certain types IE. Sparco have a quick release just behind the shoulder straps so if passangers do get in and out they dont get strangled in the process.

on the Clio if you look under the rear bench seat there are plenty of places where you can conect the harnesses to its just a matter of having a play.

Reaction score
hyb said:
how does that install?
It's not simple, but the instructions are clear. You basically clip and screw it onto the existing "tongue" on the seatbelt. It takes about 5 minutes, but I did need to follow the instructions.

Reaction score
Fred said:
If you need help fitting then feel free to call me 07769712624 (i'll do it for you free of charge if your near Birmingham or Oxford)

That's very kind of you Fred; thanks. I will have to acquire it first though!

I may go to Deamon Tweeks in person as I understand they have installation services too.. but I fear it won't be in time for the upcoming track day next weekend :(

I will see if I can find a set in London...

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
easiest to install are the sabelt clubman 3 point harnesses

Reaction score
waste of money imo. The stock stuff is more than up to the job. Thats why is has 4 stars. Your driving a modern hot hatch not a rusty old williams ....OOOPS!

Reaction score
But I don't really think of the harness as crash protection, more as a driving aid. You feel what's happening more, and you don't use the wheel for anything except steering.

Reaction score
iain_c said:
waste of money imo. The stock stuff is more than up to the job. Thats why is has 4 stars. Your driving a modern hot hatch not a rusty old williams ....OOOPS!

You wouldn't think so after a few track days... it helps keep you in place so that your body does not move around in the chair when cornering = better steering control (plus a little element of safety...)

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Ive done a few track days and while i agree they do keep you in place and make you feel more a part of the car your nice seats will help any way. (have you been round a track in 172 cup seats? They are rubbish!)
If you looking at crash protection i think they are a step down. The clio's own crash system is more progressive thus putting less stress on your ribcage/sholders etc.
Just my 2p tho Its your cash after all.
TA iain

Reaction score
well if you like the idea of headbutting an explosive then go for it, harnesses saved Roamers life (Sabelt 3 point clubmans, nothing fancy)

he says if he'd had a normal belt on he'd be dead
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
note the blood on the roof, that where is head was
IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg

Reaction score
When i saw those photos for the first time, i was apparant that without the harnesses the accident could of been alot worse. At the end of the day a couple of broken thumbs badly sprained wrists and a nasty bump on the head was the outcome.

If that is not enough of a reason to get harnesses i dont know what is.

Reaction score
Nice to see the solid build of the Clios there.... How did this accident squash the roof and A pillars?