Reaction score
Trophy No.
:twisted:

After having my trophy for only a week i feel a letter of complaint coming on!! not to the dealership but to renault themselves

Another member off here told me of a few things to check on the car before i paid for it, well the front splitter was missin so had to rebook it in to have that fitted, then when i picked the car up it only had 1/2 a tank of petrol and they made me feel gratefull for that!!

then first night in dark lights didnt come on thought "this is strange they came on on their own not to worry musnt of put it on " thats what i thought anyway then realised doesnt have auto lights wtf??! 15k car and no auto lights.!!

then read thread on here about no variable wipe speed again 15k car and its not there when the £6999 new clio had it on!

and today just to top it off open engine for a bit of man and machine time and whats this no engine cover??! well yippedy effin do it gets better "they arent standard on the trophy" the dealership tells me.

has anyone else complained to Renault about this corner cutting??

mat

Lee

Reaction score
I think you should pay more attention to what you spend £15k on to be honest mate. I'd be dam sure I knew what I was getting before spending my money on a car.

If you wanted a car with all the bells and whistles you should have got a a normal 182.

The Trophy is based on the 182 Cup, so it has no engine cover, no auto lights, no climate control, no auto wipers and cheaper headlining.

Cost cutting is one thing they didn't do on the Trophy, what they did do was take an already amazing hot hatch and then spend a lot of money on the suspension and setup, which gives you the amazing hot hatch we have.

The only thing I miss on my Trophy over my previous 2 is a decent intermittent wipe, but that's hardly a deal breaker when the car is THIS good.

Lee

Reaction score
here here, in agreement there, i like it as well for how Basic it is, i mean, the heating controls - genius, on, off, heat temp choice, ac button, Simple!

Reaction score
I'm afraid I agree with Lee tbh

As for the petrol, that's something you should negotiate on every new car isn't it? I wouldn't expect any fuel unless it had been agreed.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was specifically told when i ordered my car that it came with no fuel. The dealer then sold me a 'delivery pack' :roll: . You'd think they'd just give you a tank of fuel in the on the road price to be honest.

I agree with Lee, the only thing i really miss is a bit more control of the wipers. I cant understand why renault chose not to fit the wiper stalk with variable speed adjustment dial.

Lee

Reaction score
Mine went and put a fivers worth in so I could at least get it to the Shell station lol

hyb

Reaction score
Its been aimed at the purist owner really, saving on weight where possible, no engine cover, no xenons, no climate control etc. The wiper is a bit of a pain in the bum, but a few quid for the variable wiper solves that problem. You buy the trophy for the way it goes and handles, not the luxuries

Reaction score
Got a full tank of Optimax in ours. I trust that he did it as well :D

But that's cos it was part of the deal

Reaction score
mattykimbo said:

After having my trophy for only a week i feel a letter of complaint coming on!! not to the dealership but to renault themselves

Another member off here told me of a few things to check on the car before i paid for it, well the front splitter was missin so had to rebook it in to have that fitted, then when i picked the car up it only had 1/2 a tank of petrol and they made me feel gratefull for that!!

then first night in dark lights didnt come on thought "this is strange they came on on their own not to worry musnt of put it on " thats what i thought anyway then realised doesnt have auto lights wtf??! 15k car and no auto lights.!!

then read thread on here about no variable wipe speed again 15k car and its not there when the £6999 new clio had it on!

and today just to top it off open engine for a bit of man and machine time and whats this no engine cover??! well yippedy effin do it gets better "they arent standard on the trophy" the dealership tells me.

mat

I agree with you mate. It is cost cutting that is 'cleverly' described as weight saving for performance. And people fall for it. How much does an engine bay cover weigh? Hmm that will really help you go faster.

Personally i wouldnt buy a modern Renault because its clear thet Renault are insulting the intelligence of their customers.

If this lack of equipment is really about weight, why no fancy head lights? They dont weigh more....ah...but wait, they cost more, so less profit to Renault. So bog standard pants lights on the 'flagship' 2.0 litre clio.

'Yeah but i bought the clio to have fun, dont care about equipment ...yada yada yada'

I would expect an engine cover, xenons and variable speed wipers on a 16k car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i agree with stromba on the weight issue - bit of thin excuse really. that said its still a damn good car and worth every penny IMHO.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
To be honest i have always thought that some of the things removed from the cup spec cars was a bit odd. Its things which are essentially just a bit of software like the auto lights and wipers that i think should just be standard. That sensor on the back of the interior mirror cant weigh much surely....

Having said that the cup was a cheaper car (particularly the 172 cup) so its not unreasonable to think of them as cost cutting measures.

LOL at 16k car Stromba. You had a good argument, no need to inflate the price to make your point :lol: . I think i get unbeatable value for money for a £13k car :wink:

Lee

Reaction score
I certainly didn't think about the weight difference. If you think about it it's not going to be any lighter. What you lose in lights, seats and wheels, you gain in the dampers, they aren't light unfortunately.

Xenons aren't heavy, but the power packs are.

No engine cover is a cost measure, but who cares, I removed mine on the 182 to stop it vibrating.

Stop and think sensibly about this though guys.

The Trophy is £15,500 and the 182 Cup on which it's based is £13,800 a difference of £1,700 for the wheels, seats, spoiler and dampers.

If they had used a Full 182 at £14,800 that would have made the Trophy £16,500. That's a hell of a lot for a small French hot hatch and would put a lot of people off, and look bad too.

Those are the RRP prices.

Whatever the real reasons for basing it on the 182 Cup were, it doesn't take away the fact that it's going to be the last and the greatest hot hatch in motoring history.

Reaction score
I just can't believe that anyone would go out and buy a new car without doing there homework first!

The RRP may of been £15,500 but as with all new Renaults there are deals do be done.

Your letter of complaint will be a waste of time.

7MAT

Day

Reaction score
There was someone on another site who ordered a Trophy then when I jokingly asked if he was going to change the suspension he asked what was best to go for...

:lol:

Matty

You can have my engine cover... £60.00

hyb

Reaction score
I've never got auto lights, if you can't tell if its dark enough to stick them on, you shouldn't be driving in the first place

Reaction score
mattykimbo said:

mat

Matt - welcome to the board.

I'm not too sure whether to laugh or cry at your post.

Perhaps you should also include in your letter of complaint:

1) Renault seem to have accidentally put on incredible (read: expensive) shocks and springs - better ask them to take them off!
2) Renault seem to have put on expensive, and light (compare to standard Clio) rims - better get these removed too!
3) Renault seem to have put in expensive (compared to stock) seats and rails - get them to remove these too!

You complain that a much cheaper Clio has various other features as standard (e.g. automatic lights). If you value these so much and feel the need to complain, why didn't you just go ahead and buy a Clio that had these features?

All of the features you want so badly and feel you must complain about cost money. Assuming Renault need to make a certain margin to justify the limited production of the car, would you rather they replace all of the above (number 1-3) with the features you want?

A seemingly simple wiper stalk with intermittent function is more expensive than one without – it has more moving parts and an extra piece of plastic. Tough, that’s manufacturing for you. Ok, it’s only a matter of a few Pounds I hear you say. But where do you stop? How do you squeeze what you can to get the margin back after fitting a suspension system that’s almost ten times more expensive than a standard units?

I'll take race engineered Sach dampers over auto sensing headlights any day, thanks.

If you're not happy because you don't have an engine cover (why on earth you find this an issue is beyond me) then perhaps the philosophy behind the Trophy is not for you (sorry).

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
If this lack of equipment is really about weight, why no fancy head lights? They dont weigh more....ah...but wait, they cost more, so less profit to Renault. So bog standard pants lights on the 'flagship' 2.0 litre clio.

You guys are on cloud 9!

Again King, have you considered what the Trophy has over a Full Fat 182 (that has Xenons)?

I doubt the margin on the Trophy is much different to a "bog standard pants lights on the 'flagship' 2.0 litre clio" - the costs are absorbed by better wheels, seats and suspension.

Fitting Xenon's on the Trophy would probably result in a lower margin on the car compared to a 2.0 Clio.

If you want all these features just buy the Full Fat 182 and stop complaining!

O.

Reaction score
The more extra bits like xenons and auto lights, wipers, washers etc, are more bits to go wrong.
Its not hard to turn a switch on for the lights and xenon headlights are great, but if the bulb goes :oops: , exprnsive isn't it for a new unit.
Love the Trophy for what it is, and not what you wish it was.