amm

Reaction score
OliS said:
George K said:
I have probably asked this before, but for hill climbs, where there is not any chance to pre-heat, it is all about initial bite from cold. Fade is not an issue - so recommendations please.

BTW can someone please explain why pads such as DS2.11 are described as not suitable for road use, with Mu of 0.78) they look very tasty.

Thanks

I assume the DS2.11's are not suitable for road use as being proper race pads they will have a very high working temperature range and as such won't perform at temperatures generated by road driving.

The best technical data I've found for a range of pads so far is this one by Pagid - http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/htmlpages/techBRP03.htm (But then again you probably know more than this sheet will ever tell you anyway! :wink: )

I think I am tempted by the RS4-2 pads that MrD06 has just fitted, although I'd like to hear some feedback about if there are any dust issues with this pad first...

I'm figuring on going for better discs than the Brembo HC discs, can anyone tell me what makes these discs any different to the standard discs? Can they handle the heat generated by a serious set of pads?

I don't think you will find any other disks that are beter than the hc brembo disks .

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I dont know anyone who uses anything other than standard Renault discs or the Brembo HC's either to be honest.

They are nothing amazingly special, but they are cheap which is the point really. If you run agressive pads then you're going to eat the discs quicker so cheap is good. I'd say they are a slightly softer than the standard Renault discs in my opinion, but all the pads i've used perform better with them and seem to have a much better initial bite.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
MrD06 said:
or go the whole hog and fit 4 pots but AP dont make any nor do brembo.

Brembo do a 4 pot kit setup for the Clio, I know a number of people with them on Cliosport. Expensive, but they do look excellent, i'd love them on the Trophy if i had a spare grand :?

I'm sure Ktec used to sell an AP kit too, but i've never seen anyone with that and cant find it for sale any more.

amm

Reaction score
Nik said:
MrD06 said:
or go the whole hog and fit 4 pots but AP dont make any nor do brembo.

Brembo do a 4 pot kit setup for the Clio, I know a number of people with them on Cliosport. Expensive, but they do look excellent, i'd love them on the Trophy if i had a spare grand :?

I'm sure Ktec used to sell an AP kit too, but i've never seen anyone with that and cant find it for sale any more.

yes nik ktec do a four pot conversion kit it's about £800 but i think it is the high-tec kit and i know some one with one on a 106 gti and thinks it's not that good

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
fazedesign said:
George K said:
Oddly enough the private equity bank with whom I deal occasionally owns a group called TMD, who I think own both Mintex and Pagid - I will check with them, but being bankers I suspect they will not be much help at the sharp end of things!!

yep TMD Friction own Pagid, Mintex and Textar amongst other brands, although I doubt their bankers will be particularly clued up on pad selection :D

based up in cramlington from memory - I used to do a bit with TMD. I may have to give 'em a call......

Reaction score
amm said:
I don't think you will find any other disks that are beter than the hc brembo disks .

Nik said:
I dont know anyone who uses anything other than standard Renault discs or the Brembo HC's either to be honest.

They are nothing amazingly special, but they are cheap which is the point really. If you run agressive pads then you're going to eat the discs quicker so cheap is good. I'd say they are a slightly softer than the standard Renault discs in my opinion, but all the pads i've used perform better with them and seem to have a much better initial bite.

I don't understand what makes the Brembo HC discs any better than the OE discs, other than the fact that they are made by Brembo. So if it's a case that you've got to replace discs regularily due to running more aggresive pads, surely it would make more sense to go for some OE discs from GSF for £30 a pop!?! :?

Surely there have got to be some discs out there designed for running more aggresive pads, what about Brembo Sports and Tarox discs? They command a healthy price premium over the Brembo HC's, but would they last - are they worth the extra cash?

Reaction score
I put Brembo HC on because to me they are the same/very similar to OEM and are cheaper...

O.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
OliS said:
I don't understand what makes the Brembo HC discs any better than the OE discs, other than the fact that they are made by Brembo. So if it's a case that you've got to replace discs regularily due to running more aggresive pads, surely it would make more sense to go for some OE discs from GSF for £30 a pop!?! :?

They are just as cheap, in fact if you go to GSF and ask for OEM replacement discs they will very likely give you Brembo HC's, as that is one of two brands of OEM replacement disc they stock. Or £59 for a pair from Yoz.

The only thing thats better about them is the wear indicators really, and in my opinion they do perform slightly better than the original renault discs I had.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Now a lot of this has gone way over my head but i'll add my pennies worth anyway. Not having done any track stuff i think the fitted brakes are great (i've just been out in company berlingo, v. scary) but they have let me down -change of pants and all that-a couple of times in the wet. what would people recommend for a day to day upgrade?

amm

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Now a lot of this has gone way over my head but i'll add my pennies worth anyway. Not having done any track stuff i think the fitted brakes are great (i've just been out in company berlingo, v. scary) but they have let me down -change of pants and all that-a couple of times in the wet. what would people recommend for a day to day upgrade?

brembo hc discs and green stuff pads come highly recommended by most people

Reaction score
George K said:
I have probably asked this before, but for hill climbs, where there is not any chance to pre-heat, it is all about initial bite from cold. Fade is not an issue - so recommendations please.

BTW can someone please explain why pads such as DS2.11 are described as not suitable for road use, with Mu of 0.78) they look very tasty.

Thanks

george i spoke to one of our customers who hillclimbs, he says standard pads believe it or not!

Reaction score
just re-read the entire thread, i'm happy now we opened everyone's eyes to the HC Brembo discs!!!

our friends in Europe have been running the HC discs on their cup racers and GrpN cars for years

Reaction score
Fred, Thanks ever so much for that insight - I will obviously have to learn to push harder! At least it is a cheap solution - plus may be the HC discs

Reaction score
I have probably bored you all to tears with my quest for pads with better initial bite. Anyway Fred's comments about standard pads set me thinking and I began to wonder if the fact that apart from hill climbing, most of the limited mileage that I do in the Clio (2,800 in the year) is around the local Devon lanes where there is very little opportunity to lean on it, and if i did the neighbours would be up in arms. As a result I suspected that the pads might be glazed. Found a quiet straight lane and did five maximum stops from 80 - the first did not even get near provoking the abs, by the fifth the pedal had gone a bit soft, but things were transformed, much more bite and lock-up despite the abs!
Today the pedal feel is back to normal and the bite excellent.
That part of preparation will be easy/fun in future.
Cost - minimal.

Reaction score
do you have stainless steel brake lines fitted george?? as this makes the biggest difference to pedal feel!!

Reaction score
we don't use them as much now, we now mainly use Mocal Aeroquip, fully stainless (plus we can have them made custom aswell!)

Reaction score
Cue said:
Fred said:
do you have stainless steel brake lines fitted george?? as this makes the biggest difference to pedal feel!!

they better than braided lines?

same thing mate, i should've put stainless steel braided brake lines