Reaction score
Nik said:
They are just as cheap, in fact if you go to GSF and ask for OEM replacement discs they will very likely give you Brembo HC's, as that is one of two brands of OEM replacement disc they stock. Or £59 for a pair from Yoz

GSF - who are they? or am i just not awake enough yet and being a bit dumb?!

Reaction score
Gareth said:
Nik said:
They are just as cheap, in fact if you go to GSF and ask for OEM replacement discs they will very likely give you Brembo HC's, as that is one of two brands of OEM replacement disc they stock. Or £59 for a pair from Yoz

GSF - who are they? or am i just not awake enough yet and being a bit dumb?!

German Swedish French Car Parts, they're brilliant, I used to shop around everywhere for stuff for my 205 and they were always the cheapest, It was great, I had their number in my phone and they were on my route home from work so as stuff dropped off on the drive home I would order it and pick it up. :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
one for future purchases me thinks - any idea if there's a CS discount form them? Should be one if there isn't.

Reaction score
I could have told you about them in April but didn't think anyone would be replacing parts on the Trophy so soon, really good customer service too, well, the one in Worthing was anyway. I got a complete new set of brakes from them including Brembo disks and Ferodo pads for about £100.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve Gunnis said:
I could have told you about them in April but didn't think anyone would be replacing parts on the Trophy so soon, really good customer service too, well, the one in Worthing was anyway. I got a complete new set of brakes from them including Brembo disks and Ferodo pads for about £100.
:shock:

Santa claws is gonna have some new brakes me thinks to stop his sled.

Reaction score
I've never been able to find the article again but I read a great piece written by a race team brake engineer who said that whacking on bigger brakes etc... doesn't really do a great deal.

It boiled down to the fact that the brakes don't actually do the stopping, that's the work of friction on the tyres and how it's the whole braking system from the pedal through the master cylinder etc... that has to be changed!

It was very interesting reading I need to access search through my old mail archives and see if I've got the link.....

When I had No.99 serviced Rentech fitted Greenstuff pads. I'm not sure if they are any better than OE but they look funky!! :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
from what i've learned on here i think:

1. Braided hoses increase pedal feel
2. Changing pads will limit brake fade, which the Trophy can suffer from on track
3. Disks - the oem's are as good as you'll ever need.
4. Better fluid will increase the boiling point and therefore lower the possibility of braking degredation when heavily used.

That about sums everything up. on which pads, lines, fluid etc then that's a different matter....

Reaction score
Everyone I know who's tried Greenstuffs says they're utter cack if you intend to do anything more than potter about - basically they fade early and fall apart. Apparently in continental Europe they are marketed completely differently to how they are in the UK, i.e. as cheap replacements for OE, not as performance pads.

Reaction score
Whilst on my Trophy hunt i've been quite surprised at the difference in brakes between the few cars i've driven. They have all been running standard set ups - one actually felt f**ked - loads of pedal travel then when it finally did bite it was pretty feeble. I used to own a 182 and the brakes on that were pretty decent, it gives me a good reference point when i'm looking at Trophy's.

As long as i get a car with a decent standard set up i think i'll leave them like that initially and then replace them with something better when they as and when they need replacing. I'll be coming back to this thread for future reference i reckon ;)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
exactly what i'm doing - for everyday driving the oem stuff is fine, even on track - the tyres were giving up the ghost before the brakes!

Reaction score
__CA__ said:
Everyone I know who's tried Greenstuffs says they're utter cack if you intend to do anything more than potter about - basically they fade early and fall apart. Apparently in continental Europe they are marketed completely differently to how they are in the UK, i.e. as cheap replacements for OE, not as performance pads.

Mike at Rentech recommends them!?!?!?

Reaction score
Don't the PF97's work by coating the disk (it's what I was told by Mark Fish)? If that's the case then won't you need to swap disks and pads for a trackday?

Reaction score
Performance pads take braking to a whole new level to standard pads on track. Until you have experienced it you wouldn't realise in my opinion. As for the road, it depends what your daily drive is like. My standard pads were fine until I moved. Now I have lots of fast roads and roundabouts. The brakes won't take continued stops from high speed! Much like the track really.

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
if it aint broke dont ' fix it.

Well, as 7MAT pointed out earlier I they are broke, I have noticed a severe lack of stoppage in the last few thousand miles and I put it down to the wearing front tyres. Well, Matt said earlier that my brakes looked fooked and he would be right, they've got nasty lips on the front discs and look quite corroded.

I've re-read the thread and I think I'm going to go for;

Brembo HC discs
PF97's
Stainless Steel Braided brake lines
New Fluid

Now, should I go to Yozzasport for these items or do you know cheaper? Also what fluid should I go for and are the PF97's the best all round pad for longeivity, performance and not caking the wheels? I want them to be good and last on the road but also perform well if a track-day comes along.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Steve

Reaction score
Steve,

PF97s, in my opinion, are *not* the best all around performing pads. However I do believe that they are the best track-day pad.

They are very aggressive and will, in my experience, take their toll on paintwork and alloys.

That said they are hands down the most effective track-day pads you can buy for the Clio.

If you can clean your car every week then opt for the PFs. If not there are better 'all round' pads out there.

Nick is still the authoritative voice when it comes to brake pad experience :)

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
Steve,

PF97s, in my opinion, are *not* the best all around performing pads. However I do believe that they are the best track-day pad.

They are very aggressive and will, in my experience, take their toll on paintwork and alloys.

That said they are hands down the most effective track-day pads you can buy for the Clio.

If you can clean your car every week then opt for the PFs. If not there are better 'all round' pads out there.

Nick is still the authoritative voice when it comes to brake pad experience :)

O.

Cheers Ols, I need to re-read more thoroughly it seems. I thought the PF's were the good all-rounders. It gets quite confusing when you know squat about something and there are such varied opinions (eg. Greenstuff).

Nik?