Reaction score
Evo 87 dropped through the letter box this morning; this could be an interesting read I mused...

Very good read it is too; some criticism of for example interior quality and the relationship of second and third gear, which didn't strike me as overly critical, but also 'one or two' ;-) good comments for example:

"OK it's a bit plasticky inside, but they've put the effort into the stuff that really matters. Which say it all really the Clio Trophy is our peoples champion of 2005"

"To drive the Trophy on roads like this is to be grafted into the action, to be come part of the machine"

"The Clio is unbelievable. What is say is not only do you not have to be rich to have fun, but you don't have to be rich to go very fast either.... Just go and drive a Trophy. That is where the benchmark is" [for hot hatches].

Came third compared to various exotica aswell (Ford GT, F430 etc) so not a bad showing for our humble very cheap little French car I thought.

Also see picture on page 112 - sun catching the rear spoiler "just so" :)

Reaction score
This months Evo mag? I guess it will be out in a few days, as you subscribe i'm guessing you get it a few days early.
I think i will have to ask santa for a subscription to the mag.

Lee

Reaction score
As I posted on CS, I don't think a hot hatch has ever punched this far above it's weight before.

It's going to be a legend amongst hot hatches, and I reckon will be the last great hot hatch what with all cars getting heavier and larger. Unless of course Renault do it again,which is always possible.

Day

Reaction score
Good enough to be in the top 3 though.

01. Ford GT40
02. Ferrari F430
03. Renault Clio Trophy
04. Lambo Gallardo SE
05. BMW M3 CS
06. Porsche Cayman S
07. Aston Martin V8 Vantage
08. BMW M6
09. Mercedes SLK55 AMG
10. TVR Sagaris

Not bad for a "shitbox shopping trolly" :roll:

Reaction score
yeah well done clio. making a good name for itself the pesky scamp 8)

photo on page 79, the gold looks almost MPV like next to the Clio.
:lol:
dan

Lee

Reaction score
I've just started reading the article. I see they use the Route Napoleon. I drove that a couple of months ago in mine. Truly amazing roads.

Lee

Reaction score
Jesus, talk about a quote and a half.

"What I'd say to anyone out there is, forget everything you've read about the 205 GTi and the mk2 Golf and the Clio Williams. Just go and drive a Trophy. That's where the benchmark is".

The whole article is excellent, really brings back those memories of hooning around those very roads.

Attachments

• SoF_065.jpg
    SoF_065.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,790

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cool piccy 8)

It's nice to see 3 different colored clios together rather than a row of blue ones too :p I must head out that way next year some time.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lee said:
"What I'd say to anyone out there is, forget everything you've read about the 205 GTi and the mk2 Golf and the Clio Williams. Just go and drive a Trophy. That's where the benchmark is".

Excellent quote. :D

Reaction score
Yes I was glued to the article all weekend, Renault really have pulled out all the stops with the Trophy! To beat some of the exotic machinery (Lamborghini Gallardo SE included) really is a remarkable achievement! As an obsessive Clio Williams owner I know what it's like to drive a classic Renault, but hate to admit that I feel it has finally been eclipsed by the Trophy! May have to have one on my shopping list in a few years time.... :wink:

PS if anyone lives near the Chester area and fancys meeting up and taking me for a spin let me know, would love to see how one drives for real!

Reaction score
Hmm don't know Stromba, maybe with the LSD it would have the edge over a Trophy. Would love a blast in one and see what all the fuss is about!!

Reaction score
Trouble is non of the Trophy boys will go on a meet with a Williams. Ive asked before. Maybe they dont want to understand the reality of the Williams being 10 years old yet able to keep upo with their uber hatches.

I was glued to the back of Rory in Scotland in his 182 on some of the best drivers roads youll find anywhere, i dont expect any difference from the Trophy.

Reaction score
Quality Stromba, you do keep trying, where did the LSD come from or are you on it. :shock:

Reaction score
Open invitation to anyone with an uber hatch.

My car is as fresh as youll find. Only 3k on the new engine. Would be a fair comparrison, rather than these old battered williams' that people see and think they are all like that.

Lee

Reaction score
Maybe you could attend one of the RenaultSport track days next year Rob? Always a great day. And you should be able to take a Trophy out on track too.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've never seen a Williams on a Renaultsport day.

Would be good to see more Mk1s attend these, not sure why they don't really.

See you at Brands next year Rob :D