Reaction score
As usual it is horses for courses. Over the years, ignoring Minis from way back, I have owned a 1990 Astra GTE 16v (with a MBE throttle position based management system and extensive suspension mods), which over-lapped with a Corrado VR6 with Schrick cams and inlet plus AMD re-mapping, a couple of Prelude 2.2 V-Tecs(both in 1999 as company cars) with AWS and now the Trophy.

Memory tends to be a bit selective, but interestingly once modified the Astra was quicker than the Corrado, particularly at low rpm and was more predictable on the limit. The Corrado sounded superb and was more refined.

The first Prelude was an auto – with only four gears it was always falling off the cam. Fortunately the second was manual, with a higher change over point, but still possible to keep it on the boil. It was quick when using peak rpm, but otherwise quite gutless – really tiring to drive on a long journey. The turn-in and stability from the rear wheel steering was exceptional – quite surprised that they have discontinued it.

The Trophy is great fun and probably the best all round driver’s car. The chassis is very well sorted, although it does roll more than I expected. Probably the least comfortable in terms of ride, but not as noisy as I feared. The torque curve makes it very drivable, although I must admit that it is not as quick as I had hoped – speed trap times bear this out. Looks like an engine project over the winter.

The only other car that I would contemplate in this class would be the JDM Honda Integra R – 2.0 litre, 220 bhp and readily tunable. Comes with big brakes and LSD as standard.

Not my best car ever, which has to go to a Subaru Legacy B4, the JDM twin turbo version. Brilliantly sorted and refined, the only snag was that it was possible to fall into a flat spot when cornering at 4,000 rpm which was the change over point for the turbos. A bit too soft to be a track car, but every outing was a sheer delight – even found my wife doing over 100 mph down a motorway slip road in it!

Reaction score
It's such an awesome list of cars, I own two, well I did 4 hours ago anyway, and I was looking at getting a Williams and a VR6 before making the jump to the Trophy. In some ways I wish I had tried out more cars before the Trophy because I have a feeling it will be staying a while. :lol:

I'm a bit worried about this article because I would really like the Trophy to win. It would be a bit silly if it didn't because look at all the amazing, exotic machinery it beat in the Performance car of the year article, beaten only by a Ford GT and Ferrari F430 out of all the best drivers cars in the world. The Williams and VR6 will be hot competition because EVO love them, no negatives. EVO hate the original mini (personally I love them) so that would never be included. The GP is a threat but unlikely to beat the Trophy. There are some dark horses too and it would be just like EVO to vote for a surprise favourite, just like the F50 in the Ferrari article a while back. Strangely the only car I would be really gutted about beating the Trophy to the post is the 197. This is about as likely as the new MX5 winning the best RWD car of all time though.

Trophy will definitely be in the top three, mark my words. If it gets beaten by the 205 GTI, I'll be phoning the new keeper... :lol:

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
It's such an awesome list of cars, I own two, well I did 4 hours ago anyway, and I was looking at getting a Williams and a VR6 before making the jump to the Trophy. In some ways I wish I had tried out more cars before the Trophy because I have a feeling it will be staying a while. :lol:

I'm a bit worried about this article because I would really like the Trophy to win. It would be a bit silly if it didn't because look at all the amazing, exotic machinery it beat in the Performance car of the year article, beaten only by a Ford GT and Ferrari F430 out of all the best drivers cars in the world. The Williams and VR6 will be hot competition because EVO love them, no negatives. EVO hate the original mini (personally I love them) so that would never be included. The GP is a threat but unlikely to beat the Trophy. There are some dark horses too and it would be just like EVO to vote for a surprise favourite, just like the F50 in the Ferrari article a while back. Strangely the only car I would be really gutted about beating the Trophy to the post is the 197. This is about as likely as the new MX5 winning the best RWD car of all time though.

Trophy will definitely be in the top three, mark my words. If it gets beaten by the 205 GTI, I'll be phoning the new keeper... :lol:

steve, you have no need to phone the new keeper of your 205, although it did manage to do itself proud making the cut to the best six! If i didnt know better i'd say you'd had a sneak preview of the article reading your comments above! :wink:

Reaction score
i've PM'd ya, some people may want to read the article for themselves etc etc, it is however a bloody good read and the Trophy fares very well out of it. definitely the sort of article you can use to educate people further who don't know what a Trophy is! :D

Reaction score
Its a very Euro-centric list...which I guess is fair enough coming from a UK based outfit. But I woulda liked to have seen a Mk1 Honda CRX on there, but I guess we've all got pet cars that didn't make the list.

Reaction score
Its just a bit of fun in the end and something to read while at the airport or on the train. I always cringe when they try and apply the term 'best' to subjective lists, whether they be cars, music, movies etc...
Why can't they say 'Favorite on the week beginning July 10th 2006'' or something else. Evo are as fickle as the rest of us. They didn't like the Focus RS when it came out and then after a bit of revisionist history they think its great and blame their initial response on poor press cars.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Its just a bit of fun in the end and something to read while at the airport or on the train.

Resale value comes to mind... ;) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reaction score
Evo arrived this morning, (Saturday), but i dont want to spoil it as many of you may have not got your copies yet. Excellent read and made me very pleased to own the Trophy.

also looing at the knowledge section the Trophy is no longer the Evo teams Hot Hatch choice because you can't buy them new anymore. The Mini Cooper S works replaces the trophy in the hot hatch section however it didnt beat the trohy in cover story.....

Reaction score
Fantastic article, completely agree with the finishing order, which is arbitary, because I have only owned the 205 1.9 and Trophy. Very pleased that both were in the final five.

I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying (in my favourite magazines opinion at least) that I've just spent the week driving the best hot-hatch ever made around the best British roads in Wales. It was incredible and the Trophy was fantastic, pirating the words of Steve McQueen - Driving is life, everything else is just waiting.

Reaction score
Excellent article by EVO and have to agree totally with the final results. Makes you feel good to own the Trophy.

Reaction score
Got my issue today as well. I'm just glad it beat the Williams!!! ;)

Have not driven the Type R but don't doubt the result.

Shame to see Trophy has been taken off the 'best hot hatch' list at the back of the magazine but I guess only fair. Renault should have kept one 'for sale' on paper to keep it in the back of the mag (but refuse to sell it - maybe offer it at £40k?) 8) 8)

I'd love to see the what happens to the values of a Type R now that the magazine is out...

O.

Reaction score
TrophyBoy616 said:
what was the finishing order??????

1st Integra Type R
2nd Clio Trophy :twisted:
3rd Clio Williams
4th 205 GTI
5th Cooper S Works GP
6th Golf GTI Mk5