Reaction score
My mate just bought an ITR, never going to hear the end of this! :roll:

Great result for the Trophy though, I guess we can now clasify it as the best front wheel drive hot hatch ever - the ITR is a coupe after all! :p

Did they time the cars around Bedford? If so I hope the Trophy improved on it's previous time.

My issue had better arrive tomorrow [-o<

Reaction score
OliS said:
My mate just bought an ITR, never going to hear the end of this! :roll:

Great result for the Trophy though, I guess we can now clasify it as the best front wheel drive hot hatch ever - the ITR is a coupe after all! :p

Did they time the cars around Bedford? If so I hope the Trophy improved on it's previous time.

My issue had better arrive tomorrow [-o<

Very true about the hot hatch bit, and being that the williams won performance car of the decade (outright) what does this say about the Trophy? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Make sure that the ITR he's got is the old one, the new one is even faster but a real dog to drive, massive torque steer and completely uncompromised, apparently you can powerslide the thing! If I was after a coupe, I might consider the old ITR but to be honest, I think FWD belongs on a hot hatch, if you're going up in size and weight, you may as well have RWD.

The most intersting picture for me is in the fast fleet section at the back, look what's parked next to Harry's new Pagani Zonda in his garage! If you haven't got your copy yet (it's in Tesco already by the way) I'll give you a clue, it's red.

Reaction score
He's got the old one, a DC2. Paid alot of money for a low miles S reg one, but it's looking like money well spent. Since he's had the car, we keep on talking about going out for a country drive, will have to sort this out soon and see what the result is with two mere mortals behind the wheels.

Would have loved an ITR myself, but I wanted something with a warranty and the opportunity of owning a car from new, to know it's complete history from the day it was driven off the forecourt. The Trophy is also somewhat of a bargain, I paid less for my Trophy than the Williams sold for back in '93.

Reaction score
OliS - Trophy times at Bedford remain unchanged.

Enjoy the article :)

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
OliS - Trophy times at Bedford remain unchanged.

Enjoy the article :)

O.

Unlikely to ever re-test it now either. :cry: I was hoping they would compare the cars on track as well as for driving thrills. To be honest though, the outcome would have been quite similar except with the Focus RS out in front.

If enough of us PM Hazza, he might buckle under the strain and whizz his Trophy round Bedford next time they're doing a test there. :lol:

Reaction score
Cue said:
bloody 'ell, why does my copy never arive until a week after it's out in the shops???? Still not got it :(

This months issue came with another apology about last months being late, something about sending to the printers 3 seconds too late which meant they couldn't send them out for another 9 years.

Buy a copy from Tesco, wear it out reading it, pull the article out to make good pictures/for scanning in, then leave your subscription issue in it's grey wallet so it will be worth £20 in a few years time. :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
got it, read it, hmmmmn.........

good write up that's all I'll say on the matter. Can't remember if it was Meaden or Metcalfe that put their name to it but *&£*£*££* "£%^$.

Reaction score
Having owned both an ITR and now the Trophy I can understand why the ITR might win. The Trophy may be more chic, but my memory is the ITR had a stronger engine, better gearchange, and slightly more stability on very high speed corners.

I think it's a shame that they didn't list the car weight as a matter of course in their stats. Confused that the Mini GP was, apparently, the same weight as the Trophy but couldn't find a reference to what the weight actually was.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
peter_964rs said:
Having owned both an ITR and now the Trophy I can understand why the ITR might win. The Trophy may be more chic, but my memory is the ITR had a stronger engine, better gearchange, and slightly more stability on very high speed corners.

I think it's a shame that they didn't list the car weight as a matter of course in their stats. Confused that the Mini GP was, apparently, the same weight as the Trophy but couldn't find a reference to what the weight actually was.

yeh, i was wondering why they didnt put the weight down or the power to weight ratio

Reaction score
Cue said:
peter_964rs said:

yeh, i was wondering why they didnt put the weight down or the power to weight ratio

It's all in the back guys, GP - 218bhp, 1090kg, 203bhp/ton. 0-60: 6.5 secs????!!!!

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
Cue said:
peter_964rs said:

It's all in the back guys, GP - 218bhp, 1090kg, 203bhp/ton. 0-60: 6.5 secs????!!!!

But twice the price ;)

Reaction score
mindgam3 said:
But twice the price ;)

and not twice the performance, if with a power to weight better than a DB7 or an original M5! :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
peter_964rs said:
Yeah - overprioced and overstyled. And German (bah, humbug).

lol normally agree but the german's are better engineers than the french. I'll shuttup right about now and get my coat. #-o

Reaction score
peter_964rs said:
Hmm... BMW Williams versus Renault anyone?

The vast majority of Renault F1 and Williams engineers are British :p

I would say German engineers are definately better than the french overall. The trophy is far better value for money though ;)

Reaction score
peter_964rs said:
mindgam3 said:
The vast majority of Renault F1 and Williams engineers are British :p

The vast majority of all engineers on all F1 teams are British! Except Super Aguri I think.

mindgam3 said:
I would say German engineers are definately better than the french overall

Counter-example below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4091813.stm

British designer (Norman Foster), Italian Engineers.

The French do have good engineers, as do all countries, Germay have a lot of good engineers and Germans have the right sort of personality to embrace quality control and technical achievement (i.e. no sense of humour.)