Reaction score
Fantastic stuff.

Can't wait to read this... I just hope they have changed their now scortched pads in their Trophy because if Stromba has participated you can be sure he has the car 'as new'.

The Trophy EVO has has certainly taken a beating (tyres, pads, discs etc.) as evidenced in the lap times posted in the back of the magazine (slower than the cup) and the recent review where they felt it had lost its edge. Also the Golf GTI and Ford ST will prove tough challengers (despite being som much more expensive - if featured).

Nonetheless... will be a good read. Would love the winner of the front wheel drive set to be put against a similar RWD car (e.g. 130i) to prove once and for all that a great FWD car is as good if not better than a good RWD car!

O.

Reaction score
Good little write up by that guy on Cliosport, but I would say that as he only said good things about the Trophy!

Pretty sure it is Stromba's Williams as further down the post the guy says it was number 2 (Stromba has 0002 and 0200).

Let battle commence, hope the Trophy comes out on top as the definitive fwd car.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
def the trophy has it, corrado's & elan for different reasons may push it. Other than that the focus may do something but the torque steer is a major problem, because of that front suspension.

Reaction score
Er...what's going on with this thread guys? Did anyone see that post from king___stromba, he was banned immediately then the post was deleted? Is this Nik at his old tricks again or did we have the stromb back at last after being away too long.

Nik or Day, please let him back for at least a little while, I never had a chance to converse with the little lab techy prick before and I'd like to now, you only needed to suggest that his Williams had a bit of rust on it for him to abandon all sense of his independent variables...

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
Er...what's going on with this thread guys? Did anyone see that post from king___stromba, he was banned immediately then the post was deleted? Is this Nik at his old tricks again or did we have the stromb back at last after being away too long.

Nik or Day, please let him back for at least a little while, I never had a chance to converse with the little lab techy ***** before and I'd like to now, you only needed to suggest that his Williams had a bit of rust on it for him to abandon all sense of his independent variables...

It's more hassle than it is worth... trust me. That guy has to really get off his high horse before he can establish any credibility again. The forum went ot shambles with the onus on everyone fighting against him rather than talking about the Trophy.

Did you read what was in his post?

O.

Day

Reaction score
I deleted his post and Nik banned him on sight lol.

Seriously, ignore him, he's not worth the effort like OliS has said.

This forum has progressed so much more without his ego stroking remarks and slanderous comments.

The guy has issues.

:roll:

Reaction score
"please let him back for at least a little while, I never had a chance to converse with the little lab techy ***** before and I'd like to now"

He was like a bad smell that wouldn't go away. He did have some very valid points, but the bulls**t he sprouted far outweighed the good.

And every post turned into my williams is better than your trophy arguements.

Reaction score
i'm guessing it was also stromba that re-appeared briefly on cliosport as a different user name (David Jones) and started a few arguments over there before being banned? May be wrong but it has his way of writing, i.e. provocative!

Reaction score
Having owned four of the cars on the list I'm looking forward to reading this feature. I just hope I don't have to wait a week after its in the shops again for my copy to turn up in the post!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
T23PHY said:
i'm guessing it was also stromba that re-appeared briefly on cliosport as a different user name (David Jones) and started a few arguments over there before being banned? May be wrong but it has his way of writing, i.e. provocative!

Yep, that was him. It doesn't take much to spot him from his posting style. I got to ban him on both forums \:D/

Reaction score
7MAT said:
Having owned four of the cars on the list I'm looking forward to reading this feature. I just hope I don't have to wait a week after its in the shops again for my copy to turn up in the post!

Which four? And what is on the list? I hope the 205 GTI is on there, I've just sold mine to a really nice 21 year old married couple. I'm so pleased because they're going to keep it standard and not turn it into a max power monstrosity.

I'm really looking forward to this article.

Reaction score
TrophyK3V said:
Read that post... the guys a prize pratt

Who, Stromba? He cracks me up, what a great attempt at sneaking back in, all you need is a new e-mail address and you can sign up as a new user, for all we know he could be on here as 10 different users, only occasionally deciding to provoke people which instantly gives him away because he's so good at it.

I think the Trophy will win followed by the Williams then the Mini Works GP. To be honest every car on that list is good, I'd happily own all of them, If I had to own just one though, it would be the Trophy. After all, I could have had any of them and I chose the Trophy. (Except the GP, I couldn't justify spending £22K on a mini and wouldn't want to.)

Reaction score
Day said:
But what if the Williams wins?

His ego will explode probably...

Can you imagine!?!?!? Even in his absence his gloating will be felt everywhere! Still all we have to do is throw his own comments back at him about journalists opinions being ill-informed and non-scientific. In a way I want him to win, then what will he have to argue about? His life will rapidly become dull and aimless and he'll just strangle himself with his Thundercats pyjamas.

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
7MAT said:

Which four? And what is on the list? I hope the 205 GTI is on there, I've just sold mine to a really nice 21 year old married couple. I'm so pleased because they're going to keep it standard and not turn it into a max power monstrosity.

I'm really looking forward to this article.

1. pug 205 gti
2. pug 106 rallye
3. pug 306 rallye
4. ford puma
5. ford focus rs
6. fiat barachetta
7. VW mk1 golf
8. VW golf the new shape
9.VW vr6 corrado
10. Renault 197
11. Renault trophy
12. mini gp
13. renault clio williams (perfect example think it was number 2 of the series 2 run, only 19k)
14. Honda integra type R
15. Lotus Elan

I've owned a 205GTI, Williams Clio, Lotus Elan SE and of course the Trophy.

Reaction score
I've got the fear about how good the new Cooper GP could be, it got a great review in Evo this month and as it is so new it is a bit of an unknown competitior.

Can't wait for this article! :D

Reaction score
Can't believe you've left the original mini off the list. Just because it wasn't the quickest about doesn't mean its not great. Not a hot-hatch but it was bloody great fun owning one.

Reaction score
Owned a Puma, great drive but not that quick and awful standard brakes.

My Dad went on a press track day in the Mini Works GP, having just driven my Trophy, and he didn't seem that blown away by it in comparison.

My money is tentatively on the 205.